Unpacking the UConn women’s season and looking ahead at the 2020-21 roster | The Boneyard

Unpacking the UConn women’s season and looking ahead at the 2020-21 roster

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By ALEXA PHILIPPOU MAR 17, 2020

Next year’s UConn roster was bound to feature a good bit of turnover — the Huskies were set to replace five seniors, headlined by point guard Crystal Dangerfield, with an incoming class of five freshmen. But Megan Walker’s surprising decision to leave for the WNBA means the 2020-21 team will feature just as many newcomers as returners.

Other Courant articles featuring UConn wbb:
UConn women end season at No. 5 in final AP Poll.

We’ll never know how good this UConn women’s team, Megan Walker could have been, but the future still looks bright.

Mike Anthony: Megan Walker’s UConn departure for the WNBA doesn’t make sense in timing, or in her developmental timeline.

Reaction Score
Read Mike Anthony's article. Agree 100%. Same with Andra. Wasn't playing much for Miss. St. Hurt her chances at being drafted by a WNBA team by leaving UConn.

Reaction Score
Lexi had a pretty good season this year. Andi looked pretty good last year, but was seemingly last person off the bench this year.

I'm really happy for Lexi's success.....................really hard to explain her amazing turnaround.................she was an air ball and turnover machine in the 3-4 minutes per game that she played at UConn...............I'd blame it on a major lack of confidence that she apparently overcame upon her return to Texas.................

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO, with Megan, UCONN was the best team heading into next season and my favorite to win the NC. A few other teams were close, but just not as good. With her loss, there are more question marks, and I doubt we start the season #1 in the polls.

I still believe we are the best team. The offense just did not flow this year for most of the season. I said in another thread that I thought Megan and Christyn did not co-exist well on the floor (not from a chemistry perspective - no issues, just seemed to never have great games at the same time), and Crystal (and Geno) were unable to really get the offense moving in ways we've seen in the past.

New team, new PG, new blood and energy, and the 3 starters coming back will be a year better. I think it will take the team time to find their stride, but when they click, it will be something special...

Reaction Score
IMHO, with Megan, UCONN was the best team heading into next season and my favorite to win the NC. A few other teams were close, but just not as good. With her loss, there are more question marks, and I doubt we start the season #1 in the polls.

I still believe we are the best team. The offense just did not flow this year for most of the season. I said in another thread that I thought Megan and Christyn did not co-exist well on the floor (not from a chemistry perspective - no issues, just seemed to never have great games at the same time), and Crystal (and Geno) were unable to really get the offense moving in ways we've seen in the past.

New team, new PG, new blood and energy, and the 3 starters coming back will be a year better. I think it will take the team time to find their stride, but when they click, it will be something special...
I think Geno is going to look for a continuation of what began towards the end of last season and will want it to begin with the start of the next season. Look for the aggressive, trapping defense and the transition game and constant movement on offense. As you say, it may take time to adjust to each other like each team does, but there will be 5 players (Evina included) who know the system on offense and defense, so I expect more of the same, not a struggle to find themselves like last year. And then, of course, there is Paige and she will just make everyone individually and collectively better.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Olivia, Christyn, Anna, Aubrey, Evina, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Mir and Piath. Heck of a team. Size, athleticism, diversity and depth, not to mention incredibly talented.
My concern is going into the season with only ten players. Irrespective of how I and others might feel about grad transfers generally, I would take one (if good enough, natch) simply to supply another warm body.

Carnac

Reaction Score
My concern is going into the season with only ten players. Irrespective of how I and others might feel about grad transfers generally, I would take one (if good enough, natch) simply to supply another warm body.

Hi Gus. Nice to see you posting again. You were missed. I’d like to see a 12 player roster next season.

Reaction Score
I'm a firm believer in sr leadership. I think losing Meg Walker is a huge blow because not only sr leadership I but thought she was a legit potential number 1 player POY candidate . Losing possibly he best player in America is a blow. We've lost our 2 best players and we have no "college seniors.

With all that said-- I think Evina Westbrook has to have a big year. The bigger the year-- the greater the team. Every other player has a ceiling. I expect Paige to be dynamic but just like any frosh not named Stewie-- their will be a game in NCAA's I expect she'll struggle. The better Evina is-- the less it matters if Paige struggles in a big game.

Can Evina be a POY candidate?

Reaction Score
Your right about Evina being a Key she could fulfill the senior leadership. She was also one of the top 5 players in her high school class. I would hope had had plenty of time to work on her three point shooting. She was a slasher type player but with Meg and Chrystal gone, that is one area we will be possibly short in. No doubt Paige can shoot the ball. Hopefully, the baskets are as large as they are in Minnesota for her. Remember Anna was O for the US for a while. The baskets were bigger in Poland. I think if Evina is healthy she will give us 15 to 20 a game. Ono will add to her scoring and so will Anna. Aubrey's offense will improve as well. What the freshmen bring will be a bonus. We will be OK

Reaction Score

Much will depend on match ups next year. UConn will be quicker and better shooting team than most with deeper bench than past few years. Agree that we will be in running for National Championship but not sure I want to face South Carolina. They will have similar assets with MUCH more size.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Much will depend on match ups next year. UConn will be quicker and better shooting team than most with deeper bench than past few years. Agree that we will be in running for National Championship but not sure I want to face South Carolina. They will have similar assets with MUCH more size.

Speaking of matchups, a poster on the men’s board asked a question that I’ll ask, who in the NBE will become UConn’s biggest rival?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Olivia, Christyn, Anna, Aubrey, Evina, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Mir and Piath. Heck of a team. Size, athleticism, diversity and depth, not to mention incredibly talented.
Great ingredients but I'm not sure how long the pot will need to simmer before its soup.

Reaction Score
I, personally, think that the potential for a great team is within the next UConn Team. Sometimes, when good shooting persons like Megan Walker and depart, we immediately, think of the weakness. Somehow, I feel that with the addition of the new personnel, that void will be filled. With Evina and Anna, I think that guard leadership is there and let us not underestimate the contribution that the new recruits will make in this arena like Nika, and Paige. Frankly, I am more optimistic about this next year than I was when we lost Napheesa and Katy Lou. Let's face it, there are a lot of good choices on this bench to prepare for a challenging season.

In so far as opponents in the Big East, @Carnac, I think that DePaul will always be competitive. I do not know the others. However, it will be fun watching all of these new teams step up to play UConn. I would bet that the coaches are telling all of their potential recruits that the league is going grow and be more competitive with UConn and that will be a great selling feature. In a couple of years, I look to see that this league will be much more competitive.

Reaction Score
I love the chemistry of the 2021 team. I see a pass oriented, unselfish team. Don’t get me wrong. I see the Anna-Paige combo creating plays that will leave opposing bigs confused and out of breath. Liv will explode getting dishes from them. Christyn will average 20, Evina near that. The bench will be major contributors for a change.

Meg was a great individual player, deserving of awards, but I was unsure how well she meshed with this team. I think much of the reason she declared for the draft—an odd decision since the WNBA and foreign play was then in doubt, now almost a certainty—was because she realized that. I think Geno did what he could to make Meg feel at home but...it is what it is. It might take a couple of months for the 2021 team to jell but I for one can’t wait to watch them—and to follow Meg in her future career.*

*On another point, I do think when you sign what is essentially a contract to receive a scholarship that you be required to play four years, barring injury or transfers, men or women. One and done is why I pay absolutely no attention to the men’s college game.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I think next years group will look like UConn a LOT sooner than this years.

I'm hoping for them to be getting it together after about a third of the season. Then having the rest of the season developing different combos and trust in each other.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Speaking of matchups, a poster on the men’s board asked a question that I’ll ask, who in the NBE will become UConn’s biggest rival.
Rivals are often teams who dislike each other, or whose fan bases dislike each other. I don't think that exists in the Big East at this time for UCONN.

I would guess that Depaul will be our main rival, mainly because they are the 2nd best team in the league for the foreseeable future. The Villanova hire could be interesting - The men's team is a perennial top 10 team. A good hire could help make Villanova relevant again. For the rest, time will tell.

I think in the American, USF was our biggest rival IMHO, but after watching UCF play overly aggressive and dirty against UCONN, and after Cinci did what they did to Jamelle, those 2 became my most disliked teams. Not sure I'd call them rivals tho.

Reaction Score
I love the chemistry of the 2021 team. I see a pass oriented, unselfish team. Don’t get me wrong. I see the Anna-Paige combo creating plays that will leave opposing bigs confused and out of breath. Liv will explode getting dishes from them. Christyn will average 20, Evina near that. The bench will be major contributors for a change.

Meg was a great individual player, deserving of awards, but I was unsure how well she meshed with this team. I think much of the reason she declared for the draft—an odd decision since the WNBA and foreign play was then in doubt, now almost a certainty—was because she realized that. I think Geno did what he could to make Meg feel at home but...it is what it is. It might take a couple of months for the 2021 team to jell but I for one can’t wait to watch them—and to follow Meg in her future career.*

*On another point, I do think when you sign what is essentially a contract to receive a scholarship that you be required to play four years, barring injury or transfers, men or women. One and done is why I pay absolutely no attention to the men’s college game.

You can require players to play four years on scholarship once you require schools to honor all four years of a player's scholarship. Not the way it works currently.

Reaction Score

I agree with your concern but the good news is that the existing ten are all really good athletes that have a proven work ethic..................when the bench players are on the floor you can be assured they won't be out gunned athletically or in the desire department.......

Reaction Score
I'm a firm believer in sr leadership. I think losing Meg Walker is a huge blow because not only sr leadership I but thought she was a legit potential number 1 player POY candidate . Losing possibly he best player in America is a blow. We've lost our 2 best players and we have no "college seniors.

With all that said-- I think Evina Westbrook has to have a big year. The bigger the year-- the greater the team. Every other player has a ceiling. I expect Paige to be dynamic but just like any frosh not named Stewie-- their will be a game in NCAA's I expect she'll struggle. The better Evina is-- the less it matters if Paige struggles in a big game.

Can Evina be a POY candidate?
Losing Meg will be a huge blow on the floor. Not sure she ever sought the leadership role. I don't think with what we have coming in and coming back that will be a problem. Paige and Mir appear to be "take charge" players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Losing Meg will be a huge blow on the floor. Not sure she ever sought the leadership role. I don't think with what we have coming in and coming back that will be a problem. Paige and Mir appear to be "take charge" players.

I agree with other posers that "suggested" there may have been chemistry issues at times during the season. Those issues became more noticeable during the games against Baylor, SC and Oregon. No one is saying or suggesting that Megan was the cause. She was the player that our opponents were most concerned about, as she was the team's leading scorer and posed the biggest threat.

There were times when it appeared that there was no flow to the offense. Some players tended to stand around and wait for others to make a play. Losing Megan will be HUGE!! She kept us in a lot of games at times when the temperature on the floor was cold. We fell back to the pack even further with her departure. :( Time will tell.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well we have alot of talent that needs to be developed. I expect Liv to be much improved and more dominate. CW will be at a new level. Anna is going to be special. Now bring on Westbrook Paige and Griff (with an outside shot) and we are going to be damm good. We have no senior leadership but we have a nucleaus next season. I expect a great season. Looking at the improvement at the end of the season and where we were and now next season with the summer to improve even more. It could be a special season. By the time March comes around we will be the team to beat and we loose nobody with another great class coming in .

Coming back with a good nucleaus is key for the next two seasons. We still need to develop cohesiveness and continunity. Westbrook Paige and the freshman class are going to be terrifc but they need time. You just dont pop them into a microwave and presto theyre AA's

We will be a terrific passing team next season and having Griff with an outside shot like she showed in high school, along with Westbrooks skills and Paige...well we're gonna be tuff to beat.

I also expect UConn to pick up a couple of more really good players. Dont be surprised to be surprised

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom