OT: - Under-the-radar comedy series | The Boneyard

OT: Under-the-radar comedy series

Reaction Score
Someone in another thread brought up a TV series of which I had never heard called "Party Down," and said that it was very good. That reminded me of one of my favorite series of all time, "Blue Mountain State." (Shout out to @GoatHouse (unless your handle isn't a BMS reference)!) I never hear anyone talk about it, so I assume it wasn't very popular.

This makes me wonder what else I am missing. Let's hear your favorite cult classic comedy series and movies, along with a pitch so we can decide if we need to see them or not.

Edit: I guess I better set an example by including a pitch for "Blue Mountain State." The show takes place at a college and revolves around the football team. The protagonist is the backup quarterback (best job in sports) who does his best to not win the starting job throughout the series. Fan favorite and star linebacker Thad is the villain and one of the most enjoyable characters. The show is basically a lot of drinking, sex, drugs and shenanigans. Its sophomoricness is only exceeded by its hilarity. It even somehow comes off as poignant at times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was not all that popular when it aired, but when it got picked up by Netflix it took off.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Someone in another thread brought up a TV series of which I had never heard called "Party Down," and said that it was very good. That reminded me of one of my favorite series of all time, "Blue Mountain State." (Shout out to @GoatHouse (unless your handle isn't a BMS reference)!) I never hear anyone talk about it, so I assume it wasn't very popular.

This makes me wonder what else I am missing. Let's hear your favorite cult classic comedy series and movies, along with a pitch so we can decide if we need to see them or not.

Edit: I guess I better set an example by including a pitch for "Blue Mountain State." The show takes place at a college and revolves around the football team. The protagonist is the backup quarterback (best job in sports) who does his best to not win the starting job throughout the series. Fan favorite and star linebacker Thad is the villain and one of the most enjoyable characters. The show is basically a lot of drinking, sex, drugs and shenanigans. Its sophomoricness is only exceeded by its hilarity. It even somehow comes off as poignant at times.

Hilarious show.

Although I always want to hit Sammy with a steel chair

Reaction Score
Reno 911, Eastbound and Down, The Office, Arrested Development, Vice Principals, Workaholics, Baskets, Barry, Curb Your Enthusiasm

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also acceptable as an answer to the question “what is the best TV theme song of all time?” Right up there with the Sanford & Son theme by Quincy Jones.

Hill Street Blues
The rest of every other show

As a kid I had a 10pm bed time on school nights. Pops allowed me to stay up to watch roll call and the theme to Hill Street Blues and then it was off to sleep.

Reaction Score
I recently start watching Community. My youngest was watching an episode that was an animated spoof of the 80's GI Joe cartoon, it was hysterical.

The show is probably 10 years old or older, but it's amazing to see what was very funny then, might be considered inappropriate by todays standards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
AP Bio. Hilarious but was severely underrated on release. It’s been a lot better received since rerelease on Peacock

yeah. watched a few episodes while flying. Good stuff.

Reaction Score
Letterkenny (on Hulu)

Canadian comedy about life in a small rural town in Ontario province. Main group is the hicks, and chronicals their interactions with the skids (goofy local meth/drug users), the hockey players, and other groups.

Often very crude (but hilarious humor), but very smartly written scripts by main actor & director (Jared Keeso, Jacob T) somehow keeps it from being too non-PC.

Lots of Canadian & Hockey lingo…don’t be afraid to pause & Have this dictionary open during first few episodes. It’ll help!

The 1st episode cold open:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ones I've enjoyed during Covid:
Loudermilk
The Kaminsky Method
Alpha House

Reaction Score
Under the Radar....The League, Californication, Rules of Engagement, Psych, Hello Ladies. Not really under the radar anymore but at one time it was...Schitt's Creek.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom