UH...Stanford Duke Gamethread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UH...Stanford Duke Gamethread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cardfan- I believe you misunderstood Cams reasoning or intent for bringing up Dukes player losses this year. It was not meant to devalue Stanfords win as some other fans might do when their team loses. You know the typical we would have won if. It was meant more as an expression of pride in what the Duke team was able to accomplish under the circumstances. Most people on the Duke site felt it might be possible under the right circumstances that they might win against Stanford, but not that it was probable. The margin of error was just to narrow. The pieces just weren't there.

While not even neccessary your argument that Stanfords injuries and loss of starters were compatable to Dukes losses were never the less highly simplistic. It's not just about losing starters but the skills those players provide to the team, the level of importance placed on those skill and if that level of loss can be replaced by other players. Both the starters that Duke lost were guards able to create their own shots off the dribble and break down the defense on their drives. The loss of depth thinned the fouls available to the guard positions. That impacted Dukes ability to implement pressure defense along with their own ability to deal with breaking the oppositions.

You are correct that injuries are part of basketball and up until this year Duke has been fortunate as far as injuries were concerned. That was even discussed on a thread on their site. I realize that Stanford doesn't get the respect it deserves form many WCBB fans and you probable have a right to feel defensive, but your reaction to Cams post was a misunderstanding of his intent. It was not meant as an excuse for a loss trash talk, but an example of pride in the way Dukes team was able to exceed their fans expectations. Your statement that injuries are part of basketball would seem to devalue their fan bases jusification for the pride that they feel about about the teams accomplishments under difficult circumstances. I would assume that was not your intent either. So lets all get together and and support Stanford defeating Baylor. Then we can sit by a campfire holding hands singing Kum By Ya. :D

Reaction Score
Willtalk- I understood Cam's intent, completely. I have no doubt their injuries affected their chances of advancing further. I could say the same thing about Stanford for a number of years. But I also have pride for Stanford getting to the F4 even though we lost 3 players this year.

Thanks for your support for Stanford to beat Baylor.

Reaction Score
Supporting Stanford is not something I should be thanked for. I have been a supporter and have followed them for years. Heck I live in central NorCal. I am well aware of the hard luck they have encountered. I remember when injuries forced them to recruit Folke off the volleyball team only to have the officials bad calls foul her out in the simi's when with her on the floor they clearly domimated. In fact I believe that string of bad luck has effected Tara coaching in the big games recently. She seems to coach "scared to lose" because she is always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I really hope she can get that monkey off her back this year.

Reaction Score
They didn't recruit Folkl off of the vball team. She was recruited both by teams and a scholarship to play vball, but coaches agreed she'd play both. She joined the bball in mid Dec. after the vball team was done. Tara did have to talk her to coming back for her Sr. year after Naomi M. was hurt. I will never forget the egregious fouls Sally Bell called on Folkl in the ODU in Cincy '97. Never. She was my favorite Stanford player, until Nneka. :)

from wiki:

While at Stanford, she was a four-time volleyball All-American, a basketball all-American as a senior, and a two-sport academic all-American. She appeared in a total of six Final Fours (four in volleyball and two in basketball) and won three national championships in volleyball. In her senior year, she was a first team All-American in both sports and was named the GTE Academic Player of the Year. She was also a participant on the USA Women's National Volleyball Team, and was a first-alternate at the 1996 Summer Olympics.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She would have needed to be on a basketball scholarship then under NCAA rules.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why not a walk-on? Actually, I think they did 50/50 endowment scholie.
NCAA has a priority list of sports when designating players of multiple sports for scholarships and WCBB is at the top of the list so that it has priority over all others. It is not an optional thing.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
NCAA has a priority list of sports when designating players of multiple sports for scholarships and WCBB is at the top of the list so that it has priority over all others. It is not an optional thing.

I'm sure you're right that a player with an athletic scholarship who plays on the WBB team counts against the WBB 15 scholarship limit. Cardfan may have meant that half the money for her scholarship came from funds that were donated as a volleyball scholarship.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's what I meant per 50/50 endowment.
Sorry, didn't understand that to be limited to the financial side of the issue. I was thinking only of the eligibility issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom