OT: - Under-the-radar comedy series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Under-the-radar comedy series

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Blue Mountain State is hilarious. I’ve cycled few it a couple times as my “can’t fall asleep” show

If you like sketch comedy have to check out I Think You Should Leave and Kroll Show.

I second Pen15 as well.
American Vandal- mocumentary in the vein of Making a Murderer…about penis drawings and poop pranks

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Modern Family and The Office are two shows that are constantly re-running on various channels and I find myself watching pretty much all the time.

Cheers is my all-time favorite show with added bonus that Rebecca attended “the University of…Connecticut”. The Fighting Insurance Salesmen! (Show reference)

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Not sure how under the radar it is, but Californication is brilliant. It’s hard for me to identify my favorite show out of Californication, Married with Children, or the West Wing but Californication’s first 6 seasons are absolutely perfect.

Community could be exhausting but when it was good, it was really good. Brockmire fell off a cliff after season 2, but the first two seasons are hysterical.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Under the Radar....The League, Californication, Rules of Engagement, Psych, Hello Ladies. Not really under the radar anymore but at one time it was...Schitt's Creek.

psych took a while for me to get into, but once I did it was great.

The rare show where season 1 might be the weakest

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Modern Family and The Office are two shows that are constantly re-running on various channels and I find myself watching pretty much all the time.

Cheers is my all-time favorite show with added bonus that Rebecca attended “the University of…Connecticut”. The Fighting Insurance Salesmen! (Show reference)
Names the three most popular comedies of all time

Reaction Score
Not sure how under the radar it is, but Californication is brilliant. It’s hard for me to identify my favorite show out of Californication, Married with Children, or the West Wing but Californication’s first 6 seasons are absolutely perfect.

Community could be exhausting but when it was good, it was really good. Brockmire fell off a cliff after season 2, but the first two seasons are hysterical.
Charlie Runkle is one of the funniest characters of all time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Brooklyn 99 is hilarious - so sad this is the last season.

Really like the first 3 seasons.

It's gotten stale for me since then.

Doug Judy Pontiac Bandit episodes were great.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I loved a Scottish comedy called Still Game (Netflix). They can occasionally be difficult to understand, but once you figure things out it's very funny.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also acceptable as an answer to the question “what is the best TV theme song of all time?” Right up there with the Sanford & Son theme by Quincy Jones.

Rockford Files theme?

Group text among my friends yesterday about this very topic mentioned these three--and only these three--songs. One friend mentioned Sanford & Son and Rockford Files as the two best; I responded "Barney Miller says hello."

Reaction Score
Corner Gas is the Canadian answer to Seinfeld. It is a show about nothing, really funny and great writing.

Reaction Score
As soon as I read the title of this thread I thought:
party down,
silicon valley, and
Letterkenny… (watching now….fantastic dialogue)
Others that are probably a little more popular are:
the league and
archer, ….

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I never watched The Office when it was on as a series. Started watching episodes last year on Comedy Central when there wasn't a lot to do.

So when I saw Ed Helms my thought was he part of the wolfpack from The Hangover.
Craig Robinson is the Pontiac Bandit from Brooklyn 99
John Krasinski is Jack Ryan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Group text among my friends yesterday about this very topic mentioned these three--and only these three--songs. One friend mentioned Sanford & Son and Rockford Files as the two best; I responded "Barney Miller says hello."
Maybe Suicide is Painless from MASH should be in the discussion, but I'd rank it 4th.

Reaction Score
It’s not under the radar but Ted Lasso is absolutely hilarious, probably my favorite show going right now. This season isn’t as funny but I like Dave a lot as well.

A few Under the radar: Crashing, Insecure, Barry, seasons 1/2 of Master of None, Nathan for you.

Here are some others I just like as shows that maybe not everyone has seen: Atlanta, Ramy (ATL and Ramy aren’t that funny but good shows to watch), Eastbound and Down, Freaks and Geeks, Bernie Mac Show, Reno 911, Robot Chicken, I could go on and on.

CL82

Reaction Score
That may deserve it's own thread. "Who is the best Jack Ryan?" Harrison Ford is the obvious choice, but I might be persuaded in favor of Alec Baldwin, he nails it in Hunt for Red October.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I never watched The Office when it was on as a series. Started watching episodes last year on Comedy Central when there wasn't a lot to do.

So when I saw Ed Helms my thought was he part of the wolfpack from The Hangover.
Craig Robinson is the Pontiac Bandit from Brooklyn 99
Yeah it took some convincing for me to start watching Modern Family but once I started, I didn’t stop. The wife will always be Happy Gilmore’s love interest in my mind…

But as @Dream Jobbed 2.0 pointed out, these are hardly under the radar. So I’ll see myself out…

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe Suicide is Painless from MASH should be in the discussion, but I'd rank it 4th.
Well it definitely gets points from me because it and "Smoke on the Water" are the only songs I can play on piano, but the name is kind of a bummer, and it always makes me melancholy when I hear it. Although I loved that series, too, it was pretty heavy when I was a kid. You never just got the laughs without experiencing some gravitas along the way.

I would throw the "Baretta" theme in the mix, along with the theme from "Welcome Back Kotter."

Reaction Score
It’s not under the radar but Ted Lasso is absolutely hilarious, probably my favorite show going right now. This season isn’t as funny but I like Dave a lot as well.

A few Under the radar: Crashing, Insecure, Barry, seasons 1/2 of Master of None, Nathan for you.

Here are some others I just like as shows that maybe not everyone has seen: Atlanta, Ramy (ATL and Ramy aren’t that funny but good shows to watch), Eastbound and Down, Freaks and Geeks, Bernie Mac Show, Reno 911, Robot Chicken, I could go on and on.
Came here to mention Crashing, that's my go-to recommendation for under the radar shows. Shame it got canceled, but the three seasons definitely have enough of an arc to them to make it feel like you're watching almost a full series.

CL82

Reaction Score

Love Ted Lasso. Dave keeps popping up on my radar, but I haven't looked at it yet. I'll give it a shot when I work through my current binge Burn Notice.

I'm on season 4. At first, it was great, but now the formula of 3 minutes of season narrative, 39 minutes of episode narrative, 3 minutes of season narrative + cliff hanger is getting old. It didn't feel as contrived watching weekly.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom