Uh Oh The Over-coddled Soft Generation In WCBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uh Oh The Over-coddled Soft Generation In WCBB

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
and now we should understand Diamond even more

Well of course. Diamond told Holly she was not returning in a text message. So efficient, no muss, no fuss. So iGen.

Reaction Score
I taught Elementary Physical Education from 1970 to 2000. The first 3 years in MO and the last 27 in East Lyme, CT. I was also the HS Wrestling coach and I "coached" Physical Education, I didn't teach it!
I was as tough and hard-nose as any teacher in the system! I rarely smiled during classes and geared my classes to teaching them varied activities with emphasis on student safety. I came down the hardest on those that did something without thinking that wound up hurting another student!
A day or two before the last day, classes came by to say goodbye and they always had questions to ask me, the best one, was a 4th grade class asked me if I had any teeth? I taught them through Kindergarten 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades and they never saw me smile once! I showed them my teeth and explained that in 27 years in East Lyme I had 2 kids get hurt, one girl was doing pushups slipped and chipped a tooth on the floor, and the other was a girl who tripped going over a low hurdle and landed wrong breaking her wrist! I asked them if they remembered seeing a student in class or on the playground doing something stupid that hurt themselves or another student and they all shook their heads yes, telling me what they saw.
I said I felt I had an obligation to send them home as they came to school that morning, on their feet!
When I see kids I taught back then and are in their 20's or 30's or older, I am amazed that they tell me I was one of their favorite teachers and they loved coming to my gym 2x a week! They say they knew I cared and I was tough but fair to all the students!
It really made me feel good that the kids appreciated my actions!
Kids want structure and discipline as long as it's fairly applied!

Reaction Score
My wife and I do workshops basically aimed at foster kids, where the so-called adult success rate is about 4% and for those who go on to higher education, the drop outvrate is over 90%. The main emphasis is that the kids need to be taught to develop "grit" which means the ability to stick with something through adversity, knowing that success typically is not immediate.

Of course it's more than just that and foster kids there a lot of other issues beyond the usual maturation issues. But the broader point is applicable to all kids. It is definitely an instant gratification, short attention span world now. And the social media absolutely works against developing independence and self-reliance.

Is the issue identified for women hoopsrers any different from
male hoopstets? How much greater is the drop out or transfer rate than within the overall student population? Do kids in general call home more? When I went to UConn decades ago, it had a reputation as a suitcase school, kids often heading home for the weekend, something I rarely did even though I had a close relationship with my family. Called home maybe once a week and valued the social life at school. So a lot of students even in the 1960s stayed pretty tied to mom and dad.
So your point on Instant Gratification---is??? Is it the parent, lack of parent (because loads with or with out them want "it" NOW), Society, School, you, me, --what fosters the idea--what makes the idea a demand?
I can go back a number of generations and many of those, especially the girls, were tied to the home and family. My Dad, used and (by todays mentality) abused--jumped when his father told him to --nearly to the death of his father--and honored his mom. Family as we know it --isn't anywhere near what it was----
The son of a Federal Judge--back 30 years ago--from a tiny tot --learned to control his mom --when she went out --she had to bring him a "prize or she had to put up with a tantrum--the Judge put up with this --and went off ever work day to send all kinds of people to jail. They lived across the hall from us in a PR Condo. Go figure.

Reaction Score
I taught Elementary Physical Education from 1970 to 2000. The first 3 years in MO and the last 27 in East Lyme, CT. I was also the HS Wrestling coach and I "coached" Physical Education, I didn't teach it!
I was as tough and hard-nose as any teacher in the system! I rarely smiled during classes and geared my classes to teaching them varied activities with emphasis on student safety. I came down the hardest on those that did something without thinking that wound up hurting another student!
A day or two before the last day, classes came by to say goodbye and they always had questions to ask me, the best one, was a 4th grade class asked me if I had any teeth? I taught them through Kindergarten 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades and they never saw me smile once! I showed them my teeth and explained that in 27 years in East Lyme I had 2 kids get hurt, one girl was doing pushups slipped and chipped a tooth on the floor, and the other was a girl who tripped going over a low hurdle and landed wrong breaking her wrist! I asked them if they remembered seeing a student in class or on the playground doing something stupid that hurt themselves or another student and they all shook their heads yes, telling me what they saw.
I said I felt I had an obligation to send them home as they came to school that morning, on their feet!
When I see kids I taught back then and are in their 20's or 30's or older, I am amazed that they tell me I was one of their favorite teachers and they loved coming to my gym 2x a week! They say they knew I cared and I was tough but fair to all the students!
It really made me feel good that the kids appreciated my actions!
Kids want structure and discipline as long as it's fairly applied!

You sure tickled my heart strings---Nice story---I hardly know you and --you are my favorite poster.
You have H.E.A.R.T. !!!! ( I think I heard that from a DAMN Yankee) THANK YOU RSHERM!! \

I started out wanting to be an Elementary School teacher--they are tougher than I thought--HS kids are wise crackers--generally they can be handled without tears--

Reaction Score
From my post above, you can see that I don't dispute some of the broad characterizations of this generation.

But let's remember that this very board is part of the problem. We focus on teenagers (even commenting on 9th graders), following their twitter accounts, worrying over which potential college comes first on their tweets or what college t-shirt they're wearing that day, etc. etc. And then we, as does the rest of society, lionize the college players well beyond their actual social importance. Kids used to grow up pretty much unobserved, and yes, we are right to say that they are now self-conscience and self-promoting. But aren't we all participating in making that so?

Why must I always have something to say on your intelligent logical postings. If you read not reed the By this past spring and nearly up to current time---most hardly breathed for fear of losing Walker--Now Sam B and Collier are the new gods (lower case god) gift to WBB. And all of which you write is on target---I just wondered--
--isn't this just a progression to flash to the digital world--our hs, college hero (as minor as they maybe) get their name and faces in every kind of media making them to be emulated , sought after, compared to them Ike was a pike-er.
This is not a COMMENT more of a question for your knowledge and intellect to be used
]
I don't dispute the belief the characteristics attributed to "this" generation is generally believed. Much of what you say is accurate--but as much as we may not like it--they didn't create it. I have a dozen theories on this --none of which I'll separate from my debilitated brain. You must remember some theologians say: God created Man, Women, Children in His/Her image That has long reaching implications.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom