UNC Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UNC Post Game Thread

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
As someone trademarked earlier in the season, “balls coming out party”. Tuesdays after 9pm, it’s been known to happen.

Reaction Score
2 main things I posted in the chat but will reiterate here.

Our bigs rotation (and ironically foul trouble kept the guys pretty fresh) wore down Bacot as the game went on. Our offense forces opposing bigs to guard a lot of picks and keep moving for long shot clocks. There's not a lot of just sitting on the block with your hand on a guy's back. At the pace UNC plays and the minutes that Bacot played, he had no shot and lost his legs in the 2nd.

Our offense is like that Remember the Titans quote. "Just give it time, it always works." With the vision of our guys, the cutting ability, and the scheme, we just put teams in the blender. If your coach isn't Bill Self or close equivalent, we're just going to keep getting wide open 3s, layups, and/or dunks as the game progresses and focus gets harder as you get tired. It's really tough to outscore us when our shot quality is so high and our defensive backbone with Clingan/Johnson is so strong.
The give it time. Play your stuff. Believe in the process. Perfect representation of that in this game.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Buckle up here we go. Ball has arrived. Castle is a difference maker because of defense and just overall presence. Spencer just not sure how to express how good he is at understanding how to play. Tristan is one of the best guards in the country. I hope we see a healthy Clingan even 70% he is also a difference maker. But we also have Johnson. He is an nba athlete. Combined they did a great job on Bacot. And I and still have not mentioned AK. Shooters shoot….the misses can hurt but I have no issue with the shots. There was one today that maybe was not needed but he had a great game. And DH is a master architect. He is weaving these pieces together. I wonder if we can go nine deep. I know we will see a lot of the other freshman on Friday and hopefully one of the wings breakthrough with a big night to help their confidence. Not a news flash for the BY, but we are really good again. And just going to say it here we go with the refs again. Bacot almost took Karabans arm off on the little driving hook shot he had toward the end of the game. That was an and one. We clearly have learned how to play through that bs. It just sharpens steel.

Reaction Score
Good to see AK get his mojo bacl that second half. He'll be dangerous.

Clingan looking young out there vs the vets at times. Still a defensive beast, but needs to play with more IQ on when to swat or stay straight up.

DC also looks much better when he doesn't post up. His % when he dribble 3+ times is abysmal. I want him rim running and putting that passing IQ to work.

Solo is going to be dangerous, dangerous next season. He'll be an Andre level defender before too long. Next step is violentally finishing at the rim like he did at Brewster.

Castle is so under control and comfortable attacking. Great rebounder and makes the right read almost always. He's going to be special, and very soon.

Reaction Score
Great tough win.

• How about Karaban finding ways to play well and contribute when his shot is off? He’s a tough dude.
  • I said early in the first half that Ball needed to step up his game tonight as he was playing timid early, and boy did he!
  • Newton is a dog, flat out. Spencer had another great night.
  • Boy, this is an 8 man rotation. In a game where guys were fighting nagging injuries and fouls, we could have used more than eight, but the other two freshmen are nailed to the bench right now.
  • Glad to see Castle eased back in, he looked good.
  • Hurley is out of control again with the refs. I was worried the natty would go to his head in that regard, and it has. Not happy to see that.

Reaction Score
Buckle up here we go. Ball has arrived. Castle is a difference maker because of defense and just overall presence. Spencer just not sure how to express how good he is at understanding how to play. Tristan is one of the best guards in the country. I hope we see a healthy Clingan even 70% he is also a difference maker. But we also have Johnson. He is an nba athlete. Combined they did a great job on Bacot. And I and still have not mentioned AK. Shooters shoot….the misses can hurt but I have no issue with the shots. There was one today that maybe was not needed but he had a great game. And DH is a master architect. He is weaving these pieces together. I wonder if we can go nine deep. I know we will see a lot of the other freshman on Friday and hopefully one of the wings breakthrough with a big night to help their confidence. Not a news flash for the BY, but we are really good again.

Did well on Bacot on the second half. He cooked us the fiest 16 mins.

Reaction Score
And 2-3 years ago the rap was that Hurley couldn't coach offense.

He just needed time to populate the roster the way he wanted.
I watched a fair amount of URI games but I was more expecting suffocating defense and winning with toughness like we often did under Calhoun. I honestly didn't imagine he would be this good an offensive coach. It's awesome watching our offense.

Reaction Score
Hurley/Davis was a massive coaching mismatch.

We had an answer every time they made a run. If Davis had a functioning brain he would have just had Ingram back down whoever was guarding him. We had no answer for it, and they did it maybe once in the last ten minutes.

This UNC team can’t guard anyone, but they are really, really good offensively. We didn’t try to run with them — we just methodically and efficiently outscored them without getting into a track meet.

Reaction Score
Great team win tonight. 4 guys in double figures and positive contribution from all 8 who saw the floor.

Hope Cam and Clingan’s mins are heavily restricted this weekend. Diarra/ball/Ross/stewart time.

Give Steph as much time on the floor as his mins restriction allows to get him ready for the Zags. If he can go closer to 20, maybe even start him so he gets plenty of reps with the first 5 so they are in lock step headed to Seattle. Then give the keys to the bench and challenge them to step up and trounce Ark-PB.

Reaction Score
For the first time at an MSG game I felt like UConn fans were genuinely outnumbered…until the last ten minutes of the game and it felt like fans of the good guys came back from the bathroom and rappelled down from the rafters and got loud.

Clingan needs to get healthy and they need to find better ways to get him involved offensively.

Spencer hit like 90% of his shots in warmups you knew he was coming in hot. Conversely, Karaban could barely buy a warmup bucket but came right in the end.

Ball is very impressive as a 3 and D frosh.

UNC fans are hilariously insane

Great win

Reaction Score
NC missed a ton more FT’s than it seemed, we missed 7. This team really fights hard and just out toughed NC tonight. They are a good team with a bunch of talent and we wore them down. Solo is a player who can do a lot of things, wow. . Just really happy with Diarra’s impact on games both sides of ball.

Reaction Score
How does one get some sleep after a game like this? I may have to watch a tape of the Giants/Pats game.
Watch the Pats-Rams game. That'll put you asleep within a few minutes. And you won't even miss anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom