UH, OH... SI's prediction of where the unsigned top recruits will sign has no UCONN... including Cardosa | The Boneyard

UH, OH... SI's prediction of where the unsigned top recruits will sign has no UCONN... including Cardosa

Reaction Score
This is ESPN's the prediction of where the unsigned top 10 recruits will sign. UConn not mentioned once. Fingers crossed that maybe they are wrong about Cardosa, since I know many BoneYarders, including me, are hoping to land her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the prediction of where the unsigned top 10 recruits will sign. UConn not mentioned once. Fingers crossed that maybe they are wrong about Cardosa, since I know many BoneYarders, including me, are hoping to land her.
Thanks for this.

I was surprised Reese cancelled her trips to Tennessee and South Carolina. I thought they would be Maryland's main competition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not surprising with the predictions. Can't really argue much with any of them except to say that kids CAN change their minds. SO glad to see Tennessee shut out. Thus far Harper has not made much of a splash. At least Warlick could say she was landing a plethora of top talent.

The fact that Tennessee native Cardosa isn't even considering UTenn at this point is troubling, but maybe Harper is too new to get in on her at this point.

Geno needs some bigs from 2020 and/or 2021. Never thought we were really in the mix for Cardosa. I am guessing she and Treasure Hunt go to the same school. While I love that we landed Gabriel, I'm not convinced she has the potential to be elite. We will see tho... She's new to the sport and raw. Can't teach height or athleticism...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is the prediction of where the unsigned top 10 recruits will sign. UConn not mentioned once. Fingers crossed that maybe they are wrong about Cardosa, since I know many BoneYarders, including me, are hoping to land her.

See other thread on Cardosa. Not visiting = not signing with UConn.

Reaction Score

Cardosa is NOT going to UConn, she is NOT visiting UConn, there is NO mutual interest.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Not surprising with the predictions. Can't really argue much with any of them except to say that kids CAN change their minds.

I agree with @EricLA .

As an aside, the article references and discusses six of espnW's top ten players. Three of the six are point guards. And UConn already has the #1 player in the 2020 class -- Paige Bueckers -- who also happens to be the #1 point guard.

While it is not uncommon for players at the same position in the same class to commit to the same school, UConn also has a commitment from Nika Muhl, the point guard from Croatia. So not seeing UConn's name with a number of players in the article did not come as a surprise to me.

Reaction Score
While Geno isn't for everyone, he must be for someone. It appears the writer thinks Miss St will get many of those listed. Geno has international exposure as a winner something other coaches, except Dawn, don't have much. Brazil, or if you insist Brasil, has a population of individual thinkers but who are deeply religious. On that ground Geno firmly stands. His success with Catholic School players has been extraordinary and if recent recruits tell the tales then he has success in that arena too.
Before we bury Uconn or any specific player along with them let us wait until the ballots are in and the player we desire has made the big move.

Reaction Score
Cardosa is the only player in that group that I'd be concerned about losing..................I expect UConn to get bigger with the 2021 class..........

Reaction Score
This has been the most strange recruiting class that I’ve seen in quite some time.

Reese talks about winning a championship and going to the W but is considering Syracuse and Southern Cal:confused:..... she also wants to play in the Wing but the only schools that offered that opportunity are no longer being considered. Good luck to her I guess.

Isn’t ND eliminated from the Clark sweepstakes?

Miss St is out of scholarships and currently have 3 underclassmen Centers on their squad. Should Cardosa really still be considering them? Are these recruits paying attention to these young ladies being ran off to make room for more talented ones?

I really like SC chances with Diamond Johnson. She reminds me of BCM and being from philly should help Dawn. But like I said this is an interesting class to say the least so anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Uhh, why does the title say SI ?

I wasn't even go to read it, since SI knows little about WCBB, and what little they did know probably got cut during the layoffs last week.

But Dan Olson .... much different story.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While Geno isn't for everyone, he must be for someone. It appears the writer thinks Miss St will get many of those listed. Geno has international exposure as a winner something other coaches, except Dawn, don't have much. Brazil, or if you insist Brasil, has a population of individual thinkers but who are deeply religious. On that ground Geno firmly stands. His success with Catholic School players has been extraordinary and if recent recruits tell the tales then he has success in that arena too. Before we bury Uconn or any specific player along with them let us wait until the ballots are in and the player we desire has made the big move.

Geno isn't for everyone. CTtoSanDiego may have over looked that fact when making that observation.
As I read the article, I couldn't help but thinking that there is a reason that none of these elite recruits are interested in UConn. Perhaps UConn has not shown any interest in them. Perhaps UConn is already set at the position of that particular player. Three of the six were point guards. As previously mentioned, UConn is already set at pg for the next 5 years.

There could be other factors (tattoos, helicopter parents,) low hustle quotient (low motor), selfishness, etc. It could also be one of the more traditional reasons: campus location, prefers a female coach, long standing relationship with a recruiting coach, parental preferences, etc. as to why UConn is not on their radar. If you look a the number of players, especially freshmen entering the transfer portals recently, we see that mistakes are made every year. Highly ranked Evina Westbrook made an error in judgement that she corrected. It happens.

UConn won't recruit everyone. Its been well documented how "picky" Geno is when perusing possible recruiting targets. Considering the new fertile ground in Europe that Geno has begun to cultivate, UConn will not be left wanting for talented players that want to come to UConn, play for Geno, and that have the skills and maturity to do so. The fact that none of the players mentioned in this piece appear to be UConn bound is not alarming.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This has been the most strange recruiting class that I’ve seen in quite some time.

Reese talks about winning a championship and going to the W but is considering Syracuse and Southern Cal:confused:..... she also wants to play in the Wing but the only schools that offered that opportunity are no longer being considered. Good luck to her I guess.

Miss St is out of scholarships and currently have 3 underclassmen Centers on their squad. Should Cardosa really still be considering them? Are these recruits paying attention to these young ladies being ran off to make room for more talented ones?

I really like SC chances with Diamond Johnson. She reminds me of BCM and being from philly should help Dawn. But like I said this is an interesting class to say the least so anything can happen.

All great points. ;)

Reaction Score

I love Diamond Johnson. Maryland was looking at her once and have had tremendous success in Pennsylvania (Thomas, SWK, Harper, Pfirman) but Maryland tend to like tall PGs and already have a ton of players on the team who can play PG.

Reaction Score

I wouldn’t count on Promise Taylor ever seeing the floor, she may be forced to medically retire soon. Not sure she’ll be able to return to the level of play the SEC requires. Cooks is more of a stretch-forward than a center, and she shoots the three ball over 40%.

I would love to see Johnson at SC. Deceptively super quick, solid from deep, and fun to watch. I think she may be a little overrated by HoopGurlz, but a terrific talent who would develop really well, especially under Dawn. Not a ton of competition with Rutgers, NC State, Virginia, and Boston College as her finalists. She would allow Cooke to play the two, and I think she’ll thrive in a scorer’s role.

It sounded like Clark wasn’t giving out any info to ESPN, I was shocked they got a peep out of Van Lith.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think SI should concentrate on swimsuits and just leave sports alone. They have strayed so far from their original purpose. And the latest round of massive layoffs will not improve coverage in the WCBB arena. Very few predictions about high school kids are accurate anyway. I am willing to wait and see who shows up at UConn their freshman year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think SI should concentrate on swimsuits and just leave sports alone. They have strayed so far from their original purpose. And the latest round of massive layoffs will not improve coverage in the WCBB arena. Very few predictions about high school kids are accurate anyway. I am willing to wait and see who shows up at UConn their freshman year.

Be careful. You may give them an idea. WNBA ' Swimsuit Analysis'

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
SI just let go 40% of its reporting staff
I don't think it's required to take them seriously.

Reaction Score

SI just let go 40% of its reporting staff
I don't think it's required to take them seriously.

As I noted above, the thread is titled wrong (you're shocked I'm sure). It's recruiting guru Dan Olson, NOT Sports Illustrated.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t count on Promise Taylor ever seeing the floor, she may be forced to medically retire soon. Not sure she’ll be able to return to the level of play the SEC requires. Cooks is more of a stretch-forward than a center, and she shoots the three ball over 40%.

I would love to see Johnson at SC. Deceptively super quick, solid from deep, and fun to watch. I think she may be a little overrated by HoopGurlz, but a terrific talent who would develop really well, especially under Dawn. Not a ton of competition with Rutgers, NC State, Virginia, and Boston College as her finalists. She would allow Cooke to play the two, and I think she’ll thrive in a scorer’s role.

It sounded like Clark wasn’t giving out any info to ESPN, I was shocked they got a peep out of Van Lith.

It is not easy to come back from any type of foot injuries. Vic stated that she’s practicing but not a full practice. I think she plays even if it’s sparingly. He said she’s their best low post player and I believe it. Cooks is listed as a Forward/Center on the roster. I too think she’s a four but I suspect Vic will use her as a five for her three point shooting. I still think Cardosa should consider a team with less of a post jam. She and Boston would be a terrific 1-2 punch at the 5. I could even see them playing together high/low.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one significant piece of information in this article is that Cardosa has yet to qualify for an NCAA scholarship due to a test score? SAT? ACT?

If that is correct, I can easily understand why Geno might have backed off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
More on the test score issue. Neither the SAT’s or the ACT’s are administered in a foreign language. While students with diagnosed learning disabilities such as ADHD can request and receive extra time to complete the tests, there is no such accommodation for students whose primary language is not English.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Who knows? She took an unoffiicial trip to ND in June and then announced later in the summer that the Irish were one of her final three teams, along with Iowa and Iowa State.

Word then got out that she was scheduled to take an official visit (OV) to South Bend this upcoming weekend (Oct. 11-13), along with Maddy Westbeld and Irish verbal commit Alli Campbell. A report came out a week or so back that she might not take that trip, leading to serious heartburn on The Bench, but nothing further has surfaced.

The Clark household is pretty tight on "information out" and if you read that Olson snippet on her, it's pretty close to the vest, exploring why the Irish would be a good fit, but hedging bets that Caitlin is close to family and she might want to stay close.

I think Olson's take on her basketball fit with ND is right and tight, and Dowling Catholic HS sends a lot of grads to ND, as well. ND is in NW Indiana and Route 80 can get one to/from Iowa relatively quickly.

For this Irish fan, I just hope to see her take the OV and then what happens, happens. Of couse, will cross fingers and think good thoughts. ;) Stay tuned.

p.s. On top of that Maddy Westbeld is headed out to South Bend, finishing up a frenetic last month of OVs. Notre Dame is the last of her finalists (UCLA, Tenn., Louisville, Ohio State) to visit and we're hoping the fifth one is a charm. With Westbeld, we're hoping that she's very much cut from the same cloth as older sister Kat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More on the test score issue. Neither the SAT’s or the ACT’s are administered in a foreign language. While students with diagnosed learning disabilities such as ADHD can request and receive extra time to complete the tests, there is no such accommodation for students whose primary language is not English.
Interesting. I know Esmery Martinez spoke very little English (to the point where a translator accompanied her on her visit to MSU), but obviously she managed to qualify. It’ll be interesting to watch down the stretch.

I think Vic knew he needed a big and there were simply too many question marks around Cardoso to risk not offering Piath, who isn’t as good as Cardoso, but still has a very high ceiling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting. I know Esmery Martinez spoke very little English (to the point where a translator accompanied her on her visit to MSU), but obviously she managed to qualify. It’ll be interesting to watch down the stretch.

I think Vic knew he needed a big and there were simply too many question marks around Cardoso to risk not offering Piath, who isn’t as good as Cardoso, but still has a very high ceiling.
The way that SAT & ACT scores work for scholarship athletes is that they are calculated on a sliding scale based on how well the student does on their core courses (math, science, English, history, foreign language, etc.). The NCAA requires a minimum number of core courses and at least a 2.3 GPA for those core courses for a high school student to be eligible for an athletic scholarship. The higher the student’s GPA, the lower their test scores can be while still earning a scholarship. Apparently Ania, Nika and Piath had no problem qualifying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom