USA Basketball 3x3 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball 3x3

Reaction Score
As far as I can see there was no final - since both teams were qualifiers the only teams that played seven games were the two semifinal losers for the third qualifying place. A wee bit weird to not have a winner!

If the goal was for the teams to qualify for the Olympics, then they WERE winners. The qualification was the actual trophy for participating. The other alternative would be more like the winner of the NCAA National Championship choosing to play the runners up in another game immediately afterwards just for funsies. Now THAT would be weird......

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes it is the same as you say when every kid grows up. But for me - it doesn't matter if 3x3 was the same with me vs the kid that plays 3x3 is now. - For example, as a guard which I was- 3x3 was much easier for me. I can get off my shot much easier. I could drive with less people to impair my drive to the basket and take a shot or make a pass with less interference. And overall it was easier for me to make an offensive pass. More players out of your field of vision can read your pass. You can make soft passes on 3x3 that you can't get away with as much as a 5x5.

As a defender - I was good one-on-one for someone my size- but if I couldn't match up well- it was always easier to limit the offensive player on a 5 on 5.

3x3 imo is more 1x1. It just that makes it much different. It doesn't mean It doesn't make me think that it's all bad. But whatever. Just my personal view.

A solid pick and roll game in 3x3 is very effective, as Stef demonstrated time and again. There's not other players coming to play weakside as often as in 5x5. She hit her layups, jump hooks etc. And when help did come, she could still hit them.

Plum and Gray could break down defenders on drives from outside, per your 1x1 observation.

The game is fast. As an older player, I find I can get by as a power forward, setting screens, rebounding and hitting an elbow jumper. The back and forth here in 3x3 would wear me out!

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If the goal was for the teams to qualify for the Olympics, then they WERE winners. The qualification was the actual trophy for participating. The other alternative would be more like the winner of the NCAA National Championship choosing to play the runners up in another game immediately afterwards just for funsies. Now THAT would be weird......
But they called the fifth game a quarterfinal, and the sixth a semifinal. You sort of expect that if you play those two you should actually play a 7th game 'final' as well. In effect, out of the pool play, they create two 2 game tournaments with semifinal and final games and the added a consolation game for the two finals losers.

HHH

Hartford Hall Husky
Reaction Score
Going back to the beginning of this thread, did anybody happen to see the USA’s 21-19 loss to Switzerland in the “Big 12” tournament in Voiron, France? I’ve tried various searches, but can’t seem to come up with any details. I was wondering if perhaps Switzerland just got hot from the outside and the US wasn’t closing fast enough. Thanks for any info….

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Going back to the beginning of this thread, did anybody happen to see the USA’s 21-19 loss to Switzerland in the “Big 12” tournament in Voiron, France? I’ve tried various searches, but can’t seem to come up with any details. I was wondering if perhaps Switzerland just got hot from the outside and the US wasn’t closing fast enough. Thanks for any info….
I thought there was one game, in the pre qualifying tournament, that Plum didn't play and an alternate played. I think she is a college player. It might have been that game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dolson is playing for Chicago tonight. Plum played earlier today. I would assume KLS and Gray will play in their team's next game.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Dolson is playing for Chicago tonight. Plum played earlier today. I would assume KLS and Gray will play in their team's next game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom