OT: - Unorthodox interview | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Unorthodox interview

Reaction Score
Just had a very strange interview. We’ll see what it means. Circumstances were unusual because it’s an internal position and I just unsuccessfully interviewed for a similar position a couple weeks ago. HR director told me “they loved me but hired someone with more experience. Apply to the next one.” So today I interviewed for the position of the guy who got the other job.

Obviously they know me well and I recently answered most of the questions but it was still strange for a school administrator position.
-“who inspires you?”
-“do you believe in Bigfoot? Why or why not?”
-“if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?”
- “what three words describe you?”
Only asked me a couple questions Pertinent to the position.
Does this bode well or bad? Definitely felt like a formality but I’m not sure if it was a formality because they have someone else.

Share funny interview encounters
The educational system clearly discriminates against those who think cryptozoology is real!

Reaction Score
2nd interview went quite well today, and they called 5 minutes later to schedule a meeting with the superintendent on Wednesday for salary negotiation. Very curious to see how that will go, not sure if they'll lowball me since I'm coming in from a different state - and how much of my experience they will count.
Awesome! Was asked this in my final round interview in NY. Luckily, I had taken a look at the teacher contract and salary schedule for the district prior to the interview. Knew what a 3rd year teacher with a master’s should be making. I’m sure you’ve done the same, but if not it’s a good place to start. Best of luck!

Reaction Score
I got the job, I had a number in mind and they actually exceeded it. I will now bubble wrap myself until the first day of school. So often do schools try to lowball you coming from one state to another, they actually started me on top step, I was astonished. This is the long overdue payoff, after being screwed soooooooooo many times. Feels great!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I got the job, I had a number in mind and they actually exceeded it. I will now bubble wrap myself until the first day of school.

congrats!!!

the Q

Reaction Score
So while not an odd interview question, my weirdest interview situation was in law school during OCIs, I had a few interviews the same day.

interviewing with Skadden.

guy was a college baseball player like myself. He liked my law review article about sports law.

we finish up, he says “this has been great you will definitely be hearing from us”

Two days later, first duck off letter I get is from skadden

Reaction Score
So while not an odd interview question, my weirdest interview situation was in law school during OCIs, I had a few interviews the same day.

guy was a college baseball player like myself. He liked my law review article about sports law.

we finish up, he says “this has been great you will definitely be hearing from us”

Well, he didn't lie to you. You did hear from them. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This great, don't get me wrong, it sucks, but it is also perfect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I got the job, I had a number in mind and they actually exceeded it. I will now bubble wrap myself until the first day of school. So often do schools try to lowball you coming from one state to another, they actually started me on top step, I was astonished. This is the long overdue payoff, after being screwed soooooooooo many times. Feels great!
Awesome! Congratulations!

the Q

Reaction Score
This great, don't get me wrong, it sucks, but it is also perfect.
As if OCIs weren’t bad enough…..

I noticed all my call backs were the interviews I wasn’t sure how they went.

the ones I thought went Great or poorly were all immediate rejections.

Reaction Score
As if OCIs weren’t bad enough…..

I noticed all my call backs were the interviews I wasn’t sure how they went.

the ones I thought went Great or poorly were all immediate rejections.

My on campus interview with Latham was at the Charles Hotel and the female litigation partner who interviewed me (who was not unattractive) was sprawled out on the bed the whole time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Going on two weeks now from the day he told me “we just need to talk to your references, HR will let you know either way by the end of the week”

SMDH

Reaction Score
What was your response to whether you believe in Bigfoot and why?

Reaction Score
Going on two weeks now from the day he told me “we just need to talk to your references, HR will let you know either way by the end of the week”

SMDH

That happened to me several times when interviewing years ago. Still, often got the job or at least an offer. Hiring isn’t always an efficient process.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've never gotten a job I've actually interviewed for. Interviewed for a bunch after college and struck out everywhere, so took a 2 week temp job where they just gave me an address to show up to. Now been there for over 4 years

Reaction Score
My on campus interview with Latham was at the Charles Hotel and the female litigation partner who interviewed me (who was not unattractive) was sprawled out on the bed the whole time.
did you get an offer?

Reaction Score
The weirdest interview I had was my first one out of college. It was at a large company in Boston. My girlfriend had an interview there and suggested that they interview me for another position they had mentioned to her. The HR lady was young and nerdy/hot, probably 30 or so years old. She came off as kind of cocky and brash.

She told me that my girlfriend was really nice, but far too hot for me. She said she was out of my league. I was like, “Wow, is this happening?” Weird and rude. I didn’t know if it was just the real world or if she was out of line at that point in my life. I was also onto her bs because she was clearly flirting.

My gf shows up for interview #2 a few days later and the HR lady tells her that she better keep an eye on me because I’m far to cute and charming to trust prowling around Boston. My gf is then mad at me when I see her.

Anyway, we go through the process and both get hired. At the company holiday party 3-4 months later the HR girl is pretty drunk and all over me. The party ends and the younger associates head to another bar. The HR lady comes along and my gf decides to tell her to back off. HR lady then starts crying and confides in us that she couldn’t make up her mind who she wanted more, she’s bi, she’s a mess etc. We consoled her, told her we weren’t interested and never said a word to anyone about it. Now days it would be a major story.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the beginning to one of those Penthouse letters. :)

It crossed my mind, for sure. She was very flirty. But I had a blast in law school, I had something going on with a faculty member at the time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The weirdest interview I had was my first one out of college. It was at a large company in Boston. My girlfriend had an interview there and suggested that they interview me for another position they had mentioned to her. The HR lady was young and nerdy/hot, probably 30 or so years old. She came off as kind of cocky and brash.

She told me that my girlfriend was really nice, but far too hot for me. She said she was out of my league. I was like, “Wow, is this happening?” Weird and rude. I didn’t know if it was just the real world or if she was out of line at that point in my life. I was also onto her bs because she was clearly flirting.

My gf shows up for interview #2 a few days later and the HR lady tells her that she better keep an eye on me because I’m far to cute and charming to trust prowling around Boston. My gf is then mad at me when I see her.

Anyway, we go through the process and both get hired. At the company holiday party 3-4 months later the HR girl is pretty drunk and all over me. The party ends and the younger associates head to another bar. The HR lady comes along and my gf decides to tell her to back off. HR lady then starts crying and confides in us that she couldn’t make up her mind who she wanted more, she’s bi, she’s a mess etc. We consoled her, told her we weren’t interested and never said a word to anyone about it. Now days it would be a major story.
One Night Stand Love GIF by GirlNightStand

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seems to be a good deal of educators in this thread. Anyone on the job hunt noticing roles that are essentially admin roles with admin responsibilities and require admin levels of cert and education but teacher pay? Titles like “facilitator” or “liaison” instead of traditional admin titles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom