UK vs IU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UK vs IU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ole Roy is the most overrated coach in the game. I might get flamed for this but I've always considered Dean Smith highly overrated as well, only winning 2 titles with the amount of talent he had is underachieving.

caw

Reaction Score
That's a good question. I would say the same thing for UNC. Jones, Davis, Miller, Lamb, and MKG are all studs. Teague is pretty damn talented in his own right.

How many could get that team to come to their school?

Reaction Score
Agree, considering the amount of FFs, not a lot of NCs to show for it. Tarheels seem to think he's the #1 or #2 coach of all-time.

Reaction Score
I know others disagree, but I just think if you foul in the backcourt, you give the other team the chance to advance the ball 40-50 feet on the inbounds pass without the clock moving. Or if you foul in the frontcourt - you give the inbounds passer five seconds to stand still and weigh his passing options without the clock moving. These are advantages that you do not have going end to end with the clock moving. There are times it makes sense (if you feel like you're beaten off the dribble, or if the other team has a Tyus Edney type with a head of steam going crossing midcourt, or as free reign to gamble on going for a steal or a held ball). It's just become a rote thing - people just think it's standard strategy that you're supposed to give one if you have one, but many times there's nothing strategically gained from it. I just think coaches now do it because everyone else does, and they don't want to be second-guessed. The foul Teague tried to commit maybe was worth it, since Indiana had just taken a timeout to design something and diidnt have any more to design something else, but in hindsight if he had simply guarded his man, there wouldn't have been a guy open, since Miller had to leave his guy to help.

Reaction Score
Maybe I misunderstood your first post. Isn't conventional wisdom fouling in this situation after they cross halfcourt, not before? There shouldn't be an issue of advancing the ball to the other-side. I believe the play is to make the inbound tough, try to get a steal if possible, then foul once they cross the timeline before they can get into a shooting motion.

There is probably some truth behind coaches doing it because it's the norm, similar to how few football coaches used to go for it on fourth and short.

Reaction Score
LOL, critcize his in-game coaching if you want, but Calipari does a terrific job getting the most out of his players.

I know he's considered to be worse than the devil around here, but all things considered the guy is a pretty good basketball coach.

He is a pretty good basketball coach but he was a very good basketball coach prior to Kentucky and Memphis..............his UMass days with Kellogg, Padilla, Travieso and those guys his teams played their butts off. Defensively they were rats and drove teams crazy. But his marriage to WWW and the dark side of the world brings in kids who already know what they want out of life and he's just a bed and breakfast on their way and he accepts that. With most of these kis comes an uncoachable attitude and it's been obvious to many from Memphis to Wall to now. Although they seem to be buying into defense a little more with this years team (and the refs have bought in to it also as they swallowed the whistle at the end for poor IU.......awful display of reffing) there is still that star attitude of the one and dones which is glaring. As I said with many other players of his recent past, these guys could go to UHart and still be the same player in the draft next year. Makes me laugh to hear a kid say "look what he did with John Wall and Derrick Rose.........." - they actually believe he made them better.....shows who kids are listening to. If kids were smart it would be "...look what he did with Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier I never even played an AAU game against him and never heard of him............."

It's Coach Cal, sleeze will never leave him (Don't think he's friendly with JC or Louie Carnesseca) and losing will only make most of us very happy!!

Reaction Score
But the good guys do eventually win with or without referees and the Ky fans. Hmmnn, interesting that the abbreviation of that state is KY. I wonder???

Reaction Score
Great game. Very happy for the IU fans- they always are good people to interact with when we have had the chance.

Reaction Score
Great game. Very happy for the IU fans- they always are good people to interact with when we have had the chance.

Agree I was very happy for the team and their fans as well as Crean. They have come a long way from the forgotten program after what Sampson did. Good for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom