UNC Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UNC Post Game Thread

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seems like so many of his turnovers are from trying to make a big play right after he does a nice job doing the little things. The more he keeps making the easy play, the more and more I love seeing him out there
He has close to a 3:1 A/TO ratio. Yesterday he had 4 assists to 2 turnovers. One turnover came on the trap and I believe the other was given to him because Samson did not realize the pass. Not bad for a backup pg.

Reaction Score
I’m not worried about Donovan. It’s clear he’s not at full strength yet, and he still is net positive. He could shoot 0-5 and probably still have a high +/- because of his impact everywhere else

I think his best offense against bigger opponents is rolling to the hoop, catching lobs, and crashing boards. He doesn’t look too bad in the post, but he’s at his best when he doesn’t need to put the ball on the floor

Also keep in mind that last night he played against a 2 time All American who is 4 years older than him. Clingan didn’t shine, but he more than held his own when he was in there

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I’m not worried about Donovan. It’s clear he’s not at full strength yet, and he still is net positive. He could shoot 0-5 and probably still have a high +/- because of his impact everywhere else

I think his best offense against bigger opponents is rolling to the hoop, catching lobs, and crashing boards. He doesn’t look too bad in the post, but he’s at his best when he doesn’t need to put the ball on the floor

Also keep in mind that last night he played against a 2 time All American who is 4 years older than him. Clingan didn’t shine, but he more than held his own when he was in there
My only concern about Donovan is his health and conditioning. Kid showed game all last season.

Reaction Score
Met Luke, he doesn’t feel like a collegiate head coach, could definitely see NBA like you said
Would it be possible to hang onto him for another couple years? He’s young, obviously likes working with Danny, and if they pay him well enough maybe he stays.

Reaction Score
Met Luke, he doesn’t feel like a collegiate head coach, could definitely see NBA like you said
I'm pretty sure I read that he got started coaching because he was obsessed with recruiting magazines and would go watch showcases and the AAU circuit. So it would be surprising if he didn't see a future in college.

Reaction Score
Would it be possible to hang onto him for another couple years? He’s young, obviously likes working with Danny, and if they pay him well enough maybe he stays.
If we have the season we want to have then him and Kimani are probably going to have some nice offers for HC positions. Some guys like being assistants but most of them want to run their own show.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
My only real negative takeaway is 7'3" DC needs to get more than 4 or 5 rebounds a game. He should not get outrebounded by our guards and small forward every game. With that said, we're winning despite of this so it's a real small criticism. We'll only be more dominant once he rebounds better.
TBF, Clingan is altering a number of the shots by the opposition and thereby giving those opportunities for rebounds to other players. It's good that our players are collecting them.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
And 2-3 years ago the rap was that Hurley couldn't coach offense.

He just needed time to populate the roster the way he wanted.

Luke Murray joined the staff in early 2021, and that coincides nicely with we the team's MARKED improvement in our offensive sets.

Credit to Hurley for being open to changing his coaching and recruiting style, but I feel strongly that Luke is the unsung hero of the program's offensive renaissance.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
havent seen anything but any news on Samson injury?
Should be fine. Looked like be banged knees woth a UNC guy and got the worst of it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is frightening. Cam being compared to Grayson Allen by UNC fans. Kentucky fans wanting to steal Hurley. Seth Davis and Jeff Goodman speaking positively about our program.

Time to become a survivalist.

The world is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Old Testament, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes…
The dead rising from the grave.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria.

Reaction Score
I think I know why. His touch is much better when he does. He has really poor touch when he keeps it high and tries to just put it back. Volleyball off the backboard. He shoots much better when he can bring it up in a natural shooting motion. He needs to find a middle ground where he brings it to shoulder height or so.
Was gonna say exactly this

Reaction Score
At the risk of a barrage of tomatoes, I will just register the take that UNC is probably significantly overrated at #9 :
  • their NET ranking is currently #37 (yes, NET is pretty wonky right now, but I don't think this is wildly far off)
  • given the mediocrity of the ACC, their resume rests heavily on how Tennessee finishes up
  • their loss against Villanova looks a lot worse now than it did at the time
  • I expect them to end up more in the 20-25 range

That said, nothing can take away the narrative cachet of the "top 10 matchup" or "blue blood clash" or whatever, so we've already banked that, perception-wise. I just think the significance of this win in our computer profile will probably not be what we hope.

Reaction Score
At the risk of a barrage of tomatoes, I will just register the take that UNC is probably significantly overrated at #9 :
  • their NET ranking is currently #37 (yes, NET is pretty wonky right now, but I don't think this is wildly far off)
  • given the mediocrity of the ACC, their resume rests heavily on how Tennessee finishes up

That said, nothing can take away the narrative cachet of the "top 10 matchup" or "blue blood clash" or whatever, so we've already banked that, perception-wise. I just think the significance of this win in our computer profile will probably not be what we hope.

Na, you are totally right. I think they have some upside but they seem like a 5/6 seed imo. Those teams aren’t easy to beat but I would be very surprised if they are in contention for a 2 seed. Fortunately the media still treats them as Carolina so we can absorb some of that hype.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Did well on Bacot on the second half. He cooked us the fiest 16 mins.

Not sure I saw the same thing reference UNC. They played well and they have some good players on their team. The backcourt is better this year. Ingram is a beast. Bacot still got 16 and 13. I really think their biggest problem is their head coach. Just on calling time outs. With all the runs we went on in the 2nd half he did not use any to stem the tide. In fact about halfway through the second half they had more timeouts left than we did. He never really did anything other than that week 1-3-1 zone. I have never liked a 1-3-1 zone in the half court. Great set to apply full court pressure but against UConn and their big guards we ar going to see the gaps that exist with a 1-3-1 and take advantage of them which we did.

Reaction Score
Not sure I saw the same thing reference UNC. They played well and they have some good players on their team. The backcourt is better this year. Ingram is a beast. Bacot still got 16 and 13. I really think their biggest problem is their head coach. Just on calling time outs. With all the runs we went on in the 2nd half he did not use any to stem the tide. In fact about halfway through the second half they had more timeouts left than we did. He never really did anything other than that week 1-3-1 zone. I have never liked a 1-3-1 zone in the half court. Great set to apply full court pressure but against UConn and their big guards we ar going to see the gaps that exist with a 1-3-1 and take advantage of them which we did.

I agree their biggest weakness is the HC. He really boned them with a few late TO calls.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I hate to inject in any sort of negativity but do we really know what’s up with Donovan’s foot? It can’t be good that the same foot is bothering him again. In my experience these foot/toe problems in big men linger forever, sometimes even after surgery, the best thing is to just stay off it for a long while. In-season it’s generally something you just play through until the pain becomes unbearable. Might be limited throughout the year?
IMG_0510.jpeg

Reaction Score
He has close to a 3:1 A/TO ratio. Yesterday he had 4 assists to 2 turnovers. One turnover came on the trap and I believe the other was given to him because Samson did not realize the pass. Not bad for a backup pg.
Yeah, I've really enjoyed watching him this season, I wasn't trying to imply he was playing poorly or anything. On the Samson play, he does a really good job navigating through the pressure, and then he goes for the lob for a splash play when he probably could have either gone up himself or given Johnson an easier pass. I think because his game is so predicated on speeding things up, sometimes his teammates aren't on the same page.

He's really done a much better job taking care of the ball this year (turning it over about 50% less), and is shooting 50% from the floor so far! Really happy with his progression from last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom