OT: - Under-the-radar comedy series | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Under-the-radar comedy series

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Group text among my friends yesterday about this very topic mentioned these three--and only these three--songs. One friend mentioned Sanford & Son and Rockford Files as the two best; I responded "Barney Miller says hello."

I saw a band in college perform like a 10-minute-long version of the Barney Miller theme song, and I'm pretty sure I was the only kid there who knew what the he11 they were playing.

As a kid, I loved the CHIPS theme too. And obviously Knight Rider.

Reaction Score
I And obviously Knight Rider.

Fantastic theme song but I was up late a few months ago and caught a rerun on some random channel that appears to broadcast a lot of old shows. Does not hold up in the slightest.

Reaction Score
Monk-pretty much any show not on the big 3 so this qualifies.
Theme song-The Andy Griffith Show.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Arrested Development, but watch it drunk.
Second this. Not sure of the drunk part, I like it sober too, but that might just be my low basketball IQ.

(Edit: it automatically corrected to “basketball”… guess the machines have been reading my posts on here and are smarter than me too)

Reaction Score
Sorry if Angry Boys and the other mini series spin-offs haven’t been mentioned but those are worth a watch

edit reading some of the thread now and I’m seeing modern family and schitts creek lol maybe I’m going beyond under the radar

Reaction Score
Always Sunny in Philadelphia - now entering its 15th season.
Theme song - The Flinstones

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Wayne - darkly humored drama. Pretty violent (Amazon Prime)

The Boys - also darkly humored drama. Very violent (Amazon Prime)

Mythic Quest - Basically a watered down version of Silicon Valley but at a video game company. (Apple TV)

What we do in the shadows - not nearly as good as the movie (one of Taika Waititi’s earlier ones), but definitely worth checking out (FX)

Jean-Claude Van Johnson - if you grew up in the Jean-Claude van Damme era, this is a comedic twist on his iconic type-cast roles. (Amazon Prime)

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Monk-pretty much any show not on the big 3 so this qualifies.
Theme song-The Andy Griffith Show.

Random funny story -- one time, my aunt/uncle and cousins were playing the board game Cranium and one of my cousins got Star Wars as his clue that he had to give. It was a musical clue, which meant that he had to hum or whistle the theme, and his team had to guess correctly the clue. He had a complete brain fart and started whistling the Andy Griffith theme, so his team immediately guessed "Andy Griffith." He said no, then kept whistling it. They kept saying "You're whistling Andy Griffith" and he kept getting angrier and angrier while continuing to whistle that happy-go-lucky theme song. Afterwards when he said it was Star Wars, everyone absolutely roasted him (rightfully so).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Most mentioned already, but a few others:

TV: Reno 911, Upright Citizens Brigade, Kids in the Hall

Movies: Bottle Rocket, Clerks, Wet Hot American Summer
If you’re going to name those three you have to mention The State

Reaction Score
Reno 911, Eastbound and Down, The Office, Arrested Development, Vice Principals, Workaholics, Baskets, Barry, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Curb your enthusiasm is the best show of all time along with threes company in my opinion

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I don't know how I missed it all these years but It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is fracking funny!
Right up ny alley for ridiculous humor and crude behavior. Wife and I are in Season 4 now on our binge. Hly cow that show is something special.

Reaction Score
“Derry Girls” on Netflix is about five teenagers in Northern Ireland near the end of The Troubles in the mid-90s. It takes a few minutes to get used to the accents, but it’s hilarious. One of the minor characters is a somewhat sarcastic nun who runs their school. She’s not on screen very often, but she steals every scene she’s in.

Reaction Score
A lot of the recommendations here aren’t under the radar but there’s a lot of good mentions

Surprised no one has mentioned Wilfred

Reaction Score
A lot of my favorites were mentioned already. I especially love Shameless. Fleabag is great too.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Catastrophe. It's on Prime Video. It has been a while since I finished it, so I can't remember all of the character names, but the Scottish friend is so funny.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Don’t trust the B... in apartment 23 was unexpectedly good.

Reaction Score
One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Catastrophe. It's on Prime Video. It has been a while since I finished it, so I can't remember all of the character names, but the Scottish friend is so funny.

My wife's binging that now, it seems funny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom