UH, OH... SI's prediction of where the unsigned top recruits will sign has no UCONN... including Cardosa | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UH, OH... SI's prediction of where the unsigned top recruits will sign has no UCONN... including Cardosa

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many continue to repeat the meme that "UConn isn't for everyone." Well, it is for many who want to win national championships. Just don't understand why so many great players give UConn a pass. It's not as if they don't want to be challenged.

And let's not delude ourselves that the players who have committed elsewhere weren't desired by Coach Geno. He has made very clear that he's had a couple of poor recruiting years. Yes, he's bulked up at guard and small forward. But we're still dependent on one true center, which is a vulnerability.
Let's admit where we are, and not sugarcoat it.
We could really use a Cardosa, and if she goes elsewhere, it is their gain and our loss.
UCONN isn't for everyone has been a long established. Don't see a "couple" of poor recruiting years and don't remember Geno admitting to this. How is this for not sugar coating it: If Cardosa wants to come to UCONN she still can. If she chooses not to come to UCONN that's even more proof that " UCONN isn't for everyone".

Reaction Score
Per ESPN, “Cardosa still needs a test score to become eligible to play on the big stage.”

Yes, I saw that. But from that one fact numerous individuals have concluded, without any additional evidence, that this is a huge "red flag" for Geno and "explains" UConn's loss of interest in Cardosa. Without any evidence. Call me crazy, but that sounds a lot like speculation to me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, I saw that. But from that one fact numerous individuals have concluded, without any additional evidence, that this is a huge "red flag" for Geno and "explains" UConn's loss of interest in Cardosa. Without any evidence. Call me crazy, but that sounds a lot like speculation to me.
As was previously stated by @oldude being "not eligible" in October of your Senior year, a month away from being able to sign a NLI is definitely a red flag. I agree with @oldude and don't think the speculation is any worst than some I've seen here on the BY.
I bet you $50 Piath Gabriel is eligible.

Reaction Score
I shouldn’t be surprised at this point, but I’m continually amazed at how many BYers claim to know what our coaching staff thinks. As an example all this “knowing” of a supposed “red flag” about the recruiting of a player based on nothing more than speculation.
Um. Geno is probably the most straightforward coach ever so if you listen to him speak, he tells you what is important. Through the years I have heard the coaches stress how important academics are, the intelligence of their players, graduation rates, and how successful adults they become so if a recruit has academic challenges then that is a red flag. It's amazing what a boneyarder can learn by just listening.

Reaction Score
Isn’t ND eliminated from the Clark sweepstakes?

Where did you hear ND was out of the running for Clark? Had to ask because I've been reading a lot of rumors on Clark. The Iowa boards are saying ND withdrew their offer but had no source. I've seen other rumors floating around that their chances have dimmed. She still has her OV at ND scheduled for Saturday as far as I know.

Reaction Score
Who knows? She took an unoffiicial trip to ND in June and then announced later in the summer that the Irish were one of her final three teams, along with Iowa and Iowa State.

Word then got out that she was scheduled to take an official visit (OV) to South Bend this upcoming weekend (Oct. 11-13), along with Maddy Westbeld and Irish verbal commit Alli Campbell. A report came out a week or so back that she might not take that trip, leading to serious heartburn on The Bench, but nothing further has surfaced.

The Clark household is pretty tight on "information out" and if you read that Olson snippet on her, it's pretty close to the vest, exploring why the Irish would be a good fit, but hedging bets that Caitlin is close to family and she might want to stay close.

I think Olson's take on her basketball fit with ND is right and tight, and Dowling Catholic HS sends a lot of grads to ND, as well. ND is in NW Indiana and Route 80 can get one to/from Iowa relatively quickly.

For this Irish fan, I just hope to see her take the OV and then what happens, happens. Of couse, will cross fingers and think good thoughts. ;) Stay tuned.

p.s. On top of that Maddy Westbeld is headed out to South Bend, finishing up a frenetic last month of OVs. Notre Dame is the last of her finalists (UCLA, Tenn., Louisville, Ohio State) to visit and we're hoping the fifth one is a charm. With Westbeld, we're hoping that she's very much cut from the same cloth as older sister Kat.

Some people over at the Iowa boards seem to think ND withdrew their offer to Clark. I think it's all BS they don't have a source. I agree ND isn't far from Iowa, I hope that distance isn't the deciding factor.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
This is the quote: "I'm wide open in my decision," she said. "No one leads. But my plan is to play professionally."

If you go back and look through all Hailey Van Lith's recruiting since early February, 2019, Hailey Van Lith has been completely silent. I'm going to choose to remain optimistic until I see verification that Hailey Van Lith has eliminated any of the 8 schools she had on her list.

Remember when Sabrina just "showed up" at the University of Oregon campus, shortly before school started and told Coach Graves she was going to UO?

I really don't think Ionescu is a good analogy, since everyone knew that Oregon was one of her 2 (maybe 3) finalists, but had no clue what school she would finally choose.

On the other hand, despite Olson's reputation and (presumably) inside information, it's difficult for me to imagine that Oregon really belongs on her list of finalists. I'm hardly an insider, but there has very little talk in Eugene about Van Lith and Oregon throughout the past year: Clark and Oregon, for sure, until she eliminated the Ducks, but not Van Lith. And with the addition of Shelley this year, Scher and PaoPao next fall, and Bigsby the year after, I'm not sure why Graves would want another guard, who, as good as she is, doesn't seem to me a substantial upgrade, if any. (I believe that Scher, for one, has a higher ceiling.) That's why I wonder if Olson meant to say Oregon State, not Oregon, and didn't catch the error.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for allowing me to paraphrase my favorite movie line from Casablanca. “I’m shocked, shocked to find there’s speculation going on in the Boneyard.”

Yes, it is speculation. But I also believe it’s speculation based on information:

- Clearly, UConn’s coaching staff spent time recruiting Cardosa, visiting her and watching her play.
- Also as clear, UConn needs Bigs and would go hard after Cardosa based on her skill set
- UConn was a school that Cardosa was interested in up until recently.
- Per ESPN, Cardosa has not yet qualified for a scholarship.
- Per Cardosa’s HS Coach, she’s not planning to visit UConn.
- Just about the same time UConn and Cardosa lost interest in each other Piath Gabriel showed up on campus without ever once being mentioned as a UConn recruit, and one day after her visit she committed to the Huskies.

I think it’s fair to assume that something occurred that soured the recruiting relationship between UConn and Cardosa. Considering that Cardosa has yet to qualify for a scholarship, I would think that she would very much want to keep open every conceivable opportunity, assuming that she does eventually qualify. At the same time, UConn has 4 commitments from players who do qualify next year, including from two who’s native language is not English.

We are most definitely speculating on much of this. But this is the Boneyard. It’s what we do around here.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for allowing me to paraphrase my favorite movie line from Casablanca. “I’m shocked, shocked to find there’s speculation going on in the Boneyard.”

Yes, it is speculation. But I also believe it’s speculation based on information:

- Clearly, UConn’s coaching staff spent time recruiting Cardosa, visiting her and watching her play.
- Also as clear, UConn needs Bigs and would go hard after Cardosa based on her skill set
- Just about the same time UConn and Cardosa lost interest in each other Piath Gabriel showed up on campus without ever once being mentioned as a UConn recruit, and one day after her visit she committed to the Huskies.

I think it’s fair to assume that something occurred that soured the recruiting relationship between UConn and Cardosa. Considering that Cardosa has yet to qualify for a scholarship, I would think that she would very much want to keep open every conceivable opportunity, assuming that she does eventually qualify. At the same time, UConn has 4 commitments from players who do qualify next year, including from two who’s native language is not English.

We are most definitely speculating on much of this. But this is the Boneyard. It’s what we do around here.
By the way, here’s one additional bit of speculation that feeds the timeline on Cardosa. If she took the SAT’s on the August 24 test date, her scores would have been available between September 9-11.

Reaction Score

Where in your listing of information does it say that UConn lost interest in Cardosa, as opposed to Cardosa not planning to visit UConn?

Reaction Score
Um. Geno is probably the most straightforward coach ever so if you listen to him speak, he tells you what is important. Through the years I have heard the coaches stress how important academics are, the intelligence of their players, graduation rates, and how successful adults they become so if a recruit has academic challenges then that is a red flag. It's amazing what a boneyarder can learn by just listening.

As opposed to reading. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Where in your listing of information does it say that UConn lost interest in Cardosa, as opposed to Cardosa not planning to visit UConn?
As I made perfectly clear, that’s my speculation based on the information available. It’s difficult for me to believe that Cardosa would cross UConn off her list when she’s yet to receive a scholarship offer that she can actually accept from a single college.

Reaction Score
As I made perfectly clear, that’s my speculation based on the information available. It’s difficult for me to believe that Cardosa would cross UConn off her list when she’s yet to receive a scholarship offer that she can actually accept from a single college.

Sorry, I was working on your list of bullet points where you list UConn's lose of interest as information, not speculation.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Some people over at the Iowa boards seem to think ND withdrew their offer to Clark. I think it's all BS they don't have a source. I agree ND isn't far from Iowa, I hope that distance isn't the deciding factor.

I read two of those boards and the posts look remarkably similar -- short and with no attribution whatsoever. And the follow-up questions are not answered.

There is some trepidation on McGraw's Bench, as I posted above, because ND has a verbal commitment from Alasa Hayes, who is a combo guard. And Deja Kelly did visit this weekend, but Kelly -- given her penchant for noting each of her planned five OV's -- looks like she'll take her visits to Texas A&M and Duke before coming to a decision.

Once again, I'd say the proof is in the OV -- will Ms. Clark take her previously scheduled trip to ND this Friday? If not, feel free to start bets on Iowa vs. Iowa St. If she does come, stay tuned....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

UConn had known interest in Gabriel starting in July.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn had known interest in Gabriel starting in July.

“They reached out before the summer and Coach Auriemma and his assistants came out and evaluated her,” Gabriel’s high school and AAU coach Scott Hazelton said.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“They reached out before the summer and Coach Auriemma and his assistants came out and evaluated her,” Gabriel’s high school and AAU coach Scott Hazelton said.

Okay, so sooner. Interest obviously skyrocketed during the AAU period this summer.

Reaction Score
Okay, so sooner. Interest obviously skyrocketed during the AAU period this summer.

Gabriel absolutely blew up during the AAU season, reportedly she was always a great athlete but recently decided to really put the work in and dedicate herself to basketball. She has the potential to be as good as ANY Big in the 2020 class!

Reaction Score
Hard to believe that some of these kids are picking schools based on the number of pros they have generated, and they aren’t considering UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabriel absolutely blew up during the AAU season, reportedly she was always a great athlete but recently decided to really put the work in and dedicate herself to basketball. She has the potential to be as good as ANY Big in the 2020 class!
You keep saying this. What team did she play for? Nike (EYBL) or Adidas? Are there any stats or video available?
Who was her competition?

Reaction Score
You keep saying this. What team did she play for? Nike (EYBL) or Adidas? Are there any stats or video available?
Who was her competition?
Adidas I believe. Adidas is not a very good league - they got much worse after Under Armour came to existence this season and swallowed up a few of their teams.

They have Timea Gardiner and Talia von Oelhoffen, but not sure who else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom