UMass Post Mortem | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UMass Post Mortem

Reaction Score
First step for the new coach is go to the portal and get a quarterback. Maybe 2. It is clear that if Krajewski is the answer you are asking the wrong question. P isn‘t great but compared to everybody else he looks like Tom Brady. I’ve said since early on our tight ends are not good. The next time one of them makes a block will be the first.
Maybe they can find and build an OL and pass rush in the portal while they're there.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I was at the game and have a few tidbits:

1) UMass facilities pale compared to UConn. It was like being at a high school stadium.

2) Keating is a high energy guy. He was working the fans ALL GAME to get us into it. Cheers to him and Carter.

3) This team will not win this season. They do not have the heart.

4) Our best bet is to survive the remaining games without major injury.

5) AD Dave was on the sidelines looking awkward. His best bet is to announce an exciting new head coach around Thanksgiving with a meaty assistant coach budget.

6) Beers are a lot cheaper at UMass but they have fewer options.

Reaction Score
Absolute turd of a game by all the coaches and players save Carter. He plays hard and aggressive.
Yep saw it up close and have every game. 11 Carters on the field and you have a football buzz saw!
WR's and TE's are LOL bad at trying to catch passes.
Not a single attempt to get Rose the ball today after a couple of productive weeks. ???? No sweep no flea flicker...
Uconn was once again bullied at the line of scrimmage. We are getting pushed around week after week. The problem is Uconn doesn;t push back.
Line play did them in today sad to say. Yep a short poem...
Seriously, Carter can stay and it doesn't matter if anyone else does.
No attack and we are taking it on the chin ;) but can we keep a few of the frosh and soph recruits? Brewton is a beast with a little blocking and I would really hate to lose McFadden, good legs are hard to come by. No coach is capable of bringing in an entire new staff and a team of 85 players overnight. For at least three years we would be no better than we are now.
I don't want a dollar of my taxes or any other CT residents tax dollars going to improve Rentschler Field
I talked to Ned today and he said for me not to worry, with you being a Big Ten Fan you won't be getting a vote. :D

It was a tough game to be at today. Not great but a decent UConn fan base along with the band made for a good amount of spirit. The problem was none from the players, other than Keating and Kerr urging the crowd on their teammates were lifeless. The UMass crowed even helped on 3rd and for their team by cheering and hollering with us. They do not understand the logic of third down noise but they got the win.
Dave B on the field the entire second half had to be excruciating, he may have well been with them in a library. Players simply not supporting one another. On one instance when carter got hurt and was on the table 3 / 4 players came over to express a form of emotion. This was a Halloween act, a trick and no treat for UConn fans and family's of players.
This team has to find a will and spirit or Boolah Boolah is going to boogie all over them.

Reaction Score
Don't expect that happening anytime soon this season. We need to figure out what to do with the guys we have that are healthy enough to play. Let's see what Micah Leon can do.... he always looked the part in practice, right?
Leon wasn't even dressed and on the sideline. Jacob Drena was dressed and next to Zergiotis (as well as helping to warm up the two of them prior to the start of the second half)

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
3) This team will not win this season. They do not have the heart.
Sorry, I'm not buying this one. They showed heart in the 2nd half against Army, and against Wyoming and Vandy. They didn't show it today against UMass; I get it. The question is what happened since last weekend that made the Huskies lose heart? I'm not excusing them for losing, or even for losing heart because teams with winning mentalities find ways to push through adversity and maintain their focus and determination, and their intestinal fortitude is not dininished. But the Huskies are in the early stages of trying to develop a winning mindset, and to make matters more challenging they have had three quarterback changes, three coaching changes (counting Spanos being sidelined due to covid), and siginificant (perhaps season-ending) injuries to key players. Couple all of this with a future of uncertainty in terms of who the next HC will be and what that will mean to the program. That's a lot to deal with. I am very disappointed with the results against UMass, but I am also very proud of the effort this team showed against Army, Wyoming, and Vanderbilt. This loss feels to me worse than Holy Cross because we appeared to have positive momentum and reasons for optimism going into this game. I am going to toss this game into the circular file in hopes that they figure out a way to regroup and refocus and get ready to face Yale and try and get their first win of the season.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Still can’t throw, still can’t catch, still can’t block, still can’t tackle.

We suck.
So, you just throw away all of the improvements, as modest as they may be? Did we not show at least some progress over the previous two and a half games to give fans at least something to cheer for? We competed against Wyoming and Vanderbilt, and that made those games (mostly) enjoyable to watch. We can get back on track again.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
So, you just throw away all of the improvements, as modest as they may be? Did we not show at least some progress over the previous two and a half games to give fans at least something to cheer for? We competed against Wyoming and Vanderbilt, and that made those games (mostly) enjoyable to watch. We can get back on track again.
The last two games showed definite improvement.

And then we lost to UMass by 14.

You can 2 steps forward one step back all you want, but this was a god awful loss.

On the upside, I want to think we’ve bottomed out, but I guess we’ll see what Yale has to say about that.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
The last two games showed definite improvement.

And then we lost to UMass by 14.

You can 2 steps forward one step back all you want, but this was a god awful loss.

On the upside, I want to think we’ve bottomed out, but I guess we’ll see what Yale has to say about that.
It was a horrible, horrible loss, and it does feel like rock bottom and somehow worse than any of the crushing losses to obviously superior teams. Maybe as bad or worse than losing to Holy Cross. Next door neighbor UMass getting bragging rights for not being as bad as us does feel like salt in the wound, but yes...let's see what happens against Yale. Hopefully we'll get back on the road to building and improving.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Sorry, I'm not buying this one. They showed heart in the 2nd half against Army, and against Wyoming and Vandy. They didn't show it today against UMass; I get it. The question is what happened since last weekend that made the Huskies lose heart? I'm not excusing them for losing, or even for losing heart because teams with winning mentalities find ways to push through adversity and maintain their focus and determination, and their intestinal fortitude is not dininished. But the Huskies are in the early stages of trying to develop a winning mindset, and to make matters more challenging they have had three quarterback changes, three coaching changes (counting Spanos being sidelined due to covid), and siginificant (perhaps season-ending) injuries to key players. Couple all of this with a future of uncertainty in terms of who the next HC will be and what that will mean to the program. That's a lot to deal with. I am very disappointed with the results against UMass, but I am also very proud of the effort this team showed against Army, Wyoming, and Vanderbilt. This loss feels to me worse than Holy Cross because we appeared to have positive momentum and reasons for optimism going into this game. I am going to toss this game into the circular file in hopes that they figure out a way to regroup and refocus and get ready to face Yale and try and get their first win of the season.
I hope you’re right, but I don’t see it.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
For years I believed we could be better at FB than other “BB schools” like Duke, Indiana, and Kansas.

Now I dream that someday we can be as good as Duke, Indiana, and Kansas.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
For years I believed we could be better at FB than other “BB schools” like Duke, Indiana, and Kansas.

The sad thing is we were better, then pi$$ed it all away.

The even sadder thing is that I now share your dream.

Reaction Score
The offense was bad, the defense was hot garbage in the 2nd half. How many times did UMass zip down the field into the UConn red zone? Piss poor effort all around.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Leon wasn't even dressed and on the sideline. Jacob Drena was dressed and next to Zergiotis (as well as helping to warm up the two of them prior to the start of the second half)
I had to look up who Jacob Drena was.

He was #1511 best player of the 2019 class. #14 in CT.

That said, despite what I think is an unorthodox delivery that'll probably see a few passes batted down at the line, he does seem to have touch along with some arm strength that lets him throw deep even off his back foot.

Why not at this point?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There was just one thing I knew I couldn’t handle this season and that was a loss to UMass. To me a win yesterday was the most important and only must have of the season.

So while I love college football, maybe I need to finally find a better use of my time.

Has it been confirmed anywhere on the status of Noel Mazzone? Is his one week at a time consulting deal now over?

@CTMike, what’s the next bottom? The first 100 point loss in modern history?

Some of these UConn coaches would be challenged matching wits with the local HS JV staff. Sadz.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple. Not about having no heart. They are just not as talented. Especially when they have starters out. Coaching is and has been an issue. we all know that. When the thread was opened asking what would be a successful season, people were posting ridiculous statements like 6 7 or even more wins. Problem is and always has been expectations. Anyone who has seen this team should have known they were not going to be competitive. Calling them heartless or whatever is a cheap shot. They just are not very good. Mainly where the game is won and lost. On the lines.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Pretty simple. Not about having no heart. They are just not as talented. Especially when they have starters out. Coaching is and has been an issue. we all know that. When the thread was opened asking what would be a successful season, people were posting ridiculous statements like 6 7 or even more wins. Problem is and always has been expectations. Anyone who has seen this team should have known they were not going to be competitive. Calling them heartless or whatever is a cheap shot. They just are not very good. Mainly where the game is won and lost. On the lines.
Yep, but the coaches recruit the players, and make the roster priorities. This staff (Edsall) went into the season with the roster we have and the talent that you see.

Reaction Score
Just a bump on the way up. Talent at UConn (players and coaching) isn't good enough to have some great upward trajectory from the Army game to the end of the season (never mind the additional key guy injuries and Covid issues). Have cut out the damaged tissue (HCRE2.0), now the healing and improvement will have some good days and some not so good days. Keep working it.

Liberty is #56 on Massey. FBS Independent with move up from FCS in 2018. They have a 25,000 seat stadium. Getting better is doable, just do it.

Reaction Score

Well, then, UConn has achieved your dream; it may be better at football than all of its basketball-only peers in the New Big East. But wait, Xavier has a club team. Could Xavier's club team beat UConn in football? Schedule a game and we'll find out.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There was just one thing I knew I couldn’t handle this season and that was a loss to UMass. To me a win yesterday was the most important and only must have of the season.

So while I love college football, maybe I need to finally find a better use of my time.

Has it been confirmed anywhere on the status of Noel Mazzone? Is his one week at a time consulting deal now over?

@CTMike, what’s the next bottom? The first 100 point loss in modern history?

Some of these UConn coaches would be challenged matching wits with the local HS JV staff. Sadz.
First 10 years of FBS were my favorite as a UConn fan. Everything since has been a bottomless pit of despair.

Reaction Score
… UConn has achieved your dream; it may be better at football than all of its basketball-only peers in the New Big East.
Don’t bet on it.

Villanova has a strong FCS program. This season Nova played Penn State at Penn State on September 25th losing by a respectable a score of 38 to 17.

Yesterday UConn got defeated at UMass by lowly UMass by a score of 27 to 13.

Do you really believe UConn could play competitive with Penn State if it cannot be competitive with UMass ?

Reaction Score
He’s not the answer.
He did not have a good game for sure but so did other players. He did not do bad in his other games (especially Vandy) but it’s absolutely funny how you let only one game define him as a player. How many chances (excuses) did Washington, Beaudry, Pindell, Zergiotis and Tyler Phommachanh get? It’s nice you throw this kid under the bus and won’t give him a chance. Especially since VanDeMark and Spanos weren’t there and Mo was calling all the plays.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
What’s worse than being a UConn football fan? Being a fan of the New York Football Giants is close. I think the same football gods hate both teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom