Upset alert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upset alert

Reaction Score
That was in my mind the biggest upset in tournament history. UVA was not a threat to win the National championship. Purdue was. And, as someone said above, UMBC hadn’t lost to Sacred heart, U Ha and Central.
They are the shortest team in division one and one of the worst defensively 359 out of 363 teams. And they lost their conference title game (Merrimack not eligible.)

The biggest upset, by far, in tournament history. And I still can’t believe what I just saw!!!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That was in my mind the biggest upset in tournament history. UVA was not a threat to win the National championship. Purdue was. And, as someone said above, UMBC hadn’t lost to Sacred heart, U Ha and Central.
I agree. FDU didn't even win their league title and had to win the play-in game. UMBC was put right into the 1st round.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Farleigh Dickenson brings back memories of an upset that never happened.
In 1998 we were playing Fairly Ridiculous in the NCAA Tournament. The game was at the then named MCI Center and living in Va I tried desperately to get tickets. I had no success at all. I actually had given up and was prepared to watch it on TV. On the day of the game I was working out at the Reston Fitness Center. Around lunch hour I was talking to a couple of fellow fitness nuts about the tournament and commented how frustrated I was that I could not get a ticket. Suddenly a gentleman across the room asked " Who needs I Ticket?" I responded. "I do". He proceeded to say he was on the athletic department at George Mason, the facility manager for the regional game and gave me a gratis, no fee ticket. We had Khalid El-Amin, Kevin Freeman, Richard Hamilton, Rickey Moore, Albert Mouring and Souleymane Wayne and were heavily favored. The seats were great, Three rows behind the bench, opposite to UCONN. WE won in a close game 93 -85. Many lead changes, FD played control ball, FD would hold on to the ball, give it to Elijah Moore who would score usually before the clock ran out. He was unconscious and wound up with 43. We went on beat Indiana two nights later and I was so proud to wear my Husky sweater amidst the throng of Indiana supporters in their white sweaters with the big.red UI emblazoned on their chests. It was great to root so loudly, so pro UCONN and so close to Bobby Knight. We beat Washington next and lost to North Carolina in the Elite 8. Just a thought I had while watching the big upset of Purdue. The biggest tournament upset ever.

Reaction Score
They are the shortest team in division one and one of the worst defensively 359 out of 363 teams. And they lost their conference title game (Merrimack not eligible.)

The biggest upset, by far, in tournament history. And I still can’t believe what I just saw!!!
So FDU is 275th in Kenpom after the win over Purdue. Lowest rated team to ever win an NCAA tourney game?

Reaction Score
9070C7CD-E663-4506-AD2C-460D8ADD2190.png

Reaction Score
Well, FDU played NJIT back in December, and the Knights only won by two points. Sounds like it would be another nail-biter for the Boilermakers!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Purdue must have NJ small school PTSD. First St Peter’s last year and now FDU. :confused:

Maybe next year we can get them to play a div 3 school like NJIT?
I believe Monmouth is next in line.

Reaction Score
So FDU is 275th in Kenpom after the win over Purdue. Lowest rated team to ever win an NCAA tourney game?
They were 299th coming into the game, which is about a -10.8, so I'm gonna bet the answer is yes. Heck, within the last 5-6 weeks FDU has lost games to teams ranked 327 (Sacred Heart), 338 (St. Francis PA) and 340 (Central Connecticut) in the KenPom, not to mention their early-season loss to UHart, which finished 362nd out of 363 teams in KenPom, as their Division I hoops program comes to a close. It's mind-boggling statistically.

Reaction Score
They were 299th coming into the game, which is about a -10.8, so I'm gonna bet the answer is yes. Heck, within the last 5-6 weeks FDU has lost games to teams ranked 327 (Sacred Heart), 338 (St. Francis PA) and 340 (Central Connecticut) in the KenPom, not to mention their early-season loss to UHart, which finished 362nd out of 363 teams in KenPom, as their Division I hoops program comes to a close. It's mind-boggling statistically.
And UHart has basically a D3 roster this season.

Reaction Score
Purdue has been overrated all year. If Eden wins POY it’s a total joke. I think the Big 10 slow style of ball allowed that team to hide a lot of warts. The reality is they had a giant inside and other than that they had a couple freshman guards that looked like deer in the headlights. When you have teams full of 23 year olds playing their 5th year you can’t trot out two 18/19 year olds with zero postseason experience. They’ve squeezed out a lot of 2-3 point wins against bad teams all year and last night it finally caught up with them.

The committee may want to start using metrics like KenPom a little more than just cutting and pasting the AP Poll when it comes to seeding.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
FDU coach played at Wesleyan
He’s an intense guy. But he can have fun
Good for him and the team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads