Unforeseen byproduct of cancelled game... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Unforeseen byproduct of cancelled game...

Reaction Score
Wow. As a lawyer I would think you would analyze all of the information at hand and then come to a decision. I think the fact that other USF teams travelled and the Illinois game was on the horizon would at least make you consider the alternative to your all knowing position.
This point continues to be brought up. Do you know how expensive it would have been to house and feed an entire football program in CT for, let's say, 3 days? I understand the football reasons (understand, don't really agree) that are being given. Yes, there would definitely be distractions to deal with and preparation for the Illinois game would be difficult, but I don't think the dollars and cents are being considered enough.

Supporting a football team away from home for a few days and supporting a golf team for a few days are entirely different animals. And I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I doubt USF's athletic budget even comes close to ours, and we know our own $$$ situation all too well. Is it crazy to think they used "safety" as their cover up for "we can't pay for this ish"??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This point continues to be brought up. Do you know how expensive it would have been to house and feed an entire football program in CT for, let's say, 3 days? I understand the football reasons (understand, don't really agree) that are being given. Yes, there would definitely be distractions to deal with and preparation for the Illinois game would be difficult, but I don't think the dollars and cents are being considered enough.

Supporting a football team away from home for a few days and supporting a golf team for a few days are entirely different animals. And I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I doubt USF's athletic budget even comes close to ours, and we know our own $$$ situation all too well. Is it crazy to think they used "safety" as their cover up for "we can't pay for this ish"??

I look forward to USF declining bowl bids because they would potentially lose millions - if 30-50k is this big of an impediment they shouldn't be signing up for the Hawaii Bowl for sure.

Reaction Score
Criticizing them for lying about it isn't thinking one is superior. It's looking at what happened and dealing honestly with it.
Maybe you should try it sometime.

C

Chief00

I look forward to USF declining bowl bids because they would potentially lose millions - if 30-50k is this big of an impediment they shouldn't be signing up for the Hawaii Bowl for sure.
Aresco is at a tipping point -- is the AAC destine to be a Micky Mouse conference or not?

Reaction Score

I was thinking about this. Could Uconn have stepped up and offered to house USF and their families.
Not sure that is realistic or that it would have changed USF's position, but sometimes its the thought that counts.

I think USF has more to think about right now than a football game with Uconn. I do hope that once things start to come back to some level of normalcy, USF, Uconn and the AAC are able to work things out. Maybe in the next couple weeks.

Uconn is in a tough position because they are taking a financial hit, and they certainly don't want another PR hit by going after a team that just went through a monumental tragedy of delivered by mother nature. Would definitely come across insensitive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe you should try it sometime.

Zing!

Yeah I've got logic, evidence and reason on my side. You have the willingness to believe what people tell you - no matter how ridiculous.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this. Could Uconn have stepped up and offered to house USF and their families.
Not sure that is realistic or that it would have changed USF's position, but sometimes
its the thought that counts.

I think USF has more to think about right now than a football game with Uconn. I do hope that once things start to come back to some level of normalcy, USF, Uconn and the AAC are able to work things out. Maybe in the next couple weeks.

Uconn is in a tough position because they are taking a financial hit, and they certainly don't want another PR hit by going after a team that just went through a monumental tragedy of delivered by mother nature. Would definitely come across insensitive.

Yes it is going to be months for Tampa to get back on their feet.

Monumental tragedy? It was a storm where the wind gusts peaked at 66 mph at the airport.

This is trolling right?

Last edited:
C

Chief00

what does that even mean?
Quite frankly, football games are meant to be played - if at all possible. This game should have been played safely a thousand miles away from the storm.
You can't have schools playing victim and at the same time trying to get competitive advantage! That develops a lack of trust and the conference will collapse.

Reaction Score

You really believe USF's athletic department would foot that bill? There's no doubt the conference would've picked up that tab. They have insurance for these type of things.

They used a hurricane and the safety of their players, coaches, and their families as cover because they didn't want to be inconvenienced in a short week. It's amazing that some people are more offended by my opinion than they are by this.

Reaction Score
Not sure that is realistic or that it would have changed USF's position, but sometimes its the thought that counts.

You're right that USF has more to think about than a football game with UCONN. That would be the football game this Friday against Illinois.

What's that? You were talking about the hurricane they had every opportunity to avoid? Bwhahahahahahahaha!!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We already have the most storied rivalry on the East Coast with the other Florida school (I dare not speak its name).

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, football games are meant to be played - if at all possible. This game should have been played safely a thousand miles away from the storm.
You can't have schools playing victim and at the same time trying to get competitive advantage! That develops a lack of trust and the conference will collapse.

No attack here Chief Panties just simply a different view. This is not to defend Biz Law as I have disagreed with some that he says and also liked a lot of it.
The younger generation of which by the language yourself and many here can be identified have to understand the word LIABILITY....
I hated this game not being played as much as ANY hard core fan of which I am one. But who pays the lawyers and the lawsuits if the storm went as predicted???

As it is the storm went down to a cat 2 and Tampa airport still did not open until this morning. All flights to FLA out of BDL were cancelled this morning still. One mishap and someone is going to be sued. It drives our world at this point....LIABILITY....

Old fahhat here, I remember when you watched the morning news, sports, and weather. They had advertisements for cars, booze and cigarettes. Now it is three different law firms, I have your back if yours is injured at work. I ride and understand if you are injured in an accident. My dad will fight for you get.....

People have to get real on why this game was cancelled and some fans should stop thinking SF avoided playing UConn worrying about a loss...With our situation one could be sure that was their last thought...

Reaction Score
No attack here Chief Panties just simply a different view. This is not to defend Biz Law as I have disagreed with some that he says and also liked a lot of it.
The younger generation of which by the language yourself and many here can be identified have to understand the word LIABILITY....
I hated this game not being played as much as ANY hard core fan of which I am one. But who pays the lawyers and the lawsuits if the storm went as predicted???

As it is the storm went down to a cat 2 and Tampa airport still did not open until this morning. All flights to FLA out of BDL were cancelled this morning still. One mishap and someone is going to be sued. It drives our world at this point....LIABILITY....

Old fahhat here, I remember when you watched the morning news, sports, and weather. They had advertisements for cars, booze and cigarettes. Now it is three different law firms, I have your back if yours is injured at work. I ride and understand if you are injured in an accident. My dad will fight for you get.....

People have to get real on why this game was cancelled and some fans should stop thinking SF avoided playing UConn worrying about a loss...With our situation one could be sure that was their last thought...

What?????

Reaction Score
This thread indicates to me that the posters are going stir crazy with no football this past weekend. Never seen such an idiotic thread. Chill, folks, we are on the verge of a major victory over an ACC opponent. Get ready for the sea change.

Reaction Score
Yes it is going to be months for Tampa to get back on their feet.

Monumental tragedy? It was a storm where the wind gusts peaked at 66 mph at the airport.

This is trolling right?
Did you pay attention to the forecast for friday. It had a category 3 headed right for them.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry is Tampa digging out of the forecast or the actual storm that hit?
If they had known there would only be 66 moh winds and no damage dont you think they would have went?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If they had known there would only be 66 moh winds and no damage dont you think they would have went?

Read the post I replied to. It wasn't about what happened before the storm.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

So it was about money and football. Everyone on their side harps on safety and family which are two untouchable things but it's BS.

Reaction Score

This was done over the weekend by FAU without all the excuses we've heard on this board. They managed to work it out so families that wanted to go with the team were for the most part able to do that, and players that felt they needed to stay home were allowed to make that decision as well. USF took a different approach and we should be able to appreciate that there were many moving parts but their actions in totality seem to indicate clearly that this week's home game was given priority over an away game against UConn. That's just what their actions point to if you care to look.

Florida Atlantic University Owls take flight to Madison ahead of Hurricane Irma

Reaction Score
So it was about money and football. Everyone on their side harps on safety and family which are two untouchable things but it's BS.
Fair enough. I agree that the "safety" reasoning is bogus, but I don't think they were afraid to play against UConn and Illinois like others are suggesting.

It's in AD Dave's hands now and I'll trust him to work it out with the conference. I'm on to Virginia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom