Upsets! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upsets!

Reaction Score
Ok, yes, the committee can move teams for valid reasons (nefariously stated) up one or down 1 line. Last year, UConn NET was #2 overall but with their record of 31-6, they were moved to one of the 4 number 2 seeds into Seattle. So, in theory, NET had them at #1 seed but the committee moved them to a number 2 seed. Whether that was from #2 to 6 or 7, I do not know but they were moved at least 4 slots on the S curve.

Oy ve.
How many times does it need to be said:

THE NET DOES NOT DETERMINE SEEDINGS.

It is one piece of information that is used by the committee. It is not the only piece.

Look at the preliminary top 16 seeds the committee release in February. Have they ever been 100% match with the NET?
(Spoiler alert: No)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hey hey... let's stay on topic... :oops:

But I will say that I'm still salty at that Green/Yellow school AND Temple.
I appreciate that your saltiness has no time limits.

I hardly pay any attention to men's hoops anymore, but there are a couple Tourney games from the mid 2000s that I'm not over yet, and probably never will be. Both were epic collapses by the team I was rooting for. Both had lopsided officiating that aided in said collapses. Maybe I don't hate the other team any more at this point, but I kinda feel like those 2 games broke me to some degree, at least in terms of viewing sporting events (I know, not really that important in the grand scheme of things).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So is UCLA beating Colorado in Boulder an upset??

I appreciate that your saltiness has no time limits.

I hardly pay any attention to men's hoops anymore, but there are a couple Tourney games from the mid 2000s that I'm not over yet, and probably never will be. Both were epic collapses by the team I was rooting for. Both had lopsided officiating that aided in said collapses. Maybe I don't hate the other team any more at this point, but I kinda feel like those 2 games broke me to some degree, at least in terms of viewing sporting events (I know, not really that important in the grand scheme of things).

I've never forgiven Purdue for knocking out Duke in the 1980 regional final. I was in second grade, mad at the world.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So is UCLA beating Colorado in Boulder an upset??

I've never forgiven Purdue for knocking out Duke in the 1980 regional final. I was in second grade, mad at the world.
I'm trying to picture that. Got a meme for it?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oh on the other part I guess yeah? At least slight upset because it was on the road.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm trying to picture that. Got a meme for it?

A close approximation

20221128_203701.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan A few hours ago I was out getting my weekend takeout meal, I had on my Duke Winter Jacket and a Duke toboggan. Both of my hands were full, so this guy held the door open as I left. The guy happened to be wearing a Purdue Sweatshirt with a Purdue toboggan :eek::confused: I thanked him but I didn't bring up 1980.

Not according to Vegas. I think the spread was UCLA -2.5.

I wonder what the Massey prediction was.

Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan A few hours ago I was out getting my weekend takeout meal, I had on my Duke Winter Jacket and a Duke toboggan. Both of my hands were full, so this guy held the door open as I left. The guy happened to be wearing a Purdue Sweatshirt with a Purdue toboggan :eek::confused: I thanked him but I didn't bring up 1980

You’re not more upset by 1999?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does 8-9 overall and 4-5 in conference Oakland handing Green Bay their first loss in the Horizon count as an upset? GB is 15-4/8-1.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wait, isn't Purdue a land-grant school? I'm very confused :rolleyes:

Yeah... I think I stated a few years ago that there are a few Land Grants I refuse to root for... Purdue and Michigan State top the list. :mad:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan A few hours ago I was out getting my weekend takeout meal, I had on my Duke Winter Jacket and a Duke toboggan. Both of my hands were full, so this guy held the door open as I left. The guy happened to be wearing a Purdue Sweatshirt with a Purdue toboggan :eek::confused: I thanked him but I didn't bring up 1980.
Awesome that there's someone else that uses the term toboggan. Many years ago, in Jamaica, we met a couple from AL, and in addition to explaining the importance of Auburn/Alabama, they taught me what a toboggan was and sent me an AU one for xmas.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Awesome that there's someone else that uses the term toboggan. Many years ago, in Jamaica, we met a couple from AL, and in addition to explaining the importance of Auburn/Alabama, they taught me what a toboggan was and sent me an AU one for xmas.

:confused: What do other people call them? Hats?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
First conference loss for the Rebs.
Opens a Top 25 spot for Oregon State, Miami, Duke, Syracuse and a host of others just bubbling under the Top 25 in the last polls.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Opens a Top 25 spot for Oregon State, Miami, Duke, Syracuse and a host of others just bubbling under the Top 25 in the last polls.
Oregon State, probably yes.
Syracuse, maybe.

Duke and Miami, no way with all the bad teams they've lost to. Nice attempt of shameless promotion of ACC teams but not gonna happen. Might as well advocate for Clemson and Boston College to be top 25 for beating Duke and Miami.

North Carolina can stay in the top 25 but I'd consider dropping Virginia Tech.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Oregon State, probably yes.
Syracuse, maybe.

Duke and Miami, no way with all the bad teams they've lost to. Nice attempt of shameless promotion of ACC teams but not gonna happen. Might as well advocate for Clemson and Boston College to be top 25 for beating Duke and Miami.
FWIW, Duke is a top 25 team by every statistical measure: 22nd in NET, 17th in RPI, and 24th by Massey. They are 2-3 in Quad 1 and 6-2 in Quad 2. If you poke around the other teams in the 25-30 range, there aren't a lot that have many marquee wins, and a number with some head scratching losses.

(and no, this message wasn't paid for by @triaddukefan ;))

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom