2022 Recruiting: - Updated Composite Rankings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Updated Composite Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You keep saying that. I think you disagree with their initial approach to re-building and mischaracterize the entirety of the approach (which I do know just a little about).
Care to accurately characterize the approach or just hold it over our heads?

whats the mischaracterizarion you take issue with? Imputing Hurley’s reasoning for the very apparent shift to more skilled players versus athletic ones? Whether it was always the plan or a necessary reaction? We’d all love to know why he started with athletic players versus skilled ones?

Regardless of Hurley’s reasoning, which is what you claim to have insight into, the shift in tactic is unanimously supported

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's because they're projecting his NBA ability more than his curent productivity. He'll be a beast of a college player. The NBA is an uphill battle for him
That's a great insight in very few words. Like a Venn diagram. Two different worlds with very little overlap. But very real.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I see Karaban as the Classic fundamentals solid player from the 1970s. Athletic. Great shooting. Great passer. High IQ. Great movement off the ball. Except he is 6-8. There's definitely 3+ inches gained over several generations. Can he play 2 through 4 - maybe 5. Depends on matchups.
Exactly. That is why he reminds me somewhat of John Havlicek. 3 inches shorter. Complete fundamentals, will to win, execution. The 6-8 thing is why I could never wrap my head around Majic Johnson way back then. A 6-8 point guard? C'mon. Then he plays center in the NBA finals! Talk about positionless. Actually he was all positional!

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
. does psolo12 think he's a coach? Nobody is plugging anyone into a number. And we no longer talk about a shooting guard or this/that. Its a silly stance that youve carried through to a ... silly debate
No I just have a general baseline knowledge of basketball that lets me know that a good coach like Hurley wouldn't do that.

Reaction Score
Anyone have any idea when 247, Rivals, or ESPN tend to update their rankings? I know ESPN just updated a couple of months ago.
Was wondering if there was a history or if it's just random timing each year?

Reaction Score
Anyone have any idea when 247, Rivals, or ESPN tend to update their rankings? I know ESPN just updated a couple of months ago.
Was wondering if there was a history or if it's just random timing each year?
Not sure exactly how frequently, but I know 247 has been VERY slow this year. I don’t think they showed that we got Clingan until a couple days after we landed him. Not sure why or how, but I wouldn’t bank on 247 doing frequent updates as of now.

ESPN usually updates every few months or so to my knowledge

Reaction Score
Would the rankings change after the reclassify? Which also means we have an open schollie for 2022 :)

Reaction Score
I think Hans Sprungfeld called it correctly. DH went after the best players he could get in his first couple years. He scored big with JB but the others were less skilled.
With the steady progression of the team, he and the staff have elevated their sights to players with more skill.
Watch out.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I think Hans Sprungfeld called it correctly. DH went after the best players he could get in his first couple years. He scored big with JB but the others were less skilled.
With the steady progression of the team, he and the staff have elevated their sights to players with more skill.
Watch out.
Highly disagree, akok and gaffney, spirngs were great grabs, sanago and Jackson were also great grabs, Hawkins diggins Johnson are literally on the same recruiting level as the other 5 kids. And with his 3 classes he's built a defensive mixed team with high motors and athletic ability. Every kids seems handpicked to be on this team

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Highly disagree, akok and gaffney, spirngs were great grabs, sanago and Jackson were also great grabs, Hawkins diggins Johnson are literally on the same recruiting level as the other 5 kids. And with his 3 classes he's built a defensive mixed team with high motors and athletic ability. Every kids seems handpicked to be on this team
Looking at this comment and the one it quoted , I see more of a 'both/and' than an 'either/or,' which is a good thing.

They made be inexact or even code words, but "athleticism," "talent," and "skill" tend to organize around different characteristics, and the roster has steadily progressed toward a greater sense of balance. Again, a good thing.

Reaction Score
I see your point (at least relative to ratings), and athleticism, but my comment was aimed at demonstrated skill levels while at UConn, not what we saw in HS highlight films and what we hoped they would do. JG's stats were improved as a sophomore and AS's stats were solid for a freshman big man. The others?
Not so much.

We all love Akok, and his attitude, athletic ability, commitment to making himself a better player. All those traits are readily apparent, but his freshman stats weren't indicative of a high skill level and his last 10 games showed a decline in shooting %'s. Here's a breakdown of his full season and his last 10 games:
Full season (25 games)
-28 min/game
-41.3% FG's (48.9% on 2's)
-26.1% on 3's
-59.4% on FT's
-5.5 rebounds/game
Last 10 games:
-31.2 min/game
-31.6% FG's
-17.4% on 3's
-57.1% on FT's
-5.2 rebounds/game

Gaffney did improve first year to second, but has not yet shown what most would call a high skill level. The good news is he was statistically a better FG and 3 Point shooter in his last 10 games but fell off a bit on FT's and Assists/game. Quick look at his stats:
First year/Second year:
-19.2/19.4 min/game
-33.6%/41.0% FG's (44.8% on 2's last year)
-26.4%/36.2% on 3's
-76.9%/82.2% on FT's
-2.1/1.5 Assists/game

In his last 10 games of 2020-2021:
-17.8 min
-45.2% FG's
-38.9% on 3's
-76.9% on FT's
-1.3 Assists/game

As for Richie Springs, he's had two years to show he can play at this level and apparently hasn't shown enough, skill-wise or otherwise, to DH to warrant playing time.

Andre Jackson has yet to show any skills other than athleticsm and spectacular passes. Quick look at stats: 2.7 points in 16.1 minutes/game in 16 games, shooting 41.0% on FG's (63.6% on 2's) and 11.8% on 3's.

Finally, Adama Sanogo, does the bulk of his scoring at the basket but has shown a nice touch on short hooks/jumpers. 55.4% on FG's for the year, along with 57.7% on FT's and 4.8 rebounds, but a little better in his last 10 games except on FT's.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not sure exactly how frequently, but I know 247 has been VERY slow this year. I don’t think they showed that we got Clingan until a couple days after we landed him. Not sure why or how, but I wouldn’t bank on 247 doing frequent updates as of now.

ESPN usually updates every few months or so to my knowledge
That's pretty amazing. With all the data, staff and computers they have Tcf could probably do it in a couple of hours or a day.

Reaction Score
Updated rankings, reclasses, and other stuff

4 Dariq Whitehead- SG- NJ (Duke Commit)
5 Derek Lively- C- PA (not in top 7) (UK Crystal)

8 Jarace Walker- PF- FL
17 Zion Cruz- SG- NJ
18 Jalen Washington- PF- IN (UNC Commit)
19 Chance Westry- CG- PA (LSU Crystal)
30 Kyle Filipowski- PF- MA (Duke Crystal)
35 JJ Starling- PG- NY
39 Donovan Clingan- C- CT (UConn Commit)
40 Mark Armstrong- CG- NJ (Nova Commit)
41 Roddy Gale- SG- NY (OSU Commit)
44 Tyrell Ward- SF- MD (Xavier Commit)

51 Cam Whitmore- SF- MD (not on list)
52 Rodney Rice- SG- MD (not in top 6)

53 Ty Rodgers- SF- MI (Michigan Crystal)

56 Dug McDaniel- PG- VA (Michigan Commit)
58 Jayden Epps- CG- VA (Illinois Commit)
59 Justin Taylor- SF- VA (Cuse Commit)

65 Favour Aire- C- MD (OSU Crystal)
74 Tyler Nickel- SF- VA
75 Judah Mintz- CG- DC (Pitt Commit)
82 Alex Karaban- SF- NH (UConn Commit)
86 Otega Oweh- SG- NJ
90 Alphonzo Billups- SG- VA
98 Yann Farell- PF- NH
107 Jameel Brown- CG- PA (PSU Commit)

110 Will Richardson- CG- NJ
111 Donald Hand- CG- VA
112 Avery Brown- PG- CT
120 Christian Ferman- C- VA (VCU Commit)
128 Blair Thompson- SG- MA
131 Dasonte Bowen- PG- MA (Iowa Commit)
140 Christian Watson-PG- DC (Gtown Commit)

136 Quadir Copeland- SG- PA (Cuse Commit)
140 Jaquan Harris- CG- NJ (Hall Commit)
173 Denver Anglin- CG- NJ (Gtown Commit)
296 Jaquan Sanders- SG- NY

2021 RECLASS:
92 Corey Floyd- SG- NJ (UConn Commit)

37 players
15 remaining
24 offers
8 outstanding
2 commits

Reaction Score
I don't think the rebuild is taking too long. It's faster than I expected. I think they made some mistakes roster building and they readjusted the plan after this season. That's all. And honestly it's pretty obvious. A recruit literally mentioned it in an interview. It's pretty shocking you don't see that.
Rebuilds always take too long.
Chief likes Tarace Walker.

Reaction Score
Hand just committed to BC (of all places!); they must've told him he'd start day one.

Reaction Score
I don't think the rebuild is taking too long. It's faster than I expected. I think they made some mistakes roster building and they readjusted the plan after this season. That's all. And honestly it's pretty obvious. A recruit literally mentioned it in an interview. It's pretty shocking you don't see that.

It’s pretty shocking you believe recruiting pitches to be absent of gamesmanship.

Reaction Score
Care to accurately characterize the approach or just hold it over our heads?

whats the mischaracterizarion you take issue with? Imputing Hurley’s reasoning for the very apparent shift to more skilled players versus athletic ones? Whether it was always the plan or a necessary reaction? We’d all love to know why he started with athletic players versus skilled ones?

Regardless of Hurley’s reasoning, which is what you claim to have insight into, the shift in tactic is unanimously supported

I’ve talked about it before, as have others. It’s hardly a secret. Start with the guys you can get- not always going to be complete players, but the type you can take a chance with (athletic, competitive, intense, that kind of thing). They won’t always beat other with skill, but they can compete and wear teams down. Once the culture is established (hate that word, coaches love it) and the classes they’ve brought in have started to cycle through, fill in with what you still need. Just one woman’s take… carry on.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty shocking you believe recruiting pitches to be absent of gamesmanship.

Remind me where I said that? Your hard-on for Hurley is weird dude. No one is infallible. I realize you talk to the staff, but you sound like a serious sycophant

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remind me where I said that? Your hard-on for Hurley is weird dude. No one is infallible. I realize you talk to the staff, but you sound like a serious sycophant
No need to resort to name calling, which seems to be your default approach. @NJHoops brings up some good points, just because Danny’s makes recruiting look easy to the Casual Fan, doesn’t make it so. What @NJHoops is saying is the foundation needs to be built before the luxury house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom