Unforeseen byproduct of cancelled game... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Unforeseen byproduct of cancelled game...

C

Chief00

No attack here Chief Panties just simply a different view. This is not to defend Biz Law as I have disagreed with some that he says and also liked a lot of it.
The younger generation of which by the language yourself and many here can be identified have to understand the word LIABILITY....
I hated this game not being played as much as ANY hard core fan of which I am one. But who pays the lawyers and the lawsuits if the storm went as predicted???

As it is the storm went down to a cat 2 and Tampa airport still did not open until this morning. All flights to FLA out of BDL were cancelled this morning still. One mishap and someone is going to be sued. It drives our world at this point....LIABILITY....

Old fahhat here, I remember when you watched the morning news, sports, and weather. They had advertisements for cars, booze and cigarettes. Now it is three different law firms, I have your back if yours is injured at work. I ride and understand if you are injured in an accident. My dad will fight for you get.....

People have to get real on why this game was cancelled and some fans should stop thinking SF avoided playing UConn worrying about a loss...With our situation one could be sure that was their last thought...

I don't think the thrust of what most posters said had anything to do with USF fearing they would lose to UConn - The storm was maybe 500 miles away when they would have left on Thursday -it was normal flying conditions. I guess the argument is the return trip and return to practice. A Tampa paper said they hadn't practiced since Friday - so they would have been better off up here and travel back tomorrow or Thursday. How liability factors into all this I will leave to the experts.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This point continues to be brought up. Do you know how expensive it would have been to house and feed an entire football program in CT for, let's say, 3 days? I understand the football reasons (understand, don't really agree) that are being given. Yes, there would definitely be distractions to deal with and preparation for the Illinois game would be difficult, but I don't think the dollars and cents are being considered enough.

Supporting a football team away from home for a few days and supporting a golf team for a few days are entirely different animals. And I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I doubt USF's athletic budget even comes close to ours, and we know our own $$$ situation all too well. Is it crazy to think they used "safety" as their cover up for "we can't pay for this ish"??

Rubbish. If USF's athletic budget is so strained they can't afford to have a team stay over a day or two, they've got no business being in any conference with northern teams. What would happen if they played a late season game at UConn, Temple or Cincinnati and they get snowed in for the weekend and can't leave? Their whole athletic budget would be decimated? That's total nonsense.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm actually hoping that USF wins every game by just enough so that a win over a 7 win UConn team would have been enough to put them in the playoff.
If you're willing to embrace the dark side of this argument (feasible IMHO, although evidence in support is all circumstantial), USF's calculus is that no victory margin over UConn would boost their profile more than not having UConn on the schedule. Realistically though, I imagine three-loss P5 teams will finish ahead of an undefeated USF in the playoff chase.

Reaction Score
Rubbish. If USF's athletic budget is so strained they can't afford to have a team stay over a day or two, they've got no business being in any conference with northern teams. What would happen if they played a late season game at UConn, Temple or Cincinnati and they get snowed in for the weekend and can't leave? Their whole athletic budget would be decimated? That's total nonsense.

At the point the decision was made, it was unclear if they would be able to return to Tampa in a day or two, or perhaps be prohibited from returning for a week or longer. At 6 pm on Thursday evening the storm had 175 mph winds and a distinct possibility of hitting Tampa as a powerful hurricane.

A better comparison would be if UCONN was scheduled to play USF late season, and the worst blizzard in the history of CT was forecast to hit and shut down everything for a week or more, with major damage expected to impact the region for months.

Reaction Score
Obviously you can argue USF was ducking the game.

But you can't win any argument- a priori - that the school was in the wrong prompting the game cancellation. It just isn't worth your time. Look at Harvey. Then Jacksonville. These things are far graver than a football Saturday.

Reaction Score
Obviously you can argue USF was ducking the game.

But you can't win any argument- a priori - that the school was in the wrong prompting the game cancellation. It just isn't worth your time. Look at Harvey. Then Jacksonville. These things are far graver than a football Saturday.

This is silly.

What's more offensive: using a hurricane as cover to make a competitive decision at the expense of a someone else (us) or calling them out on it?

Reaction Score
Who's being silly.

You just watched weeks of people clinging to life on boats. Massive wreckage. And you're gonna argue ... Football? Who's to say that 5-10 guys on that team wouldn't have family in that mode. Perspective?

So sit in your Connecticut tv room with your remote and bitch. A large segment of Florida has no power. With another storm possible.

Reaction Score
Who's being silly.

You just watched weeks of people clinging to life on boats. Massive wreckage. And you're gonna argue ... Football? Who's to say that 5-10 guys on that team wouldn't have family in that mode. Perspective?

So sit in your Connecticut tv room with your remote and bitch. A large segment of Florida has no power. With another storm possible.

Or what if by staying in Tampa some of the guys on the team were clinging to life on boats when they could have been safe in Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Or what if by staying in Tampa some of the guys on the team were clinging to life on boats when they could have been safe in Connecticut?

Apparently ... some of you can't grasp the impact of the last few weeks. That's enough.

Could we see ulterior motives in - say - Charlie Strong? Sure. In the scheme of things ... not worth the argument.

Reaction Score
Who's being silly.

You're only argument is hysteria and sensationalism. You are willfully ignoring facts. Something tells me you're still wondering who killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.

Reaction Score
Who's being silly.

So you're just going to ignore the Cincinnati Bearcats and the game they played vs. Michigan? To refresh your memory, the Bearcats had 10 players on their team from Florida. Those players sure did seem distracted. Am I right?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who's being silly.

By that logic half the games in the country should have been cancelled because of how many players are from Florida.

Do all the other USF teams they sent away recruit from somewhere else?

Reaction Score
What's done is done... move onto UVA.

If this was a game vs ECU I don't think we would be crying but we have history with USF which is what stings more than ECU, plus they're ranked so I would've loved beating them at the rent.

Nothing u can do. Onto UVA let's get a dub!

Reaction Score

If this was a game vs ECU I don't think we would be crying but we have history with USF which is what stings more than ECU, plus they're ranked so I would've loved beating them at the rent.

What are you going to do if I don't "move onto UVA", Coach Bellichick? Are you going to write a strongly worded letter to the editor?

Also, can we please put an end to the "On to (insert team here)" Bill Bellichick bull crap? It stopped being funny and/or witty 3 years ago.

Reaction Score

Be thankful there are enough of us with some common sense to make some noise about this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This argument gets so tiresome. Some quick thoughts
  • Irma was nasty, and shifted to target western FL.
  • Some USF teams traveled.
  • Football has a lot of players, and coaches and equipment. Many more people and things than all those other teams combined, probably X about 3. You can't ignore that logistical reality.
  • Those people also had local family they were concerned about. So do the tennis players, I know, but many more of them for football.
  • They prioritized being close to home and family during a crisis over playing the game. That is understandable.
The question for me is whether that decision should be "free". UConn was ready to play. The stadium was ready. The team was physically capable of traveling and playing. So while I understand the decision, I think it probably should be one that costs them a forfeit if the game can't be rescheduled. This isn't a situation where they are forced to put the team in an unsafe situation, say if the game had been scheduled in Tampa and UConn wouldn't play.

Reaction Score
Have we thrashed this one to death yet?
Nope more to come:
images

Reaction Score
This is silly.

What's more offensive: using a hurricane as cover to make a competitive decision at the expense of a someone else (us) or calling them out on it?

LMAO. Your logic is based on your assumption that what is nothing more than an assumption is fact.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This thread is awesome!

I've found myself agreeing with folks that I normally don't agree with. I've found myself disagreeing with folks that I normally agree with. I found myself agreeing with some members on only half of their posts because I couldn't understand the other half of what they said. I'm sure there's a Psychology professor at UConn right now that is eating this shtuff up right now.

By the way, I'm probably the only one that actually knows why USF cancelled the game...

I-am-not-saying.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom