Updating Predictions and Expectations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updating Predictions and Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They were ranked immediately after the Mich St win but we're dropped after the loss to NM and I don't think they ever made it back. Last year's team struggled with the mid and low majors, this year's edition is handling those games with ease.

There seemed to be a concerted effort to marginalize UConn by the national media due to the APR sanctions last year. They were not eligible for any post season play and even in the final Big East Tournament, as we knew it, only Georgetown was consistently given credit for the most Championships.

At the end of the day, UConn's final 20-10 record probably didn't warrant a ranking, but they were 19-7 at one point and teams with similar records at that time were ranked in the low teens-high twenties. Ohio State football was in a similar position for a few years in that it has not been eligible for post season play. However, being undefeated and in a major conference, they forced the AP and voting coaches' hands. Basically, if the Huskies were no statutory threat to make the Tournament, no reason to rank them, even if they were deserving of votes...

Connecticut's Team RPI is currently 25 and for what its worth, Joe Lunardi currently has UConn as a 3 Seed coming out of the Midwest. The other 3s are Florida, Nova and Wichita St. I think UConn could lose 5 games total and still probably garner a 4 seed.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm almost positive that SDSU wasn't 8th on the S Curve. No way that Duke was the best 1 seed that year. In fact, SDSU may have been 5th on the S Curve.

Duke is exempt from the S Curve. Or I don't know what I've been watching for the last 15-20 years.

Reaction Score
I'm was expecting a bit more than what I've seen to date. I don't think they are as good as last year's team yet.
Cmon. We replaced a non entity with kromah, who will close games for us a lot. Napier is healthier, Giffey is also playing at a much higher level. We also have three bigs we can rotate through. I do agree calhoun needs to improve, however daniels is playing very well. He just needs to build on it.

Reaction Score
We've played basically evenly with every team we've faced around the top 100. Except against the cupcakest of cupcakes, there's no sure thing for this team.

And, as such, I do think we'll split with Louisville, Memphis, and Cincy (losing on the road, most likely). I think we'll lose another road game in a tough environment, maybe even SMU later this week, and a WTF home game where we just don't show up. That's 5 conference losses.

If we are able to gel and really get something rolling on offense, and become more stout in the middle on defense and on the boards, we could be as good as 15-3, which, coupled with an AACT victory, would probably give us a 3 seed at 30-4. (Recall that in 2011, SDSU was 32-2 going into Selection Sunday out of a fairly strong MWC, and was only granted the #8 spot on the S Curve -- the weakest #2 seed.)

I would have to think that a 30-4 UConn team would deserve more than a 3 seed. The MWC two years ago was a two man show with SDSU and BYU, if I'm remembering correctly, and I don't think SDSU played as difficult an OOC slate as UConn did this year. Assuming we go 30-4, that would mean we would have likely beaten Louisville, Memphis, and Cincy at least once, and then probably again in the conference tournament. A UConn team with victories over Louisville, Memphis, Cincy, Indiana, and Florida with only four losses would get a two seed, IMO.

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
We've played basically evenly with every team we've faced around the top 100. Except against the cupcakest of cupcakes, there's no sure thing for this team.

And, as such, I do think we'll split with Louisville, Memphis, and Cincy (losing on the road, most likely). I think we'll lose another road game in a tough environment, maybe even SMU later this week, and a WTF home game where we just don't show up. That's 5 conference losses.

If we are able to gel and really get something rolling on offense, and become more stout in the middle on defense and on the boards, we could be as good as 15-3, which, coupled with an AACT victory, would probably give us a 3 seed at 30-4. (Recall that in 2011, SDSU was 32-2 going into Selection Sunday out of a fairly strong MWC, and was only granted the #8 spot on the S Curve -- the weakest #2 seed.)

The top four seeds in 2011, in order, were Ohio State, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke. So SDSU was actually the best #2 on the S curve - paired with the weakest #1 (Duke), assuming the S-curve held true to form, which doesn't always happen.

They didn't get to play each other, though, since there was no regional consolation game.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Discussions about 2 or 3 seeds are moot points at this stage. The challenge now for Coach Ollie is to right the ship!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
16-2 in conference play

28-3 overall

2 seed, elite eight

forgetaboutit

unless we decide to play 40 minutes, we're a bubble team

enough talk about our rankings, we don't deserve to be ranked at this point

I'm beginning to think I was wrong about this team and this season, and I don't like that feeling

then again, I never worried about disappointing losses before February in the JC era, maybe I should cut this team more slack

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn lost to a team this bad? Did uconn lose to a USF team that was really bad? I can't explain what happened last night.

Reaction Score
forgetaboutit

unless we decide to play 40 minutes, we're a bubble team

enough talk about our rankings, we don't deserve to be ranked at this point

I'm beginning to think I was wrong about this team and this season, and I don't like that feeling

then again, I never worried about disappointing losses before February in the JC era, maybe I should cut this team more slack

I felt the same way at about this point in the 2012 season, and we never turned things around.

On the other hand, that was a very young team, in contrast to this veteran group. We'll see.

Reaction Score
I felt the same way at about this point in the 2012 season, and we never turned things around.

On the other hand, that was a very young team, in contrast to this veteran group. We'll see.

Are you talking last season or the season prior? The season prior has no comparison because they had people who didn't give a rats a** anymore. This team cares, they may not be perfect but they are a team. Guys on the sidelines like Nolan at the end of the game and Olander who were up off their seats waving towels and screaming……nothing like the Oriahki's and others who should have stayed home! There is something here but they just need some help in areas and understand what it takes…..they will.

Reaction Score
The 3 bigs you reference aren't good. There may be potential still, but right now the fact that they are so woeful exposes the whole way teams will attack UConn.

Cmon. We replaced a non entity with kromah, who will close games for us a lot. Napier is healthier, Giffey is also playing at a much higher level. We also have three bigs we can rotate through. I do agree calhoun needs to improve, however daniels is playing very well. He just needs to build on it.

Reaction Score
Now that we have suffered what has been called a "wtf" loss, I hope that the Texas road trip with the taste of Houston lingering in their mouths will bring the team more together.

I am worrying that the ten toes in back to the NCAA fervor is waning. Last year anyone who could play did, probably too much. Time is contested now.

I think the deference to presumptive best players is causing issues. We have been waiting a long time on Omar, as frequently discussed. Deandre seemed to step up playing Otto Porter last February, but he did not rise to the level of competition yesterday as he proclaimed in press interviews. If he played Thomas the way he played Porter, different game. As it was, I don't understand why Daniels got Thomas after Olander fouled out.

Maybe the heightened competition between players at the 3 and their allegiances with Bazz and Boat who feed them is a creeping issue. Can't see a reason there are not plays for Niels.

It looked like the 5s on the bench were pulling for the team, but I don't imagine the committee situation is as good for chemistry as if one player had asserted himself into the primary role.

They will win or lose together. Good luck Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom