UNC Post Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UNC Post Game Thread

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get that, just letting you know I wasn't being critical. It's something that's just unique to our fanbase compared to what I've seen from the other major college fanbases.
I know. Which is why I played off it. Drame is probably wondering it’s reference if he hasn’t read the entire thread but his button down cream colored sweater deserves the confusion. Lucky B should have borrowed someone’s UConn shirt where he was sitting.:cool:

Reaction Score
I know. Which is why I played off it. Drame is probably wondering it’s reference if he hasn’t read the entire thread but his button down cream colored sweater deserves the confusion. Lucky B should have borrowed someone’s UConn shirt where he was sitting.:cool:
I didn't even see a picture so makes a lot more sense now.

caw

Reaction Score
I love Billy Hoyle, I mean Cam Spencer. You would never know it by looking at him but he's the toughest guy on this team.

I dunno, I'd put money on Diarra.

Reaction Score
Man, Luke Winn was probably my favorite “mainstream” CBB media member ever. I’m curious what your go-to sources for hoops talk/writing are nowadays.
Cj Moore over at The Athletic started doing a weekly power ranking this season that is in his own words a spiritual successor to Luke Winn.

Three men weave is probably the most informed out there of full D1, but they've got a gambling bent and mostly are just a once a week podcast now.

I watch some field of 68 stuff, especially the nightly stuff. That's a very smart niche of @RobDauster to get into. I often put it on while doing the dishes at night.

Sam Vecenie does both college and NBA as primarily a draft analyst, but his content is smart.

Honestly I really like the Marquette blogger Paint Touches. There's a decent chance I'll pull the trigger on doing a UConn version of that soon.

Eye on CBS pod is probably the best "mainstream" media overview and most connected info sources out there.

StatsByWill has a newsletter which is pretty good. He's a Tennessee fan but has a really good grasp of analytics and writes some articles for Tennessee fans and some for broader audience with analytics angle.

Eamon Brennan formerly of ESPN has a newsletter now too. John Gasaway is a favorite but mostly behind ESPN+ paywall.

Reaction Score
Cj Moore over at The Athletic started doing a weekly power ranking this season that is in his own words a spiritual successor to Luke Winn.

Three men weave is probably the most informed out there of full D1, but they've got a gambling bent and mostly are just a once a week podcast now.

I watch some field of 68 stuff, especially the nightly stuff. That's a very smart niche of @RobDauster to get into. I often put it on while doing the dishes at night.

Sam Vecenie does both college and NBA as primarily a draft analyst, but his content is smart.

Honestly I really like the Marquette blogger Paint Touches. There's a decent chance I'll pull the trigger on doing a UConn version of that soon.

Eye on CBS pod is probably the best "mainstream" media overview and most connected info sources out there.

StatsByWill has a newsletter which is pretty good. He's a Tennessee fan but has a really good grasp of analytics and writes some articles for Tennessee fans and some for broader audience with analytics angle.

Eamon Brennan formerly of ESPN has a newsletter now too. John Gasaway is a favorite but mostly behind ESPN+ paywall.
Parrish rubs me the wrong way a little, seems like he thinks he’s better/smarter than Norlander.

Reaction Score
Parrish rubs me the wrong way a little, seems like he thinks he’s better/smarter than Norlander.
He plays the confident cool guy that doesn't care to Norlander's nerd at times for sure. But he's self deprecating at other moments. It's all persona though I think. He's a radio pro.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the write up. And if you do go ahead, you got a reader here. All these guys are good (I am unfamiliar with the Marquette and Tenn content) but it does seem to CBB is lacking in smart analysis, at least compared NBA and CFB.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We are simply the worst fanbase about wearing our colors in the whole country. Grey, black, white, navy, red. If somebody wasn't in powder blue, they were likely a UConn fan.

Side note: you may be right on the offense, especially how limited Andre was until late in the season. Tristen is even better than he was. Cam passes better than Hawkins, which is valuable. Castle is an upgrade on Andre offensively. Clingan won't give us what Adama did offensively, but his rebounding creates a lot of offense.

Against Indiana, fan near me was wearing a UConn national champion shirt. The emblem was blue. The shirt was Indiana red.

Against UNC, fan near me was wearing another UConn shirt. The shirt's color was Tarheel blue.

I kid you not, I'm not embellishing one iota. UConn fans were wearing the opposing team colors.

I did not see any Texas orange shirts, thank god.

Our problem might be that the school licenses this stuff. We allow each and every color.

Reaction Score
I hate moral victories, so the Kansas game sucked. Our guys were clearly beat up and yet managed to have a shot to win it in an environment where it clearly took them a few minutes to settle down.

Turn to last night, that same banged up team manhandled a very talented UNC squad. Easily a S16/E8 caliber team.

Newton carried the team vs Kansas but we can't ask for him to post 30 regularly. Nice to see Spencer, Karaban bounce back and Ball step up. Clingan and Simpson played really well despite serious foul troubles. I think this team will have to play outside in versus last year when our best was playing inside out. This years team is going to rely heavily on guard play beyind just shooting 3s.

Diarra and Castle also gave really quality minutes off the bench. Castle is going to be very good. Reminds me of a young Caron with his combination of skill and toughness.

Still felt like this game was pieced together around ton of negative plays and we were still head and shoulders better than UNC. This team gets healthy and continues getting contributions from all sides they will be a tough out.

What we don't have yet from last year is that sure fire we need a basket guy to break runs. Last year, we could always rely on Sanogo to score and then Hawkins during the tournament. So we'll need someone to be that guy.

Newton though is playing at a NPOY level.
Yes. The best play we have is Spencer driving to the rim with dc or SJ cutting for a lob and cam freezes the defensive guy as he is caught between deflecting the dunker or cams teardrop

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I get that, just letting you know I wasn't being critical. It's something that's just unique to our fanbase compared to what I've seen from the other major college fanbases.
Color coordination? We don't need no stinkin' color coordination...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Against Indiana, fan near me was wearing a UConn national champion shirt. The emblem was blue. The shirt was Indiana red.

Against UNC, fan near me was wearing another UConn shirt. The shirt's color was Tarheel blue.

I kid you not, I'm not embellishing one iota. UConn fans were wearing the opposing team colors.

I did not see any Texas orange shirts, thank god.

Our problem might be that the school licenses this stuff. We allow each and every color.
Many of our fans just don't think really. If we are playing Indiana, I won't even put on red underwear. Even when I'm going to be at home. It's the principle of the thing. Think how hard this is for other teams and they still do it. Texas colors are ugly as hell, and yet they all have them. Navy and White shouldn't be so challenging, that should be half your wardrobe anyway.

Reaction Score
Our primary two colors are uniquely "difficult" to coordinate around. Navy blue is distinctive but doesn't show up well in dark arenas. Hard to peer pressure the fans around a color that you can barely identify in people more than a few dozen feet away. White is...well, white.

The only solution I can think of to this is one that I'm sure would never be accepted, and that's for the fan gear to adopt a widespread thick-striped navy/white motif. That would be very distinctive in the college sports world, easy to spot in an arena, and easy to coordinate around. But it's stripes. Stripes ain't hip for basketball.

Reaction Score
Our primary two colors are uniquely "difficult" to coordinate around. Navy blue is distinctive but doesn't show up well in dark arenas. Hard to peer pressure the fans around a color that you can barely identify in people more than a few dozen feet away. White is...well, white.

The only solution I can think of to this is one that I'm sure would never be accepted, and that's for the fan gear to adopt a widespread thick-striped navy/white motif. That would be very distinctive in the college sports world, easy to spot in an arena, and easy to coordinate around. But it's stripes. Stripes ain't hip for basketball.

Exactly. It is too hard to get everyone on the same page with respect to colors. The solution should be for all fans in attendance to wear team jerseys (with no undershirts).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hate to inject in any sort of negativity but do we really know what’s up with Donovan’s foot? It can’t be good that the same foot is bothering him again. In my experience these foot/toe problems in big men linger forever, sometimes even after surgery, the best thing is to just stay off it for a long while. In-season it’s generally something you just play through until the pain becomes unbearable. Might be limited throughout the year?
View attachment 93752

I could have misheard, but I listened to the Field of 68 After Dark show after the UNC game and I'm pretty sure they said that Clingan's toe issue is on the other foot that did not have the issue in September. @RobDauster can you confirm?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I re-watched the UNC game yesterday. Fun to do when we win. I can rewind and find stuff I miss during the live game. Two non basketball things that stood out to me. First, there were a group of Illinois fans that stayed for the second game. They had excellent seats next to the UConn bench. I think they fell in love with DH. They had S#@%eating grins watching DH's antics. More importantly, there was a guy directly behind the UConn with flowing locks and an impressive beard who was arguing with the refs all the while not spilling his tasty dark beer. I think he's good for our mojo.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

You know what I got out of this? You do dishes!!! I thought you were a math nerd bot.

Reaction Score
I concur. Bilas always seems fair and impartial to me. He regularly gives UConn the credit they deserve due to their mental toughness and team effort.
I have always liked Bilas. You know deep down inside when he calls a Duke game he wants Duke to win since he was an alum from there. However, if you didn't know anything about him while he was calling a Duke game, you would never know he was Duke alum.

BTW, Duke fans hate him. Their comments towards Bilas resemble some of the UConn fans' comments towards Donny Marshall at times.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I try really hard to be an "in the moment" type of guy, but all I can say is:

It's really fun filling out your March Madness bracket when you put UConn in your championship winner spot and then figure out the rest.
So every year then?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
So every year then?
I always pick UConn to go all the way when they’re in the tourney. Then I do another bracket in case they lose. Last year I won 500 bucks.(Thanks UConn!) finished second out of 128 brackets. 1st place grabbed 700 Bucks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom