UNC Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UNC Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I think the thing that impressed me the most was how engaged Castle was on the bench, he was up and cheering and really excited as a spectator. He seemed genuinely thrilled despite the fact he saw limited time on the court.

I will say sometimes these early season injuries have a way of helping a team take shape, we needed another piece and Castle injury allowed Ball to gain the confidence he needed to have a game like last night. Ball is pure energy, modern version of The Microwave.

Reaction Score
Agree with almost all of the comments. I would give a shout out to Diarra for his defense as when he came into the game, his defense slowed down UNC’s offense.

I do think UNC and Davis benefited from this game as they have really good players, but it highlighted that they need to be tougher to win against really good teams.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I get the paying attention to it, but what he's running is essentially NBA offense. Modern NBA offense a few teams in the NBA wish they could run (stars like ISO). No ISO, tremendous passing, huge assist/FG ratio, open man shoots. Our shot chart is astonishing. So I don't know where he got that, but I suspect it came from Luke, which means Luke is going to be gone. Maybe to the NBA eventually.
Yeah, assuredly from the staff. Surprised he was able to keep them this year.

Reaction Score
Fun team to watch. Tough and talented. They also seem to be a tight team on and off the floor who love to play together. I love the fire in Spencer. He is so competitive that he wouldn't talk to his teammates after losing the team competition at First Night this year. I was confidant he would have a good game against Carolina after missing the last shot against Kansas.

Reaction Score
2:1 is a bit of a stretch. Carolina blue sticks out a bit more but we had numbers too. And I was stuck in a Carolina section.
The announcers said that 57% of the tickets went to Huskies supporters. Some tix went to FAU and Illinois fans.

So UNC did NOT have more fans than UConn. On TV that was obvious.

Reaction Score
There is no way UNC fans were 50/50 with UConn. It didn’t sound or look that way at all.
The announcers talk all night about how it's a UConn crowd, the coach and players talk about how it's Storrs South, I hear it's 70% UConn from a non UConn fan, it absolutely sounds and looks like a UConn crowd on TV and I come in here and we're outnumbered again, 2 to 1 according to someone. Strange.

I swear people get deceived by color. Looking at the people cheering for UConn and screaming their heads off and they're wearing every different color. The Carolina fans are all in their baby blues. The only time UConn is ever in one color is if they do a white out at Gampel and give every fan a white shirt.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I love Billy Hoyle, I mean Cam Spencer. You would never know it by looking at him but he's the toughest guy on this team.
Woody Harrelson Basketball GIF

Reaction Score
11 assists from Cam and Newton. One turnover. That is incredible considering the pace.

I read last night that the starters, collectively, scored 70-something points against 3 total turnovers. If AK and Cam were knocking stuff down they normally do this would have been a 20+ margin.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it’s been said yet, but started another non-conference win streak of 10+. Against a top 10 team also. Saturday should be #2 and on to Seattle.
They still have a streak of double digit wins against OOC opponents! Just not consecutive winning streak.

Reaction Score
It blows my mind. He never ran anything like this at URI. Once he finally had a roster that was his last year, we ran the closest thing to NBA offense I've seen from a college team. This team's offense is slightly behind, but Clingan just isn't Sanogo and we've been missing Castle.

But that's why I cautioned patience with the freshmen. What we run is hard to pick up and master, on both ends of the ball.
I think the offense is better this year. Last year we were a well oiled machine at the end of the year but it wasn't like that for a significant portion of the season. Teams would pack the paint and dare Andre to shoot. At one point both Sanogo and Andre were struggling and the offense was pretty stagnant. We don't have the automatic bucket down low that Sanogo became but we move the ball even better this year, it's the best passing team we've ever had and we protect the ball even better this year. We haven't even seen us nearly at our best. Injuries are slowing us down. If we get healthy it's going to be really scary for everyone else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The announcers talk all night about how it's a UConn crowd, the coach and players talk about how it's Storrs South, I hear it's 70% UConn from a non UConn fan, it absolutely sounds and looks like a UConn crowd on TV and I come in here and we're outnumbered again, 2 to 1 according to someone. Strange.

I swear people get deceived by color. Looking at the people cheering for UConn and screaming their heads off and they're wearing every different color. The Carolina fans are all in their baby blues. The only time UConn is ever in one color is if they do a white out at Gampel and give every fan a white shirt.
We are simply the worst fanbase about wearing our colors in the whole country. Grey, black, white, navy, red. If somebody wasn't in powder blue, they were likely a UConn fan.

Side note: you may be right on the offense, especially how limited Andre was until late in the season. Tristen is even better than he was. Cam passes better than Hawkins, which is valuable. Castle is an upgrade on Andre offensively. Clingan won't give us what Adama did offensively, but his rebounding creates a lot of offense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
havent seen anything but any news on Samson injury?
Bacot banged his knee. Stinger for a minute or so. Nothing to worry about.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We are simply the worst fanbase about wearing our colors in the whole country. Grey, black, white, navy, red. If somebody wasn't in powder blue, they were likely a UConn fan.

Side note: you may be right on the offense, especially how limited Andre was until late in the season. Tristen is even better than he was. Cam passes better than Hawkins, which is valuable. Castle is an upgrade on Andre offensively. Clingan won't give us what Adama did offensively, but his rebounding creates a lot of offense.

Those... Are our colors?

Navy doesn't pop in an arena with stadium lightning.

Who gives an damn if one guy is wearing a great hoodie with 90s Jonathan and the other is a navy hoody with the wolf husky?

Reaction Score
It blows my mind. He never ran anything like this at URI. Once he finally had a roster that was his last year, we ran the closest thing to NBA offense I've seen from a college team. This team's offense is slightly behind, but Clingan just isn't Sanogo and we've been missing Castle.

But that's why I cautioned patience with the freshmen. What we run is hard to pick up and master, on both ends of the ball.

Beyond that, college hoops is "older" this year with the last of the free covid year kids cycling through. Any freshman who is not a superstar is at a disadvantage.

Reaction Score
I get the paying attention to it, but what he's running is essentially NBA offense. Modern NBA offense a few teams in the NBA wish they could run (stars like ISO). No ISO, tremendous passing, huge assist/FG ratio, open man shoots. Our shot chart is astonishing. So I don't know where he got that, but I suspect it came from Luke, which means Luke is going to be gone. Maybe to the NBA eventually.
Met Luke, he doesn’t feel like a collegiate head coach, could definitely see NBA like you said

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Those... Are our colors?

Who gives an damn if one guy is wearing a great hoodie with 90s Jonathan and the other is a navy hoody with the wolf husky?
Against UNC it's a sea of powder blue. Tennessee is a sea of orange. Many schools do a better job of coordinating this. Just saying our crowd looks smaller because we've got guys showing up in rust colored sweaters to UConn games. It's a northeast thing. Patriots and Giants football games look like that too, a sea of mixed colors. Raiders, Saints, Packers, Vikings, Dolphins, it's way more uniform in the crowd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Have to consider the sources, it's all those posters can complain about after a double digit win over a top 10 team

Reaction Score
I think the offense is better this year. Last year we were a well oiled machine at the end of the year but it wasn't like that for a significant portion of the season. Teams would pack the paint and dare Andre to shoot. At one point both Sanogo and Andre were struggling and the offense was pretty stagnant. We don't have the automatic bucket down low that Sanogo became but we move the ball even better this year, it's the best passing team we've ever had and we protect the ball even better this year. We haven't even seen us nearly at our best. Injuries are slowing us down. If we get healthy it's going to be really scary for everyone else.

My only criticism of the offense is that I feel like it takes us a bit too long to actually get into our sets. That should improve as the season goes on and the movement gets more instinctive for everyone.

Last year we had a ton of wrinkles designed to get Hawkins open looks that aren't there this year. The simplified sets should be easier to nail down.

Reaction Score
Those... Are our colors?

That's the point, we have a lot of colors so it's never going to stand out against a crowd where everyone is in one color like Carolina blue

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My only small critique is Donovan constantly brings the ball down when he gets fed in the post instead of just going right up with it.
I think I know why. His touch is much better when he does. He has really poor touch when he keeps it high and tries to just put it back. Volleyball off the backboard. He shoots much better when he can bring it up in a natural shooting motion. He needs to find a middle ground where he brings it to shoulder height or so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom