UH, OH... SI's prediction of where the unsigned top recruits will sign has no UCONN... including Cardosa | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UH, OH... SI's prediction of where the unsigned top recruits will sign has no UCONN... including Cardosa

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don't see Edwards on that list. She's the one additional recruit I'm rooting for.

Aaliyah Edwards (Canada) would be a HUGE get for us. She is good enough to be selected to play with the USA FIBA team. For anyone that does not know who she is......

1570479208636.png

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As I noted above, the thread is titled wrong (you're shocked I'm sure). It's recruiting guru Dan Olson, NOT Sports Illustrated.
I opened the article and saw that only after commenting. Much like Mother Superior, I jumped the gun. Thanks for kindly chastising me. But I still think SI sucks! :)

Reaction Score
I still think there is at least one more coming from north of the border. ... I also wouldn't be surprised if we get a last minute shocker like ONO was.

Reaction Score
Geno isn't for everyone. CTtoSanDiego may have over looked that fact when making that observation.
As I read the article, I couldn't help but thinking that there is a reason that none of these elite recruits are interested in UConn. Perhaps UConn has not shown any interest in them. Perhaps UConn is already set at the position of that particular player. Three of the six were point guards. As previously mentioned, UConn is already set at pg for the next 5 years.

There could be other factors (tattoos, helicopter parents,) low hustle quotient (low motor), selfishness, etc. It could also be one of the more traditional reasons: campus location, prefers a female coach, long standing relationship with a recruiting coach, parental preferences, etc. as to why UConn is not on their radar. If you look a the number of players, especially freshmen entering the transfer portals recently, we see that mistakes are made every year. Highly ranked Evina Westbrook made an error in judgement that she corrected. It happens.

UConn won't recruit everyone. Its been well documented how "picky" Geno is when perusing possible recruiting targets. Considering the new fertile ground in Europe that Geno has begun to cultivate, UConn will not be left wanting for talented players that want to come to UConn, play for Geno, and that have the skills and maturity to do so. The fact that none of the players mentioned in this piece appear to be UConn bound is not alarming.

I don't understand why so many continue to repeat the meme that "UConn isn't for everyone." Well, it is for many who want to win national championships. Just don't understand why so many great players give UConn a pass. It's not as if they don't want to be challenged.

And let's not delude ourselves that the players who have committed elsewhere weren't desired by Coach Geno. He has made very clear that he's had a couple of poor recruiting years. Yes, he's bulked up at guard and small forward. But we're still dependent on one true center, which is a vulnerability.

Let's admit where we are, and not sugarcoat it.

We could really use a Cardosa, and if she goes elsewhere, it is their gain and our loss.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That would be the Canadian FIBA team

Oops, that’s right. I watched the USA - Canada game and remember she played meaningful minutes in that game. ONO was the youngest member of our team.

Reaction Score
The way that SAT & ACT scores work for scholarship athletes is that they are calculated on a sliding scale based on how well the student does on their core courses (math, science, English, history, foreign
I hope they all go to Syracuse...
Reese, Cardoso, and Priscilla Williams...now that’s a class!

Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many continue to repeat the meme that "UConn isn't for everyone."

Uhhhh .... Because it's true.

Geno & CD have a very clear way of doing things, and there will be no bending.
It works for some kids. It doesn't for others.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The one significant piece of information in this article is that Cardosa has yet to qualify for an NCAA scholarship due to a test score? SAT? ACT?

If that is correct, I can easily understand why Geno might have backed off.
Yea, that's what jumped out at me. We don't know why she has yet to qualify, but that could be some kind of flag????

Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many continue to repeat the meme that "UConn isn't for everyone." Well, it is for many who want to win national championships. Just don't understand why so many great players give UConn a pass. It's not as if they don't want to be challenged.

And let's not delude ourselves that the players who have committed elsewhere weren't desired by Coach Geno. He has made very clear that he's had a couple of poor recruiting years. Yes, he's bulked up at guard and small forward. But we're still dependent on one true center, which is a vulnerability.

Let's admit where we are, and not sugarcoat it.

We could really use a Cardosa, and if she goes elsewhere, it is their gain and our loss.
There isn’t a single school out there that’s for everyone. There have been 569 transfers from fall of 2018 to summer of 2019. UConn is far from the only school that’s not for everybody.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Speaks Portuguese, now having to learn Tennessean at her school. English might not be so good.
That's possible. But we don't really know. And if it is true that her English isn't up to snuff, that could be a flag too???

Reaction Score
SI just let go 40% of its reporting staff
I don't think it's required to take them seriously.
I'm going along with your position of not taking ESPN (or Sports Illustrated) seriously. Some poster over on the Oregon State University blog (Benny's House) has everyone freaking out because he stated ESPN is reporting that Hailey Van Lith has eliminated OSU. There is nothing in the article that states Hailey Van Lith has eliminated OSU. He doesn't include OSU in Hailey Van Lith's final list, but how does he know anything about Hailey Van Lith's final list of schools? I haven't found anywhere that it has been reported that Hailey Van Lith has eliminated any of the 8 universities she previously identified as her top 8.

Reaction Score
I'm going along with your position of not taking ESPN (or Sports Illustrated) seriously. Some poster over on the Oregon State University blog (Benny's House) has everyone freaking out because he stated ESPN is reporting that Hailey Van Lith has eliminated OSU. There is nothing in the article that states Hailey Van Lith has eliminated OSU. He doesn't include OSU in Hailey Van Lith's final list, but how does he know anything about Hailey Van Lith's final list of schools? I haven't found anywhere that it has been reported that Hailey Van Lith has eliminated any of the 8 universities she previously identified as her top 8.
He clearly was in touch with Van Lith - he even has a quote from her. OSU is most certainly out of the mix, or else they would have been mentioned.

This is Dan Olson we’re talking about -- the guy who runs the espnW/CGBR rankings...why wouldn’t he be taken seriously?

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago that the Louisville staff believed they were on the outside looking in (Baylor) for Hailey Van Lith. Maybe things have changed.

Reaction Score
He clearly was in touch with Van Lith - he even has a quote from her. OSU is most certainly out of the mix, or else they would have been mentioned.

This is Dan Olson we’re talking about -- the guy who runs the espnW/CGBR rankings...why wouldn’t he be taken seriously?

This is the quote: "I'm wide open in my decision," she said. "No one leads. But my plan is to play professionally."

If you go back and look through all Hailey Van Lith's recruiting since early February, 2019, Hailey Van Lith has been completely silent. I'm going to choose to remain optimistic until I see verification that Hailey Van Lith has eliminated any of the 8 schools she had on her list.

Remember when Sabrina just "showed up" at the University of Oregon campus, shortly before school started and told Coach Graves she was going to UO?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's possible. But we don't really know. And if it is true that her English isn't up to snuff, that could be a flag too???
As info, Hamilton Heights Christian in Chattanooga is one of a handful of private schools around the country that find talented international b-ball players looking to earn college scholarships in the US. When I lived in FL, I became very familiar with one such school, Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, FL. HHC’s girls basketball roster lists 2 players from Chattanooga, 2 from out of state and 7 international players.

These are not Elite college prep schools with high academic standards. Their mission is to bring in these kids, help them develop their game while insuring that they meet the minimum academic standards necessary to earn an athletic scholarship.

There was a lot of discussion some time back from the folks in TN that Cardosa really wanted to attend UConn. With a month to go before NLI’s are signed, if Cardosa has yet to qualify for an athletic scholarship, that has to be a red flag for UConn, and I would not be surprised if Geno backed off her recruitment.

I have great respect for anyone who moves to a foreign country and struggles to learn the language and culture. Ania, Nika and Piath all qualify in that regard, as does Cardosa. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be if I had to move to Brazil and learn Portuguese. Cardosa will very likely eventually qualify for a scholarship and I’m sure she will be a very good player for some team. But it doesn’t look like that team will be UConn.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Speaks Portuguese, now having to learn Tennessean at her school. English might not be so good.

Three years back she spoke no English, so either she is an exceptional langage learner, or .... Here's something I posted back in May, quoting Ms. Cardoso on her lack of English.

Here's the pertinent part:

"When she arrived in the U.S. in 2016, she apparently couldn't understand a word of English. "Kamilla desembarcou nos EUA em agosto de 2016. Ela lembra que o começo foi difícil, pois não sabia falar inglês. “No começo foi muito difícil pelo fato de todo mundo falar inglês e eu não entender nada do que estavam falando, mas depois eu comecei a aprender a língua aos poucos até que me adaptei. A minha maior dificuldade era realmente a comunicação com as pessoas."

Kamilla arrived in the U.S. in August of 2016. She remembers a difficult beginning, as she couldn't speak English. 'At first it was very difficult because everyone spoke English and I didn't understand a word, but later I began to learn it...and I adapted. My biggest problem was realy communicating with people.'"

Reaction Score
Yea, that's what jumped out at me. We don't know why she has yet to qualify, but that could be some kind of flag????
I would say big red flag. Geno and CD still believe education is still the most important thing so if she is academically challenged, its over.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Three years back she spoke no English, so either she is an exceptional langage learner, or .... Here's something I posted back in May, quoting Ms. Cardoso on her lack of English.

Here's the pertinent part:

"When she arrived in the U.S. in 2016, she apparently couldn't understand a word of English. "Kamilla desembarcou nos EUA em agosto de 2016. Ela lembra que o começo foi difícil, pois não sabia falar inglês. “No começo foi muito difícil pelo fato de todo mundo falar inglês e eu não entender nada do que estavam falando, mas depois eu comecei a aprender a língua aos poucos até que me adaptei. A minha maior dificuldade era realmente a comunicação com as pessoas."

Kamilla arrived in the U.S. in August of 2016. She remembers a difficult beginning, as she couldn't speak English. 'At first it was very difficult because everyone spoke English and I didn't understand a word, but later I began to learn it...and I adapted. My biggest problem was realy communicating with people.'"
on the other hand we have a guard coming who speaks english very well and comes from, comeone someone knows the answer right?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

There was no report that Cardoso was out for UConn either but apparently that's the case and Olsen knew it. He also knew that Reese had eliminated two schools.

Reaction Score
I shouldn’t be surprised at this point, but I’m continually amazed at how many BYers claim to know what our coaching staff thinks. As an example all this “knowing” of a supposed “red flag” about the recruiting of a player based on nothing more than speculation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I shouldn’t be surprised at this point, but I’m continually amazed at how many BYers claim to know what our coaching staff thinks. As an example all this “knowing” of a supposed “red flag” about the recruiting of a player based on nothing more than speculation.
Per ESPN, “Cardosa still needs a test score to become eligible to play on the big stage.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom