Undefeated Season | The Boneyard

Undefeated Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I beginning to think its possible Right now KML is our go to player and she is much more then a Machine Gun shooter. She can do alot more then shoot. We have Bria and KML who will take charge when we need a big shot. Most teams dont have 2 players with those qualities. We have Stef at 6'5 in the middle who will draw alot of attention. Defenses will have to figure out who to double team Stef? KML? Bria? You cant double all three. Poise will be the difference maker. Againest Stanford I thought we played a little to quickly and rushed our shots...a lack of poise. We will learn from that.

TAM will be tuff and a good test but I like our chances. ND twice and most likely a 3rd time in the BE tourney will be tuff but we have the height and go to players and ND dosnt. So that leaves Baylor. Bottom line we are more disiplined. Could we lose yes, but I dont think so even in Waco. I do think we will come in to the game at a level we were at againest Stanford. This is a very very good UConn team with alot of intangibles that other teams dont pocess. If we dont play well we could lose, but we are UConn and UConn is at a different level then most other teams. We shot poorly againest Stanford and won by double digets. How many teams could do that againest a Stanford team?

Something to think about. If we dont lose this season...when will be the next time we lose?????????? assuming we stay healthly and no major transfers.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I can't look so far ahead. but it seems to me that if the coaches do their jobs, and everyone executes as the coaches expect them to do, that it is possible to go undefeated.

Pretty tall task (ugh) with Baylor and a well stocked ND and TAM team... But NOT impossible...

Reaction Score
Tony C, I was thinking the same thing......The big ddifferce between UCONN, ND, Tennm Stanford is......We have Doty and they do not......She is carry this team mentally and make them tougher and add a much needed SWAGGER

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Well I beginning to think its possible Right now KML is our go to player and she is much more then a Machine Gun shooter. She can do alot more then shoot. We have Bria and KML who will take charge when we need a big shot. Most teams dont have 2 players with those qualities. We have Stef at 6'5 in the middle who will draw alot of attention. Defenses will have to figure out who to double team Stef? KML? Bria? You cant double all three. Poise will be the difference maker. Againest Stanford I thought we played a little to quickly and rushed our shots...a lack of poise. We will learn from that.

TAM will be tuff and a good test but I like our chances. ND twice and most likely a 3rd time in the BE tourney will be tuff but we have the height and go to players and ND dosnt. So that leaves Baylor. Bottom line we are more disiplined. Could we lose yes, but I dont think so even in Waco. I do think we will come in to the game at a level we were at againest Stanford. This is a very very good UConn team with alot of intangibles that other teams dont pocess. If we dont play well we could lose, but we are UConn and UConn is at a different level then most other teams. We shot poorly againest Stanford and won by double digets. How many teams could do that againest a Stanford team?

Something to think about. If we dont lose this season...when will be the next time we lose?????????? assuming we stay healthly and no major transfers.

Tony, I am shocked and disappointed by your pessimism.

I'm expecting a minimum of 200 consecutive wins (5 seasons) plus another 5 wins in the 6th season. We'll have a few close games this year -- then 20+ point wins for the rest of the streak.

That's as far into the future as my crystal ball can see.

So, you gotta get with the program, Tony.

200 or bust.

Love from OC

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Don't forget, Tony, they all have to stay healthly...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think that if we can avoid losing any games, we have a good shot at going undefeated. The trick is just to go on scoring more points than our opponents do. And don't forget the wise words of the Yogi; "The best offense is a good defense, and vice versa".

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sniffing the snow at Jay from a long way-away olde coach, but I hope you guys aren't serious about long unbeaten streaks. Maybe I haven't been along long enough but I just don't see it. An entertaining team with the possibility of going far, even winning the national championship, but undefeated: unlikely

Reaction Score
For cryin out loud, folks, please remember the mojo. If UConn beats Baylor, and while doable, as Tony says, is a HUGE if, then maybe think about it. But even then I would not actively talk about it. UConn still has to get through Notre Dame not once, not twice but probably three times. And the way the tournament tends to schedule teams, could be four times. We all know how that played out last year. They have to get by a Texas A&M team that, as Tony says, is a legit contender. They have to sidestep other Big East teams looking for an ambush -- do you really believe GTown is as bad as they've looked so far?

One flippin game at a time, please. And speaking of, does anyone know anything about Fairleigh Dickinson, other than that they are not very good?

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Sniffing the snow at Jay from a long way-away olde coach, but I hope you guys aren't serious about long unbeaten streaks. Maybe I haven't been along long enough but I just don't see it. An entertaining team with the possibility of going far, even winning the national championship, but undefeated: unlikely

I'm not serious -- just having some fun with Tony.

I have neither been sniffing snow nor eating snow -- (except when it is covered with Maple Syrup.)

Gotta love Vermont.

That said, I am coming to CT for all three games this weekend. Can't wait to see the newbies "up close and personal."

OC

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
For cryin out loud, folks, please remember the mojo. If UConn beats Baylor, and while doable, as Tony says, is a HUGE if, then maybe think about it. But even then I would not actively talk about it. UConn still has to get through Notre Dame not once, not twice but probably three times. And the way the tournament tends to schedule teams, could be four times. We all know how that played out last year. They have to get by a Texas A&M team that, as Tony says, is a legit contender. They have to sidestep other Big East teams looking for an ambush -- do you really believe GTown is as bad as they've looked so far?

One flippin game at a time, please. And speaking of, does anyone know anything about Fairleigh Dickinson, other than that they are not very good?

Yes, they are in Teaneck, BergenCounty, NJ, and will leave the state for the tourney via Rte 4 to the GW. Offhand, I don't know if they will choose the George way or the Martha.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well I beginning to think its possible Right now KML is our go to player and she is much more then a Machine Gun shooter. She can do alot more then shoot. We have Bria and KML who will take charge when we need a big shot. Most teams dont have 2 players with those qualities. We have Stef at 6'5 in the middle who will draw alot of attention. Defenses will have to figure out who to double team Stef? KML? Bria? You cant double all three..
Kiah Stokes will have to develop into a serious power forward as Geno hopes. Without another serious big I don't think it happens. Since A&M and Baylor are 12/6 and 12/18 respectively, I don't think there is time for her to achieve her near term potential. If I am going wish for something, then it is the national championship. By then the whole should be peaking. Stokes and Banks will have had time to improve into meaningful contributors. Stokes was helpful in the Stanford game but she has more to provide.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think running the table is possible, but unlikely. I predicted 1-4 losses. After the Stanford game, I'm sticking with that. I am trying not to overreact--Nneka was in foul trouble, the Cardinal struggle to some degree when coming East, and Stanford, like UConn, is flawed.

On the positive side, we overcame 35% shooting with effort and defense, and Kaleena is more than ready for prime time--both against a top 5 team with a great coach.

I think the regular season games at Baylor and at ND are the toughies. So are the BE and NCAA tourneys. Let's take it one game and one possession at a time.

Reaction Score
Tony C, I was thinking the same thing......The big ddifferce between UCONN, ND, Tennm Stanford is......We have Doty and they do not......She is carry this team mentally and make them tougher and add a much needed SWAGGER

Actually, we have BH and KML, and they don't. IMO, and not meaning to be negative, CD, the younger's contribution at this point in the season is still in the potential category.

In the Stanford game, as I recall, and the Box Score supports this argument, it was Bria and KML who did most of the heavy lifting. With Tiff providing a huge supporting contribution.

I certainly hope that CD is able to get it all together before we play Baylor, TAM, and ND. We will need CD and BB, Kiah, and Kelly to be factors that opposing coaches have to prepare for.

(IMO, those games will be difficult for Stef in that the posts for those teams are all athletic and quick. The 2nd half of the Stanford game NO outplayed Stef in both the high and low post.)

But, can you imagine being an opposing coach who has to come up with a game plan to cover KML, Bria, Stef and CD/or KF who are hitting their shots and playing tough defense?

Wow! What a team. And TonyC could be right, afterall!

Peace,

John Fryer

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In the interest of full disclosure, Tony posted this optimistic prognostication just after he visited me at my home. So I guess I am partly to blame (or deserving of credit) for putting him up to it.

For now, I will say that I like our chances in three weekend games. Good opportunity for Kiah and Brianna to break out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the interest of full disclosure, Tony posted this optimistic prognostication just after he visited me at my home. So I guess I am partly to blame (or deserving of credit) for putting him up to it.

For now, I will say that I like our chances in three weekend games. Good opportunity for Kiah and Brianna to break out.
Kib, what did you give him to drink? More of that National Flag Blue Kool-Aid?

Reaction Score

2054?

Reaction Score
I would like to see if our defense can carry over against a tough team on a road game. I think our freshman will give us depth with little to no drop off by mid-season but only time will tell. I could take a loss as long as we played well unlike the Stanford loss last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom