OT: - Unorthodox interview | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Unorthodox interview

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If you interview someone and don't even send an email to let them know they're going in a different direction, you're a . I interviewed SO many times for my first teaching position and it is exhausting the waiting, waiting, waiting until it just sort of wears off.

If it's an INTERNAL hire, you absolutely need to give that person a call or meet in person. Administrators can be such cowards about delivering bad news. I'm sorry that happened.

At the very least it's a good lesson for what you won't do when you pull in this job on Monday ;)
I’ve had 14 interviews since mid May. Really hoping I’m done

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I got stuck in an elevator and had to jump out in a suit and tie and go into the interview room. Nailed interview, but was too expensive for them.
Haha That’s composure.

Reaction Score
I have interviewed many younger people for a beginner FX trading job.

The only weird question I would ask is, “How many times in a day does the hour hand (the little hand) on a clock pass 12 o’clock?”

Best answer I received was four?

Reaction Score
Long story short: did not get the job. The place where I have worked for 6 years didn’t even call me to tell me. I found out I didn’t get it when they announced who got the job on a zoom town hall. Pretty messed up. I’m a finalist for a better job and should hear on Monday.

Wow, Your own company "Ghosted" you??? Talk about unprofessional.

Reaction Score
I've had that happen a handful of times - not my own company or school - but an interview in which I wasn't a finalist, I never even received a call back letting me know. I think someone mentioned it a few posts ago, so beyond unprofessional and cowardly for administrators to just not even give a courtesy call.

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't realize that many positions even opened up. Good luck!
I’ve applied to about a dozen positions between CT and MA since the end of May, I expect that next week my phone will ring off the hook.. but it appears this school is probably going to offer me next week, hope it’s the right pick!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Wow, Your own company "Ghosted" you??? Talk about unprofessional.
It was for a school district administrator position. Summer makes it easy for them to hide

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve applied to about a dozen positions between CT and MA since the end of May, I expect that next week my phone will ring off the hook.. but it appears this school is probably going to offer me next week, hope it’s the right pick!
It’s not in Cromwell is it? LOL

Reaction Score

Fwiw in both schools I've worked in tje admin is on vacation every year from July 4th to the beginning of August. Idk if that's true everywhere, but if we weren't done with hiring before school ended, we won't do any more until the first week of August.

Reaction Score
It’s not in Cromwell is it? LOL

haha nah, my sights are set on MA only, there’s one school right over the border that has me intrigued, but I think this is the one… I applied at the HS right down the street, legit a 5 minute commute, 4 if I get a green light… but teaching where you live is a little weird…

I was up early so I took a drive to the school I interviewed at yesterday, 23 min drive ALL backroads, very curvy and bendy, but that beats 45 mins on the interstate

Reaction Score
I once drove two hours to interview for a teaching position. I considered it to be a really good 45 minute interview, although I considered the majority of the questions rather odd. There was almost no classroom or content specific questions asked. Finally, at the end of the interview the principal asked me why I wanted to be a vice principal? When I stated that I had absolutely no desire to ever be an administrator, they asked me why I had applied for the assistant principal position. I explained that I had not, that I was there for the math teacher position. They had mixed up the interviews and thought I was applying for an assistant principal position, even though I confirmed the interview that morning before driving there. The math one had already been filled. We all had a really nice laugh. And, then I drove back two hours.

About a week later I was hired at another school in the same district primarily based on the recommendation of the first principal. Turns out that the first time principal called the other principal for advice and the first one recognized my name and was primarily responsible for me getting the job.

I was kind of glad I hadn’t knocked everything off of her desk and storm out like I imagined doing the first time. (Joking)

Reaction Score
I have interviewed many younger people for a beginner FX trading job.

The only weird question I would ask is, “How many times in a day does the hour hand (the little hand) on a clock pass 12 o’clock?”

Best answer I received was four?
What are you getting at with that question? I'd say one or two, depending on the asker's definition of "pass." Do you ask the question just to see how the candidate works it out?

Reaction Score
What are you getting at with that question? I'd say one or two, depending on the asker's definition of "pass." Do you ask the question just to see how the candidate works it out?

To see if they get flustered. In trading, and life, remember your ABC's (Always Be Cool).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2nd interview went quite well today, and they called 5 minutes later to schedule a meeting with the superintendent on Wednesday for salary negotiation. Very curious to see how that will go, not sure if they'll lowball me since I'm coming in from a different state - and how much of my experience they will count.

Reaction Score
2nd interview went quite well today, and they called 5 minutes later to schedule a meeting with the superintendent on Wednesday for salary negotiation. Very curious to see how that will go, not sure if they'll lowball me since I'm coming in from a different state - and how much of my experience they will count.

Does MA not just go by step equivalency? That's what they did when I moved to CT from another state 7 years ago. Great job though!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That’s awesome bud!

Reaction Score
An interview is not about the interviewee but the interviewer. How does hiring you make their lives easier and more successful. Keep that in mind in your answers and you will do fine.
Smart

Reaction Score
HR by it's very nature is to mitigate risk and loss. So, no, it's not value additive, it's risk minimization. All those questions and processes they make you go through with hiring are designed to avoid lawsuits as well as prevent crappy hires which can kill an organization.
No different than the legal department. They don't generate any revenue for an organizations (Unless I guess you are a law firm). You have a legal department to watch your six while you are watching everything else.
HR's primary directive is to protect the company and its senior management. Everything else is secondary.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
HR’s prime directive is to self promote. They do that by sucking up to management. Everything else is secondary.

Most of hr could be outsourced.

In most cases it is a waste of salary and office space

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom