Upcoming home and home series with SDSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upcoming home and home series with SDSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well clearly i'm thrilled. when i heard SDSU was joining the BE, i thought it was for all sports and i was ecstatic. but when i realized it was for football only, i was less happy. now at least i get to see the men play. it's rare i get to see them play in person...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
kind of off topic question, but since the carrier classic was brought up here, will that be on the same ship and in the same location as the one this year?
Doubtful it will be on the same ship - pretty sure that one was getting ready to deploy. Quite sure it will be in the same harbor and whatever carrier is in dock.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Play two road games against Top 50 teams within (presumably) 48 hours of one another to start the year?
Makes a lot more sense than being jet lagged twice with an extra 10 hours of flight time. Hope it's on a weekend so I can take a little SD vacation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that SDSU and Boise got a bunch of home and homes with Big East schools as part of joining the league for football only. It appears that Calhoun was quick with the "not it" when Marinatto has asking for volunteers to go to Boise.

Reaction Score
I am surprised by the positive comments about the location. I have been three times in my life and not impressed once. Most recently I went for my brother's wedding. I hope that is the last trip to SD. It seemed to just be a big, crowded nothing.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I guess we should never play in Hawaii again or any other early season tournament according to this logic.

"Play two road games against Top 50 teams within (presumably) 48 hours of one another to start the year?"

I forgot about the intimidating 14,000 opposing fans at the Laihana Civic Center that UConn played in as their first or second game of the year that's happened in the past.

What's that? It's never happened? You mean people aren't reading what I said? Hmm.

zls44

Reaction Score
Makes a lot more sense than being jet lagged twice with an extra 10 hours of flight time. Hope it's on a weekend so I can take a little SD vacation.

, people. Why do you think both games would be in the same year?!?!?!?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Fantastic news. I will certainly be making the drive down from L.A. for both games hopefully.
Don't think you'll be able to get tickets to the carrier classic. Tickets are pretty much reserved only for military. If you watched this years, it was an amazingly docile crowd considering who was playing. It was like listening to the crowd at a ballet.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so this is good becuase why? they have a cool student section and a coach that used to be at a major program? this is so stupid. if its part of the AZ on a boat trip then thats fine, but if its a seperate trip then its stupid. playing @ temple would make alot more sense then this. or even @ butler. we don't do alot of recruiting in SD. i don't see it. just becuase were in a bad spot fball wise right now and they are in a good spot by upgrading doesn't mean we have to welcome them with open arms and try to be the nice guy. shitt.

zls44

Reaction Score
so this is good becuase why? they have a cool student section and a coach that used to be at a major program? this is so stupid. if its part of the AZ on a boat trip then thats fine, but if its a seperate trip then its stupid. playing @ temple would make alot more sense then this. or even @ butler. we don't do alot of recruiting in SD. i don't see it. just becuase were in a bad spot fball wise right now and they are in a good spot by upgrading doesn't mean we have to welcome them with open arms and try to be the nice guy. shitt.

Either you aren't aware of how good SDSU has been the last five years, or you just aren't paying attention.

It's a fine trip, but Amore just said it wouldn't be in 2012. Good. No need to start the season with two games that tough. If they threw cupcakes in, they'd be out in SD a week for 3 games. I don't even think the team was in Maui that long.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
guess i'm just on the other side of the fence on this one. well i hope we crush them in that arena up in the mountains they have.

Reaction Score
Actually its more like a team vacation (the away game that is). San Diego is beautiful. Isn't that also where the 'ship' game will be played next year?

Good for west coast recruiting as well, and Calhoun has been successful in pulling good talent out of that state/region.

Reaction Score
I am surprised by the positive comments about the location. I have been three times in my life and not impressed once. Most recently I went for my brother's wedding. I hope that is the last trip to SD. It seemed to just be a big, crowded nothing.

I was there for a week and a half in October and I liked it quite a bit.
Went to parks, out for dinners with friends, was up at UCSD and was amazed by it, lots to do with kids. 3 of the days we did amusement parks, Seaworld was the fave.
Only downside was Mexican food. Went to all the recommended places and never found anything out of the ordinary.

I didn't find it crowded at all.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
may be part of some sweet heart deals SDSU and BSU will receive for joining the league in football

Reaction Score
My guess is we play AZ in San Diego next year, while SDSU visits us. Then, the following year we'll play out there. Giving us San Diego 2 years in a row.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Don't think you'll be able to get tickets to the carrier classic. Tickets are pretty much reserved only for military. If you watched this years, it was an amazingly docile crowd considering who was playing. It was like listening to the crowd at a ballet.

So the huskies should feel right at home, just like they are back at the XL center....

Reaction Score
SDSU fan here.
This link was posted on our message board and was getting a lot of views. We're obviously excited to play UCONN as it will really beef up our OOC. We sellout most of our games anyway, but it will definitely bring a lot more attention to our program that week. We are definitely not a one horse town and often times have to compete with the Chargers for attention.

The reason we are scheduling a home/home with you guys is because when we joined the Big East for football it forced our hoops team to leave teh MWC and go tot he Big West. As a result we no longer get quality conference games against UNLV and New Mexico and part of the deal for us joining for football is that the conference will "fascilitate scheduling" for basketball. It's reported that it will be 4 big east games a year but I'm skeptical on that number consistently.

Honestly I'm glad our program is getting to the place where we can schedule home/home's with programs like UCONN. For years big name schools wouldn't visit us unless they had a major hand in our rich high school hoops recruiting area (Arizona). We have been a good, talented team that nobody really knows about with a great home court advantage. It was too much of a risk for coaches to schedule a game where the perception was that a game against SDSU is an easy win when the reality is we are a tough game.

But last years sweet 16 run and 34-3 record along with Kawhi getting drafted 15th has changed a lot of that.

Really surprised to hear some of the negativity toward our fan base. There are idiots at every school with no exception but I think most of us were so stoked to have such a good year we were living in the moment taking it all in.

As far as the Kemba bump. That was a big time play by a big time player. Our freshman was showing some attitude, and your senior took advantage of it and flopped. He did flop. Watch the post game inteverview hwen they ask hima bout it and he answers with a huge grin on his face. It was a flop. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a smart move and I certainly would never call it cheating. I gave him credit for staying level headed when our freshman was too hyped up. (By the way if you want to read up on how that freshman is doing, you can read it here.. he's an athletic freak http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...2889/the-dunk-attempt-that-cost-a-front-tooth)

I'm excited for our home and home but don't think they will be a couple of easy wins. We are good this year and we have the core of our team coming back next year along with two impact transfers. I think we'll crack the top 25 soon this year and spend all of next year in the top 20.

Anyway good luck in the Big East this year. I haven't kept up with your progress that much but it looks like Jeremy Lamb is picking up right where he left off last year smoking us in Anaheim.

Reaction Score
As far as the Kemba bump. That was a big time play by a big time player. Our freshman was showing some attitude, and your senior took advantage of it and flopped. He did flop. Watch the post game inteverview hwen they ask hima bout it and he answers with a huge grin on his face. It was a flop.

This video is what the bump looked like to UConn fans:

Reaction Score
^ funny

First SDSU fan I like. There is a first time for everything.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The SDSU freshman clearly knew he was going to bump Kemba, he braced for contact before they bumped. Kemba clearly flopped, too, but it wasn't like the kid just brushed him.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this home and home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom