UK vs IU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UK vs IU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That really was an amazing/lucky ending. Watching the squid and Kentucky go down at the buzzer was certainly sweet, and IU needs to be given a tremendous amount of credit.

That being said, IU was immensely lucky to pull out that win with the horrendous way Creen was coaching in the second half. He didn't call time outs and set up plays when he should have, he did when he shouldn't have (wastes his last TO after Lamb misses the first FT), he didn't have the offense run through "Big Z" when he was posting up Davis who had 4 fouls, and he didn't make any sort of defensive adjustments when Kentucky had penetrated and ran a lay up line for the entire second half. IU played matador defense with no help whatsoever, allowing UK to score on almost ever possession during the final 12 minutes of the game. I don't believe KU hit a single three in the second half, and was amazed that Creen decided to do his best head in the sand ostrich impersonation, and not switch to zone, or make any other defensive adjustment. I always thought Creen was a decent X and O coach, but was convinced otherwise tonight.

That being said, I'll take that Kentucky loss any day of the week, and am happy for IU and their classy fans. Hell of a court storming...

Reaction Score
I consider Terrence Jones to be a player with incredible skills and athletic ability. The fact that Calipari gets so little out of this kid speaks volumes about his coaching and preparing players.

Reaction Score
how do you not hit zeller on the roll there!?!

The kid who missed Zeller there kept Indiana in the game singlehandedly for a good 10 minute stretch. I think he let it get to his head.

Reaction Score
I consider Terrence Jones to be a player with incredible skills and athletic ability. The fact that Calipari gets so little out of this kid speaks volumes about his coaching and preparing players.
LOL, critcize his in-game coaching if you want, but Calipari does a terrific job getting the most out of his players.

I know he's considered to be worse than the devil around here, but all things considered the guy is a pretty good basketball coach.

Reaction Score
LOL, critcize his in-game coaching if you want, but Calipari does a terrific job getting the most out of his players.

I know he's considered to be worse than the devil around here, but all things considered the guy is a pretty good basketball coach.

Uh-huh. All I know is that Calhoun has never wasted a talent like Jones. Never. You think he's developing at all? You think Brandon Knight had advanced at all last year? He looked better going in than he did leaving. I'd take the Terrence Jones of the first week of his freshman year over the current Terrence Jones.

Reaction Score
The kid who missed Zeller there kept Indiana in the game singlehandedly for a good 10 minute stretch. I think he let it get to his head.

What game did you watch, Oladipo played well but singlehandedly? Watford hit big shots throughout the 2nd half besides the game winner, I don't know, maybe you're getting the two of them confused.

Reaction Score
What game did you watch, Oladipo played well but singlehandedly? Watford hit big shots throughout the 2nd half besides the game winner, I don't know, maybe you're getting the two of them confused.

I wrote for a stretch, not the entire second half.

Reaction Score
And saying he carried them for a 10 minute stretch, was a stretch, he did no such thing.

Reaction Score
That's one of the biggest disappearing acts from a star player as you're ever going to see.

Jones' final line:

2-3 FGA, 0-2 FTA, 1 Rebound, 1 Assist, 1 Steal, 2 Blocks, 6 TO, 4 PTS

They're hammering him on the UK board

Reaction Score
Seriously, no. Guy is a recruiter, and nothing more.
When we played them last year, we couldn't stop Jones. Guy was killing us. Go check the box.
But he got slowed down at the end because Calipari was too stupid to feed the kid the ball. Instead, he let Jennings and Lamb or whoever run the "AAA" offense, where everybody tries to be a Big Shot (last . . . night). So they lose, Jones not touching the ball much down the stretch.

Sorry. If he was anywhere near a decent coach, the strategy last year would have been to give Jones the ball every time down the court until we showed we could stop him. Likely, the kid would have had 30 and 15 and would have fouled out 3 of our guys in the process.

I don't have the same hatred of Calipari from his UMass days because I didn't follow the whole Camby thing.

I don't dislike him for being slime. I dislike him because he's a lousy coach and faker.

Reaction Score
I actually think Calipari is a good coach. Not a great coach, but a very good one. He gets a lot of talent, but so does Rick Barnes. More often than not with Calipari his players will play to their potential. People like to say he rolls the ball out and lets them play, but it's not nearly that easy.

When is the last time a Kentucky player has just been a flat out bust?

Reaction Score
Verdell Jones III did keep UK in the game but more of the blame must be laid on Crean. As little as I like Dickie V, he was spot-on about Zeller needing to get touches. He literally did not touch the ball for the first 4-5 minutes of game time after Davis re-entered with 4 fouls.

Calipari does get a ton out of his players, hate him or not. His teams are excellent defensively every year and you do not excel on defense without maximum effort. Calipari may not be getting the most out of Jones but this is the anomaly. Brandon Knight improved exponentially last year. That is why he went from a projected lottery pick pre-season, to a late first rounder after his shaky start to a lottery pick in the end.

I'm surprised that a few of you have gotten banned at Rupp Rafters so easily. I have trolled Rupp Rafters a couple of times after a late night of drinking and have basically begged to be banned (calling the fan base imbred hillbillies) but am always allowed back on.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of hearing about what a great coach Calipari is, he gets by far the most talent every year and hasn't won crap. They aren't winning it this year either, he's a crap in game coach.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of hearing about what a great coach Calipari is, he gets by far the most talent every year and hasn't won crap. They aren't winning it this year either, he's a crap in game coach.

By far the most talent every year? That is arguable. The one year he certainly had the most talent was in 2009-2010, and that roster was made up mostly of freshman. UNC and UConn have just as much talent this year, IMO. Last season UK wasn't even that talented. OSU and UNC both had more talent but UK was able to pull out victories.

In 07-08 Memphis and Kansas were basically equal talent wise and the game came down to the last possesion as expected.

As I said, you could do a lot worse than Calipari. You could have a guy like Rick Barnes.

Reaction Score
By far the most talent every year? That is arguable. The one year he certainly had the most talent was in 2009-2010, and that roster was made up mostly of freshman. UNC and UConn have just as much talent this year, IMO. Last season UK wasn't even that talented. OSU and UNC both had more talent but UK was able to pull out victories.

In 07-08 Memphis and Kansas were basically equal talent wise and the game came down to the last possesion as expected.

As I said, you could do a lot worse than Calipari. You could have a guy like Rick Barnes.

How is this even an argument? Guy gets more talent than anyone.

Reaction Score
I am not going to stick my neck out and say that Cal is a great coach but anyone who watches UK play and can't clearly see that this club gets after it on D needs a check-up.

Reaction Score
Figures that UK lost, they dunked the ball way too many times over the course of the game.

Reaction Score
How is this even an argument? Guy gets more talent than anyone.

On a yearly basis he does, but guys just don't stick around for long, meaning he has to start fresh every year. How many times has Roy Williams gotten star upper classmen to stick around for another run?

If UK doesn't at least make the final four this year I can see how you would be critical, but I think they will.

caw

Reaction Score
In my mind there are 4 parts to being a great coach in college:
1) Recruiting
2) Teaching
3) Pre-game planning/style of coaching
4) In game

Recruiting: Cal may be the best in the game (and yes I know many say he has help from WWW or whoever), he gets away with it though. He has had the last 3, #1 recruiting classes, that is unreal (and likely why most believe he is cheating).

Teaching: Cal is a pretty good teacher of the game. Hate him or not, he does a decent job of building players and allowing them to play to their strength. Heck he got Harrellson drafted. It does help that he has the best athletes money can buy almost every year. His big flaw here is that he doesn't seem to care or know how to teach free-throw shooting.

Pre-game planning/style of coaching: I think Cal's DDO is actually pretty good for the players he has (why not let the kids just out athlete the other team) and usually he gets his guys to play hard on defense.

In game: This is a major area where Cal is pretty weak. He isn't great with TO's, fouls, or rotations. When up against another top coach with equal talent he doesn't know what to do. In this aspect he plays checkers when everyone else is playing chess.

There are a bevy of coaches worse than Cal though, like the ones that can't coach and don't recruit as well as him (Pastner, Barnes, etc.)

If you were making a top ten of current coaches, Cal is probably in it.
Calhoun, Izzo, K, Roy, Jimmy B, Donovan, Pitino and Self would all probably be ahead of him, then you have I would have to think Cal or Matta comes next and those are your top 10 coaches in college bball.

Reaction Score
50% of Div. 1 college coaches could coach this year's UK team into a Final Four.

Higher or lower?

Reaction Score
I don't have the same hatred of Calipari from his UMass days because I didn't follow the whole Camby thing.

I don't dislike him for being slime. I dislike him because he's a lousy coach and faker.

You had to be there in the dark days to understand the UConn-UMass rivalry. Calipari is a punk who basically made his mark by antagonizing Calhoun. He was like a village idiot poking a bee's nest with a stick. Predictably, Calhoun fought back. The umass dopes thought Calhoun was attacking umass but it was all about the squid. Now the umess fans are like the rednecks down south who are still fighting the civil war. They are still fighting the war against Calhoun and UConn. That's why we have b!tches like Dan Wetzel sniffing the crotches of our recruits to dig up dirt on the program. And ALL OF THIS was caused by the squid. He has always been a decent coach and a major . Without his miraculous success on the recruiting trails he wouldn't win nearly as many games as he does. His teams would still be solid but the reality is that the only reason he knocks on the door of the final four is because he has been able to get championship talent before he every became a champion.

Reaction Score
I still don't get this obsession with using a foul to give. Calipari wanted his team to give one, and Treague took himself totally out of the play going for a foul 70 feet from the basket which would have accomplished nothing. Now once IU got over midcourt, Darius Miller should have given one since the team is playing 5-on-4 with Teague jogging back for some reason. But if you play straight up D, there is no reason whatsoever to give a foul on purpose, stop the clock, and allow the other team to advance the ball with a pass without time running off the clock. And if Miller had fouled, IU would have had the chance to run a sidelines out of bounds play, which people work on in practice all the time (although with Teague jogging back, that would have been a preferable choice)..

Reaction Score
50% of Div. 1 college coaches could coach this year's UK team into a Final Four.

Higher or lower?

That's a good question. I would say the same thing for UNC. Jones, Davis, Miller, Lamb, and MKG are all studs. Teague is pretty damn talented in his own right.

Reaction Score
I think fouling in that situation is fine. If I remember correctly, I think they didn't guard the inbounder? Gotta put someone on him, especially with the length UK has. They probably make a short pass, take a second to get near the timeline and you foul shaving a bit of time off. Force them to have a big guy inbound the ball, or if they use a guard to inbound, slap Davis on him. Guys practice inbounds plays, but they also practice defending them. I want the pressure on the other team to get the ball in before they can even think of finding a decent shot.

Reaction Score
I said Calipari gets the best talent every year, how can you dispute this statement? He had had the #1 recruiting class for at least 3 years in a row and he always gets the #1 point guard recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom