Unpacking the UConn women’s season and looking ahead at the 2020-21 roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Unpacking the UConn women’s season and looking ahead at the 2020-21 roster

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree with your concern but the good news is that the existing ten are all really good athletes that have a proven work ethic..................when the bench players are on the floor you can be assured they won't be out gunned athletically or in the desire department.......
You're absolutely right with the ten players we have. But with, say, 12 players, you can sustain two injuries and still have enough warm bodies to do run-throughs on the road. To me, 12 is optimal, 11 is good.

Reaction Score
My biggest worry about next year's team is leadership. Anna, ONO and CW don't seem to have that personality. I think Meg's rebounding and Crystals clutch 3's, will be missed immediately. Team rebounding will be a big importance.

UConn's offense identity will look a lot different, mostly the perimeter 3's. With all the athletic bodies and and raw skill talent, we'll probably look to make easy offense with defense pressure.

We'll have a team of Combo guards that should be able to iniate the offense. I like that we'll have taller Guards. Makes our switching defenses less difficult.

Aubrey Griffin is the X-factor. Her growth will lead to our success. Skill set (shooting, dribbling, passing) has to grow to match the athleticism.

Evina Westbrook has to walk in like she's a senior and bring the college vet experience to the team. Evina and CW are probably first option when we need one on one offense. Of course it's all predicated on her health.

Not expecting much from our Freshman. Mostly because there will be struggles in the adjustments to college and expectations to play at UConn. Paige and Edwards will be heavy in rotations late in the season. Paige will have Breanna Stewart struggles and then make her mark late season.

The Big East will be good for Geno. Better competition will make it a lot easier to keep the kids attention and make the buy in to the program a lot easier. DePaul, Seton Hall and Marquette will be early favorites to be rivals. Tourney play will tell us a lot.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well we have alot of talent that needs to be developed. I expect Liv to be much improved and more dominate. CW will be at a new level. Anna is going to be special. Now bring on Westbrook Paige and Griff (with an outside shot) and we are going to be damm good. We have no senior leadership but we have a nucleaus next season. I expect a great season. Looking at the improvement at the end of the season and where we were and now next season with the summer to improve even more. It could be a special season. By the time March comes around we will be the team to beat and we loose nobody with another great class coming in

Coming back with a good nucleaus is key for the next two seasons. We still need to develop cohesiveness and continunity. Westbrook Paige and the freshman class are going to be terrifc but they need time. You just dont pop them into a microwave and presto theyre AA's

We will be a terrific passing team next season and having Griff with an outside shot like she showed in high school, along with Westbrooks skills and Paige...well we're gonna be tuff to beat.

I also expect UConn to pick up a couple of more really good players. Dont be surprised to be surprised

I predicted all season that Liv would make a junior leap similar to that of Walker, and become the "dominant" player we want and need her to be. I look forward to being surprised!! :D

Reaction Score
My biggest worry about next year's team is leadership. Anna, ONO and CW don't seem to have that personality. I think Meg's rebounding and Crystals clutch 3's, will be missed immediately. Team rebounding will be a big importance.

Not expecting much from our Freshman. Mostly because their will be struggles in the adjustments to college and expectations to play at UConn. Paige and Edwards will be heavy in rotations late in the season. Paige will have Breanna Stewart struggles and then make her mark late season.

Bueckers is a natural leader...............I expect that she and Westbrook will be established team leaders by mid season

Reaction Score
Didn't know where to reply since the post is closed. It wasn't Florida Gulf Coast that proclaimed themselves champions. It was the UCF Knights.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I, personally, think that the potential for a great team is within the next UConn Team. Sometimes, when good shooting persons like Megan Walker and depart, we immediately, think of the weakness. Somehow, I feel that with the addition of the new personnel, that void will be filled. With Evina and Anna, I think that guard leadership is there and let us not underestimate the contribution that the new recruits will make in this arena like Nika, and Paige. Frankly, I am more optimistic about this next year than I was when we lost Napheesa and Katy Lou. Let's face it, there are a lot of good choices on this bench to prepare for a challenging season.

In so far as opponents in the Big East, @Carnac, I think that DePaul will always be competitive. I do not know the others. However, it will be fun watching all of these new teams step up to play UConn. I would bet that the coaches are telling all of their potential recruits that the league is going grow and be more competitive with UConn and that will be a great selling feature. In a couple of years, I look to see that this league will be much more competitive.

Because Megan and Crystal are gone, that opens the door for two more players to start and step up. My father used to always tell me that "work doesn't care who get's it done." I'll bet Geno doesn't care who puts the ball in the basket as long as somebody does. A basket counts the same no mater who shoots the ball. Somebody is going to get a green light next year that they would not have gotten if Meg had returned.

Right now, I see Christyn, Anna and Olivia with "bright" green lights every time they go down court!!! If they get the ball and an "open" look, they are not going to defer. ;) Don't look for Aubrey to defer from now on either. She ran out of deferral cards. If she sees daylight, she's taking it to the hole, and she'll do it with Geno's blessing.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Didn't know where to reply since the post is closed. It wasn't Florida Gulf Coast that proclaimed themselves champions. It was the UCF Knights.

That's correct!!! It was their football team that did that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I predicted all season that Liv would make a junior leap similar to that of Walker, and become the "dominant" player we want and need her to be. I look forward to being surprised!! :D
[/QU
I like Liv a lot. Thought she was often underutilized on the offensive side of things. I Wish she had the presence of another bonafide big. Watching her compete against other bigs this last season and there were unfair advantages. UConn's lack of depth in height, meant she had to play a more careful game. She was often facing two headed monsters in Baylor, SC and Oregon. In the past we could get away with lack of height but this team perimeter defense by far was the worse compared to teams in the past which put Liv in a lot of clean up positions leaving backside open.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I too have been saying Liv's junior year will be her real sophomore leap. I think a big surprise will be with Edwards when Geno tells her the same thing he told AG this year: Just go out, rebound, set screens, make good passes, and run the floor. Your offensive opportunities will then come. People are going to be surprised how good her motor is and how tenacious she'll be on the boards.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker may have spoke to soon. Since this pandemic war broke out, things are changing and this may also effect the playing year of the WNBA. If that proves true, Megan Walker may not have the opportunity to play professional basket either here or in Europe. I do not know what her situation may be, but there may be a small probability of her changing her mind and staying with UConn. Maybe there are those out there who have some piece of information that right now is not public information. Just saying. Who knows what is going on in these strange times.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Liv was still "under construction". That is, she is still developing. She's not as consistent as she needed to be.
Olivia had the skill and ability to average a double double this year. She spent time on the bench in foul trouble she should not have.

Hopefully she can stay out of foul trouble this coming season. I was extremely impressed with UCF's 6'3" junior Masseny Kaba and Cincinnati's 6'0" forward Angel Rizor who consistently did work in the paint against us.

When Liv's fg% goes up, so will her teammate's confidence in her, and she'll get more touches on the block. She doesn't have to make every shot, she just has to make every shot she takes a good one.
Remember the Seattle Sonic's Jack Sikma, and his turn-a-round 8' bank shot? ;) If Olivia doesn't make a shot underneath the basket, she should be sent to the line, even against opponents of similar height. Notice the way (and speed) he turns to face the basket. Liv can do this, but it's got to be quick.

Reaction Score
I’m counting the months until next year. So excited for our 10 gals. My gut feeling is Paige and Anna will rock the passes to all the gals running and cutting the floor. Seems like a long time, but when you’re over 60 time speeds by! Can’t wait until the 20-21 season! Go Big East! Be Safe All BY!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Megan Walker may have spoke to soon. Since this pandemic war broke out, things are changing and this may also effect the playing year of the WNBA. If that proves true, Megan Walker may not have the opportunity to play professional basket either here or in Europe. I do not what her situation may be, but there may be a small probability of her changing her mind and staying with UConn. Maybe there are those out there who have some piece of information that right now is not public information. Just saying. Who knows what is going on in these strange times.

I'm not a doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but the word is from the medical professionals is that they don't expect to see a SIGNIFICANT flatting of the curve BEFORE the end of JULY.....if then. The WNBA season is half over by the end of July. This year, the WNBA season starts it's 36 game season on May 15 with 3 games.

They're scheduled to play only 8 more game days after July 31. In in word, their season would be over before it starts. Last year, the league championship final game was on October 10. If they began play the first of August, they would have to play a condensed season in 2 months of maybe 20-25 games, with a limited/reduced playoff field, to finish about mid October. If they were willing to stretch it out until the end of October, they may be able to squeeze in all 36 games. They would have to begin the season the 1st week in August, with a lot less off days between games. :mad:

They suspended play from July 11 - August 15 to accommodate the Olympic games. Since the Olympics have been postponed until next year, she may still be able to play overseas during the summer if the WNBA's season is canceled. It's also possible the W does their schedule over again since there won't be any Olympic games. They have plenty of time to re-do it. I doubt if any professional league is willing to jump the gun to start or resume play unless they receive the blessing from FEMA and their respective league medical professionals.
I believe Walker is gone. Her mind is already made up, and she's mentally preparing herself for play at the next level. She would benefit from another year, but I don't see her walking her declaration back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to see Olivia bulk up alittle.
I think we are saying the say thing but my hope for ONO is she gets stronger and more confident on defense (i.e. beats offensive player to ball like Gabby could) and learns how to use her strength to push off and get open for the layup or 10 footer.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Megan Walker may have spoke to soon. Since this pandemic war broke out, things are changing and this may also effect the playing year of the WNBA. If that proves true, Megan Walker may not have the opportunity to play professional basket either here or in Europe. I do not know what her situation may be, but there may be a small probability of her changing her mind and staying with UConn. Maybe there are those out there who have some piece of information that right now is not public information. Just saying. Who knows what is going on in these strange times.
I was thinking about this earlier today and pondering whether and where to comment about this. It seems to me the NCAA should waive any renouncing of college eligibility in these extraordinary times. Let her come back and be an outstanding college student-athlete. And mind you, I don't say this to be a UConn homer. How could she factored in the effect of a novel virus and a world-wide pandemic? Do the right thing, NCAA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier today and pondering whether and where to comment about this. It seems to me the NCAA should waive any renouncing of college eligibility in these extraordinary times. Let her come back and be an outstanding college student-athlete. And mind you, I don't say this to be a UConn homer. How could she factored in the effect of a novel virus and a world-wide pandemic? Do the right thing, NCAA.
I forget the exact guidelines, but for the men it has to do with hiring an agent. I'm not sure what the guidelines are for the women, but the draft has not taken place. I would THINK all she would need to do is remove her name from the draft if she wanted to come back for her senior year...

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think we are saying the say thing but my hope for ONO is she gets stronger and more confident on defense (i.e. beats offensive player to ball like Gabby could) and learns how to use her strength to push off and get open for the layup or 10 footer.

Liv already has her Master's Degree in pushing off. She doesn't get called for it as often as she could. Perhaps she'll learn (over the summer) to position herself after she receives the entry pass to separate herself just a bit from her defender enough for a clean open shot. Especially when playing against an opponent of similar height or taller. :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Maybe she has a weight setup at home. Weight room at Werth Center is closed. My gym is closed, as I think most are.
What I want is for her to be in the gym with someone that teaches her how to drop that left leg effectively, how to do a better up and under, how to keep that ball up higher on her layups, and some sort of finger roll or jump hook. She also needs to work on her FT shooting and her 15 footer. Defensively her tutor needs to show her how to box out better, how to read the ball off the rim better in order to get into position sooner, and of course, how to block shots without constantly swatting at the ball. With so much time away from playing all of this is doable.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What I want is for her to be in the gym with someone that teaches her how to drop that left leg effectively, how to do a better up and under, how to keep that ball up higher on her layups, and some sort of finger roll or jump hook. She also needs to work on her FT shooting and her 15 footer. Defensively her tutor needs to show her how to box out better, how to read the ball off the rim better in order to get into position sooner, and of course, how to block shots without constantly swatting at the ball. With so much time away from playing all of this is doable.

Oh...... Preach my brother!!!! :)

She could watch film on Nneka Ogwumike. She's very very good (and consistent) with the up and under. Being in the correct position is crucial in playing winning basketball. What happens if 1 player is out of position on defense? (which freshmen sometimes tend to be). It usually results in an easy uncontested basket for the other team. :confused:

Reaction Score
The inexplicable decision of Megan Walker to skip her senior season at UConn (so far as I can remember the first player to enter the draft after 3 years) will make the 2020-21 team a weaker one than was seen two weeks ago. The squad with Walker had the distinct look of a Final Four contender an possible national championship. In addition, she had a chance to be national player of the year, but now it is a stretch to consider the team of top four quality, although it could be so.

We can expect that Williams, Nelson-Odoba, and Makurat are almost certainly locks for starting. The other two starters will be Westbrook, Bueckers, and/or Griffin with Edwards in contention for a lot of playing time. As of this moment, I see Griffin and Edwards as the first players off the bench. But, the composition of the starting five is less important than the five who are on the floor at crunch time in a big game.

Two things to pay particular attention to for next season are who is going to take the big shot when needed and who is going to provide leadership on a team without any seniors. The team has after all lost its two most experienced players for the third year in a row and will be an inexperienced one. There seems to be potentially a great deal of talent and we do not know if there will be any transfers or not.

I hope the NCAA does not relax transfer rules because what is now an increasing tide will quickly become a tsunami and I do not want to women’s game to become like the men’s, where teams like Kentucky hire players for one year before they turn pro. The last thing the women’s game needs is to become more like the men’s by making it so much easier for players to change teams.

One last point, with all the hype Paige Bueckers is getting, one would think that she is the greatest thing to come along since white bread. We hope that she is the next Diana Taurasi or Larry Bird who can lead the Huskies once again to the promised land, but we should keep our expectations under control. She hasn’t set foot on campus yet and, if she can play effective point next season, that will be fine. I endorse the comments of Geesworld.

Reaction Score
The inexplicable decision of Megan Walker to skip her senior season at UConn (so far as I can remember the first player to enter the draft after 3 years) will make the 2020-21 team a weaker one than was seen two weeks ago. The squad with Walker had the distinct look of a Final Four contender an possible national championship. In addition, she had a chance to be national player of the year, but now it is a stretch to consider the team of top four quality, although it could be so.

We can expect that Williams, Nelson-Odoba, and Makurat are almost certainly locks for starting. The other two starters will be Westbrook, Bueckers, and/or Griffin with Edwards in contention for a lot of playing time. As of this moment, I see Griffin and Edwards as the first players off the bench. But, the composition of the starting five is less important than the five who are on the floor at crunch time in a big game.

Two things to pay particular attention to for next season are who is going to take the big shot when needed and who is going to provide leadership on a team without any seniors. The team has after all lost its two most experienced players for the third year in a row and will be an inexperienced one. There seems to be potentially a great deal of talent and we do not know if there will be any transfers or not.

I hope the NCAA does not relax transfer rules because what is now an increasing tide will quickly become a tsunami and I do not want to women’s game to become like the men’s, where teams like Kentucky hire players for one year before they turn pro. The last thing the women’s game needs is to become more like the men’s by making it so much easier for players to change teams.

One last point, with all the hype Paige Bueckers is getting, one would think that she is the greatest thing to come along since white bread. We hope that she is the next Diana Taurasi or Larry Bird who can lead the Huskies once again to the promised land, but we should keep our expectations under control. She hasn’t set foot on campus yet and, if she can play effective point next season, that will be fine. I endorse the comments of Geesworld.
In your starting 5 with Paige, you don't have someone who can play the 4 position which means that you don't have a strong secondary rebounder. I also think that Evina's natural position is at the point where she averaged 15 ppg and 5.5 assists per game as a sophomore on an average Tennessee team(19-13). She will definitely start and may be the best player on the team if she is healthy. I can see Aubrey starting too and being spelled by Edwards. I think however that as always, Geno will start his 5 best players. I agree 100% about Paige. The first year is very difficult especially at UCONN and she will be 3 years younger than many of the players she will be facing. I also agree completely about Megan's decision especially in light of the health emergency for which there was at least cautionary information. As one BYer expressed, this decision was apparently made a long time ago. I think she got some very bad advice, if any. The "go-to players" at the end of the game next year may be a "go-to committee" of Anna, CW, ONO and Evina but I think we are going to see Evina emerge as the leader. I watched film of her again. She has it all. If there is a backcourt of her and Paige at times, it can be very special.

Reaction Score
Liv was still "under construction". That is, she is still developing. She's not as consistent as she needed to be.
Olivia had the skill and ability to average a double double this year. She spent time on the bench in foul trouble she should not have.

When Liv's fg% goes up, so will her teammate's confidence in her, and she'll get more touches on the block. She doesn't have to make every shot, she just has to make every shot she takes a good one.
Notice the way (and speed) he turns to face the basket. Liv can do this, but it's got to be quick.

I get your point....................ONO may have missed some sitters but interestingly she lead the team with a .552 shooting percentage which was actually higher then her .546 free throw percentage...........fixing that second number may be the difference between a few wins and losses......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One comment....IF Griff devleops a consistent outside shot she could be POY and all questions will be answered

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom