Upcoming season’s 3 Point Shooting | The Boneyard

Upcoming season’s 3 Point Shooting

Reaction Score
It’s not even summer yet but there’s no reason to avoid what was a big hole in our offense last year. We couldn’t shoot the ball. Unless someone knows something I don’t we lost one of our best 3 point shooters in Larrier for all of his other deficiencies and this hole in our offense is maybe worse than it was last year. And I don’t buy into players magically improving over the summer. I saw Jalen and Vital miss So many wide open uncontested 3’s and Gilbert wasn’t a good 3 point shooter to start with. Will any of the new players mitigate this?

Reaction Score
I have faith in Jalen, Alterique (If healthy), and Vital when it comes to 3 point shooting. Tyler Polley actually had the best 3PT shooting percentage on the team last year. Maybe the new staff can help build on that.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of it had to do with the freedom “he who must not be named” gave them. More ball movement and working our way to an easy bucket is where coaching comes in. 3s were a big problem but so were long 2s. We didn’t have much of an inside game maybe due to lack of trust.

Coaching will be huge in fixing this issue.

pj

Reaction Score
Coaching will help by generating more open shots and training passers and shooters to get the ball with the shooter in good position and ready to get the shot off quickly. With improved point guard play adding Alterique, there should be more openings. So Jalen's 33% and Christian's 32% should improve.

Then, if Alterique's improved shoulder allows him to shoot better, that will help. Tarin Smith shoots 33% from 3, he's not a primary threat but he will have to be defended on the perimeter, opening the floor. Polley shot 42%, if he can bulk up and play a stretch 4 to get more minutes that will help a lot. Then Sid Wilson's 3 point shooting was said to be much improved in practice last year. Brendan Adams is said to be a good shooter.

So potentially we have 7 guys who can shoot 33% or better from 3, and there's potential to have 4 on the court at the same time if Polley can develop an ability to defend and rebound at the 4.

Last year UConn shot 32.6% from 3, for #288 in the nation. To get to mediocre / slightly above average, #100 in the nation, the team will have to average 36.3%. To get to where 3 pt shooting is a strength, e.g. #40 in the nation, is 38.3%. Villanova was 40.1%.

I think mediocre / slightly above average, 36-37%, is within reach next year. I think 3 point shooting will be OK. Not great, but OK.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
3 point shooting opens up the paint, a virtual necessity for a team without a player standing taller than 6'-7" (excluding media guide inflation). UConn couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when uncovered. There was no reason for any of the five opposing defenders to step out from the lane.

Reaction Score
I always wondered, didn’t the greatest 3 point shooter play for us at one time? Ray could be given that task and he could put a regimen in place for these players. He had a very specific and precise way of practicing shooting 3’s, that involved a lot of work I admit.

Reaction Score
I think a different offense will help. In a moment of sadism last year, I charted our possessions against someone (in a game we won no less) and we only got good looks about 1/3 of the time. That means 2/3 of the possessions were strictly one-on-one or heat check stuff. It doesn't matter how good a shooter you are, you are significantly worse with a hand in your face, rushed, etc. By no means do I think any of our guys are Ray/Ben etc., but I also know they are not as bad as they have looked the last few years.

Give me some spacing, ball movement, screens that are set with any semblance of conviction and I think we can hit enough shots to with 20 games. I know we will play D.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good ball movement makes three point shots easier. Shooting in rhythm makes three point shots easier.

Our guys are going to be better shooters because they are going to be taking easier shots.

Reaction Score
I don’t know that we’ll make many more threes next year, but I’ll be happy if we simply miss fewer.
Hit the nail on the head. URI's strength wasn't 3s last year, so they didn't take many. 32% of their FGA were 3s. UConn was even worse, but 36% of their shots were 3s.

UConn shot too many 3s last year. Hurley has made it pretty clear that he wants Polley to get bigger so he can play big minutes at the 3, and I'm sure his shooting is the main reason why. But shooting will still be a weakness of this team. Hopefully they shoot fewer, and get better about creating and converting open 3PA.

Reaction Score
One would almost think from reading this thread that Ollie's teams didn't shoot the ball far better from three then Hurley's over the last several years.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Hit the nail on the head. URI's strength wasn't 3s last year, so they didn't take many. 32% of their FGA were 3s. UConn was even worse, but 36% of their shots were 3s.

UConn shot too many 3s last year. Hurley has made it pretty clear that he wants Polley to get bigger so he can play big minutes at the 3, and I'm sure his shooting is the main reason why. But shooting will still be a weakness of this team. Hopefully they shoot fewer, and get better about creating and converting open 3PA.
UConn's half court offense was atrocious and had been for 7 years, regardless of coach. Defense, transition O and the success of Walker, Lamb, and Napier as the shot clock entered single digits hid how little movement UConn had on the offensive side of the floor.

I recall a statement about last year's offense (but don't recall who) that it was the easiest to scout and defend. That, above all other deficiencies, must improve.

Husky25

Reaction Score
One would almost think from reading this thread that Ollie's teams didn't shoot the ball far better from three then Hurley's over the last several years.
Shot selection (and all it entails) > % made.

Reaction Score
Hearing that Hurley has already removed the "use entire shot clock and jack a 3" page from the UCONN playbook. We should be fine.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You wanna bet that this Hurley team shoots worse than Ollie's teams?

Reaction Score
Since I’m able to see the future, count on J.A. and CV to improve their 3pt fg%. This will help. We don’t have any knock down shooters but we will be better than last year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The 2 most important attributes of a consistent 3-pt shooter is someone who is well-conditioned + good form (this is why Ray Ray shined). I don't believe the team was well conditioned last year... but some had decent form.

Hurley keeps mentioning Jalen needs to develop an outside shot. Considering he shoots pretty well from mid-range and has a decent-looking stroke, I think he can develop a decent 3-pt shot if he gets his conditioning where it needs to be. Also, if Gilbert is healthy, Jalen will not be as exhausted from constantly ball-handling, running the offense, and creating shots for himself or others. Gilbert being on the floor will allow Jalen to play off the ball and take better 3-pt shots. I expect his percentages to improve dramatically if he gets in shape, works on his shot, and AG is healthy.

Gilbert is a wild card, but he did not shoot the 3 particularly well in limited appearances in a limited offensive scheme.

Vital will shoot a higher percentage just because our offense will undoubtedly be better. I expect better ball movement and he'll be able to take shots in rhythm, rather than contested heaves like we saw from him on occasion last year. If he looks to penetrate first, defenses will have to play off him a bit, and his outside shot will open up for him.

What's the scouting report on Sid's shooting ability? Many are claiming he'll see some significant minutes. I know 3-pt shooting doesn't always translate from HS>NCAA, but curious.

People keep referring to Polley's decent percentages, but that's on such a small sample size that I'm not sure we can really call him an above-average shooter at this time. If his per-game volume stays the same and he keeps up the percentages for another year, I'd be impressed.

Overall, this team is definitely very talented, but hard to see them getting far in the post-season without a true 'knock-down' shooter. And in today's CBB world, you need more than a few guys who are reliable shooters. However, I am excited to see Hurley 'unlock' this team's talent by utilizing it more effectively, so I think the team as a whole will exceed expectations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You wanna bet that this Hurley team shoots worse than Ollie's teams?

On average? Or last season?

Ollie's teams took 3,925 threes over his six seasons and made 1,397. That's good for 35.6%, which would have put us in the middle of the pack last season (URI hit 35.2% of their threes last season and finished 163rd in the nation).

I don't know. If you set the bar at 35.6%, I'd probably take the under, but it could go either way. Adams is probably closer to the 35% guy he was as a sophomore and Vital is probably closer he was to the 37% guy he was as a freshman. I wouldn't bet on Gilbert or Wilson being north of 35%. Depends on how much Polley plays and how many of them Hurley wants to take. It sounds good now to say we're not going to be a three point shooting team, but it isn't like we have many options inside. Our best option may be to hit between 33 and 35% of our threes on heavy volume and try to win games ugly with our defense.

Reaction Score
Run good offense meaning pass the ball around the top and get Jalen, AG and Smith driving to the rim. I think we will see a lot of drives and dishes for dunks or kick out for threes this season.

Reaction Score
...People keep referring to Polley's decent percentages, but that's on such a small sample size that I'm not sure we can really call him an above-average shooter at this time. If his per-game volume stays the same and he keeps up the percentages for another year, I'd be impressed.

You're right that it's a small sample size on Polley, but it takes an above-average 3-point shooter to hit six in a row in game competition. He then hit 3 of his next (and last) 7, which itself is 42.9%. Thing is, after hitting 6 for 6 -- and regaining the starting 3 position -- he took only 7 three's in the final 4 games. Leave it to KO to play a guy for his hot hand and then fail to run an offense around him. I believe that Polley, more than anyone, is going to benefit from coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom