Upcoming Rankings | The Boneyard

Upcoming Rankings

Reaction Score
So,#5 Texas (unfortunately losing Rori for the season) loss to #10 Baylor, #6 USC loss to #2 UCLA, #12 Utah loss to #8 Colorado, #13 ND loss to unranked Syracuse, #17 Ohio State loss to unranked Michigan and previously undefeated #18 Marquette gets demolished by #15 Uconn this week.

#3 NC State, #9 Stanford and #19 Louisville still have to play today, but after seeing how UConn have been playing since the Texas game…If UConn isn’t at least ranked #10 this week, there are some real UConn haters on that voting committee. Period.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree. They dominated Marquette, should do creighton too. This team is tight. They play for each other. A little like Ohio state on the harassment. I do see them taking the Big East Again. Loved the game today.
Go Huskies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So,#5 Texas loss to #10 Baylor, #6 USC loss to #2 UCLA, #12 Utah loss to #8 Colorado, #13 ND loss to unranked Syracuse, #17 Ohio State loss to unranked Michigan and previously undefeated #18 Marquette gets demolished by #15 Uconn this week.

#3 NC State, #9 Stanford and #19 Louisville still have to play today, but after seeing how UConn have been playing since the Texas game…If UConn isn’t at least ranked #10 this week, there are some real UConn haters on that voting committee. Period.
So ... you think a team should move from #15 to #10 or higher because of style points in beating a lower-ranked team at home?

Not likely just from an objective standpoint.

We'll probably move ahead of Notre Dame because of their loss to an unranked team. Louisville losing today would not impact UConn's poll ranking since they are already below us.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
So,#5 Texas loss to #10 Baylor, #6 USC loss to #2 UCLA, #12 Utah loss to #8 Colorado, #13 ND loss to unranked Syracuse, #17 Ohio State loss to unranked Michigan and previously undefeated #18 Marquette gets demolished by #15 Uconn this week.

#14 Va Tech beats 6-8 Pitt by 50 91-41, #16 Ind barely beats a 6-6 ILL, #18 NC barley beats 8-6 Clemson at home 82-76, ans #22 FL State beats a 4-9 Wake Forest 73-61. Watch Va Tech get rated higher then UConn because it's in the ACC. #9 Stanford is playing Morgan State who is rated #318 in SoS by Massey. Both Louisville and NC State are playing against teams that should give them some competition.

Reaction Score
So ... you think a team should move from #15 to #10 or higher because of style points in beating a lower-ranked team at home?

Not likely just from an objective standpoint.
Ha are you serious? A team should move up because they have proven that they are better than a #15 team. What has #4 Iowa done to deserve their ranking other than having CC shoot the ball 45 times a game just for them to win? Or #7 LSU deserve their ranking for playing essentially D2 teams all season with only beating one ranked team that was lower ranked to them at the time?

UConn has beaten 4 top 25 teams, playing one of if not the toughest schedule this season and only losing to teams that are currently top 5 in the country. Allll of this with losing 3 key players for the season and depending on freshmen. So, you cannot be serious with your comment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we move to 13 or maybe 12. Not sure we will move ahead of Kansas State, but I expect Utah and ND to drop below us. K State did beat Iowa and UNC so... I think we get to 13.
I could see that happening. Personally, I feel USC is ranked too high at #6 as well. Their schedule has not been tough at all and are so dependent on JuJu Watkins production to win. I think they were really exposed in that UCLA game tbh and should be out of the top 10

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha are you serious? A team should move up because they have proven that they are better than a #15 team. What has #4 Iowa done to deserve their ranking other than having CC shoot the ball 45 times a game just for them to win? Or #7 LSU deserve their ranking for playing essentially D2 teams all season with only beating one ranked team that was lower ranked to them at the time?

UConn has beaten 4 top 25 teams, playing one of if not the toughest schedule this season and only losing to teams that are currently top 5 in the country. So, you cannot be serious with your comment.
I didn't say UConn wouldn't move up. The implausible part is that we would move up five or more spots based on this one result.

I'm not arguing right or wrong, but just based on historical empirical evidence, teams generally don't make big jumps in the polls for beating lower-ranked teams, unless multiple teams immediately ahead of them lose to unranked or lower-ranked teams.

Reaction Score
I didn't say UConn wouldn't move up. The implausible part is that we would move up five or more spots based on this one result.

I'm not arguing right or wrong, but just based on historical empirical evidence, teams generally don't make big jumps in the polls for beating lower-ranked teams, unless multiple teams immediately ahead of them lose to unranked or lower-ranked teams.
I totally agree with you there. I guess my point is, is that this season it’s seems that voters aren’t looking at the entire picture when making their decisions…because logically I don’t see how they have certain schools higher than others based their resumes alone. If they did, UConn without question should be in the top 10

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think we move to 13 or maybe 12. Not sure we will move ahead of Kansas State, but I expect Utah and ND to drop below us. K State did beat Iowa and UNC so... I think we get to 13.
I look at the point totals more than the ranking positions. UConn was only 2 points behind Virginia Tech, but more than 100 points behind Utah and Kansas State. Extremely unlikely we erase that gap with KSU. With Utah, maybe, we'll see. Many voters have the illogical tendency to punish teams even for close losses to higher-ranked teams, which was the case with Utah-Colorado.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I totally agree with you there. I guess my point is, is that this season it’s seems that voters aren’t looking at the entire picture when making their decisions…because logically I don’t see how they have certain schools higher than others based their resumes alone. If they did, UConn without question should be in the top 10
Because you have idiots that don't actually pay attention to teams and vote on who they think should be ranked and not teams that deserve to be ranked.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So if all the voters are biased against UConn, that must include Carl Adamec, who had us at #15 on his most recent ballot, and even Rebecca Lobo, who had us outside the top 10 at #12 on her ballot.

Reaction Score
A too long screed on rankings and whether they gauge accomplishment, potential or competitiveness.

Teams shouldn't move down merely because they lose to a higher ranked team, unless there's other factors like the MoV or home/away, etc. Losing to a lower ranked team should result in some downward movement, but how much? Whatever we think of them, if the rankings mean they should have won, then they move down.

In UConn's case, they beat a lower ranked team, which by itself doesn't have to mean they should move at all. We might conclude that the rankings got it right. However, the dominance of the win might suggest they should move up a bit. I mean, a lot of these ranked teams haven't really shown much against other ranked teams, built reputations on cupcake schedules, etc.

Take Iowa, for example. They got a good win against VPI and split the series with K St. Other than those games, the rest of their schedule is teams they should have beaten by 20+ points. This tells me they're being ranked not on accomplishment but on potential. That ranking may be a fair assessment of potential, or it may not be. When I glance at their schedule, what I see is 2 possible losses to tOSU and another to IU, and maybe one more to MD. If they end up with 5 losses, either we think that's about right for the #4 ranking, or we ought to conclude that potential-based ranking is inapt.

If I look at UConn's schedule, they have 2 possible losses against SC and ND, which would put them at 5 losses. But they have no losses to teams they should have beaten and they have really good wins against ranked teams. Does that mean they're equivalent to Iowa? Should they then also be ranked #4. Maybe not, but I'd like to see the reasoning behind the difference.

Or take USCw for example. Ranked #6, they've got a good win and a not-bad loss. But looking at their conference schedule, I see 6 more possible losses to UCLA Stanford Utah and Colorado. If this goes according to my expectation and they end up with one good win and 7 losses (albeit to ranked teams), where do we think they should have been ranked all along, just going by potential? Their potential is to lose 7 games. On the other hand, ranking them on accomplishment now, they probably belong in the bottom half of the top-20.

Or take Stanford, at #9. They have good wins against IU and FSU, an ot squeaker against Duke that exposed some weaknesses and a bad loss against Gonzaga. The rest of their schedule is cupcakes. If we're going by potential here, I see possible losses to UCLA UTAH Colorado and even USC. With 5 losses against an unimpressive schedule, their potential puts them around 15 in my view.

#10 Utah has 3 losses and could lose as many as 5 more in conference. Their potential should place them somewhere at the bottom of the top-25.

I don't think UConn has earned a high ranking. #15 maybe a touch low but perhaps not by much... yet. But if we win out in conference and beat ND but lose to SC, we'll end the season with 4 losses. Everyone on the boneyard knows an NC is a long shot for this team, and maybe the ranking should reflect this. If we have to beat UCLA or SC, or both, to get the title, the odds are heavily against us. But that's the same boat a lot of the current top-10 is in, and our chances may be better than theirs. On the other hand, if we take rankings to be comparative odds of beating other ranked teams in March, in other words of competitiveness, then I'd say we're definitely competitive right now or three months from now, with Iowa, USC, LSU, Colorado, Stanford, Baylor, K St, Utah, ND and VPI. We could win (or lose) against any of them.

Reaction Score
So if all the voters are biased against UConn, that must include Carl Adamec, who had us at #15 on his most recent ballot, and even Rebecca Lobo, who had us outside the top 10 at #12 on her ballot.
It's obviously common to feel that the system is against one's favorite team. Every team feels this way. LSU fans aren't saying "they're treating us better than we deserve".
you're 100% right: it's hard to think that any organization is against uconn wbb. Listen to a broadcast: most analysts are waiting for a chance to talk us up. We still get the most national coverage and almost always get a ridiculously biased location seeding in March. UConn wbb success has propped up wbb for years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Eric in that we jump over the 2 teams that were slightly ahead of us last week and lost this week--Utah and ND. I also like Plebe's point about UConn being only 2 points behind Va. Tech. Today's big MOV may give us a few more points and may jump us over the Hokies. We still have more losses than the teams ranked ahead of us, so that will limit our upward movement, but getting to 12 this week and 10 next week is realistic.

Reaction Score
So long as a team keeps winning it's very rare that they get punished (i.e. moved down) because some other team had a good game. UConn will move up a position or 2, but that's due to other teams losing. Not because of style points on games that should be won anyhow.

We can debate the righteousness of this, but that's pretty much how it works.

Reaction Score

UConn has beaten 4 top 25 teams, playing one of if not the toughest schedule this season and only losing to teams that are currently top 5 in the country. Allll of this with losing 3 key players for the season and depending on freshmen. So, you cannot be serious with your comment.
Absolutely. But their chemistry has just kicked in the last 3 or 4 games. I would like to see them play UCLA again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When does the next poll come out? Monday, as usual? Or delayed by one day due to the holiday?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When does the next poll come out? Monday, as usual? Or delayed by one day due to the holiday?
Monday noon, per Carl Adamec and he’d know because he’s one of the voters.

May be subscription if you’ve already read your allotment

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom