Upcoming season’s 3 Point Shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upcoming season’s 3 Point Shooting

Reaction Score
Eric Cobb was the best 3 pt shooter on the team last year. The dude is a marksman.

Reaction Score
Eric Cobb was the best 3 pt shooter on the team last year. The dude is a marksman.
In all seriousness though... if you recall last year the SMU game in late January. We had just come off two 20 pt losses and there was a lot of talk about Jalen, CV, and someone else (I forget who) putting a lot of time in in the gym the night before. It was one of the best games of the year for those two players.

The point being, last year's team lacked discipline and prep routines. Those are two things that are critical to being a team that shoots the ball well. The third thing is getting good shots in rhythm, which happened so rarely last year, you'd be hard pressed to remember a single occurrence. I'm confident that we will probably find that there are good shooters on this team that we didn't know existed.

Look at Giffey and Daniels... they shot 29% and 30% in 12-13. The next year they come back both leading the conference in 3 pt% and shooting over 42% and 48%. Context matters a whole lot when it comes to shooting numbers.

Reaction Score
You're right that it's a small sample size on Polley, but it takes an above-average 3-point shooter to hit six in a row in game competition. He then hit 3 of his next (and last) 7, which itself is 42.9%. Thing is, after hitting 6 for 6 -- and regaining the starting 3 position -- he took only 7 three's in the final 4 games. Leave it to KO to play a guy for his hot hand and then fail to run an offense around him. I believe that Polley, more than anyone, is going to benefit from coaching.

Problem with Polley is he didn't bring anything else to the table last year. Don't get me wrong I'll take a spot shooter who can hit an open three all day but he really couldn't defend the SF/PF spots too well and isn't a rebounder. Also, can't take anyone off the drible and no back to basket game.

If he can get stronger and prove he can take his man hard to hoop and still bang open jumpers he will play big minutes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We'll shoot 34.5% from 3 this season.

Thank you for settling this.

That would have ranked 200th this year, just below Nebraska & Minnesota at 34.6%.

Rhode Island ranked 163 at 35.2%, so it would represent a drop-off for all of our coaches.

36.4% ranked 97th (Top 100).

Fwiw, Hurley's alma mater Seton Hall shot 36.5%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom