Uconn's time may be near.... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Uconn's time may be near....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You routinely post about your dream eastern conference.

yup and none of them involve a bball league o wake/duke/cuse/pitt/bc. all of my fun posts have us with the floridas, wvus, tosus o the world in nuty things. you need to realize what i'm talking about in the post before. its either sell our sole to a couple regional teams that we at one time considered rivals and never become more than what we are now as a fball program, or go for it(which is why we upgraded to one day have our ball like our bball) and be one o the corners of a new national conf that can be 5th best and in the convo or a bid.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It depends on the Tier 3 for basketball in the ACC deal. There have been conflicting reports from ACC people.

The paranoia coming from the helmet heads is similar to that on this board when discussing the BE Conference and the Providence mafia. You won't convince FSU Football that Duke and UNC don't skim the contract and are building a Fort Knox at their expense. Everyone knows Swofford is a Duke and UNC droid planted in the ACC offices to destroy ACC football. How else do you explain SU, BC and Pitt?

Now there's the rumor that no one's ever seen an ACC media contract. The office signs them and keeps them which is further proof that Duke and UNC are getting preferential treatment.

Reaction Score
Or maybe the networks are dialing back on the money now, shown by the ACC deal. We cannot attract better teams than what the current ACC has, and the BE starts negotiating with ESPN in September. Sorry, anyone who thinks this current BE mongrel is better than the ACC without hypothetically FSU and Clemson, is out of their mind.
Don't have to be better than the ACC, just get someone to bid more. ACC is negotiating with ESPN only re the new additions. BE will be negotiating with whoever wants in. Interesting what "give me you highest and best offer" gets you when there are legit bidders involved. Look at the Dodgers.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Note that ESPN is positioning itself for Friday Football with the ACC.

The ACC contract may suck because it has to suck. There is little national draw there in football. They can't compete on Saturday except for a handful of 1:00 games.

There's no getting around one fact: a contract with a 6% yearly escalator pales compared to the BiG payouts which are in the $23 mil range per school in year 2012. That's half as much.

Don't be surprised if the BE is structured like the ACC with a starting figure around $7 million and a 6% escalator over 12 years topping out around $14 mil and averaging around $10 mil for UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Im supposed to believe that the state of Florida has a public institution enter into media contacts that it hasn't seen.....

Doesn't even two seconds of thought make these rumors so absurd they cant spread?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the ACC deal is bad, I can assure you that the Big East's deal will freakin suck ballz.
we have a different footprint, possibly more inventory, and we'll see how NBC/fox values it. We might get more than the ACC per fb school, but I bet it won't be a ton more. (my wild guess)

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
yup and none of them involve a bball league o wake/duke/cuse/pitt/bc. all of my fun posts have us with the floridas, wvus, tosus o the world in nuty things. you need to realize what i'm talking about in the post before. its either sell our sole to a couple regional teams that we at one time considered rivals and never become more than what we are now as a fball program, or go for it(which is why we upgraded to one day have our ball like our bball) and be one o the corners of a new national conf that can be 5th best and in the convo or a bid.
I guess we just don't agree on the importance of local rivalries. The best games on a schedule, pro or amateur, are rivalry games. I want to be in a conference with teams like Syracuse, Duke, UNC, BC, Rutgers because those are games I am going to care about.
Your suggestion that the NBE can push us to greater heights than a conference based on geography and local rivalries (what the ACC could look like if FSU and Miami or Clemson leave), is laughable. The ACC has national brands with history and academic prowess. Those are schools I want UConn to be associated with. Those are games I will care about. I go every UConn Football game and almost every basketball home game, and the idea of us playing against teams like UCF, USF, Memphis, etc. really don't excite me the way seeing some of those ACC names would.

Now obviously I want us in B1G if that's possible, but it doesn't seem as likely as an eventual move to the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the ACC deal is bad, I can assure you that the Big East's deal will freakin suck ballz.

The fact that a post this stupid got 3 "likes" says something about this board. A contract that locks FSU into about $5MM a year less than Iowa State is a bad contract.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The ACC has national brands with history and academic prowess.

Not that it invalidates the rest of your argument, but can we all begin to agree that academics has absolutely ZERO to do with conference realignment?!? I mean, even the FSU Chair of the Board went on record to say who gives a $#it about the academics of the other schools in our conference! This is about money; plain and simple. FSU would put themselves in a conference with 11 community colleges if it believed that it would get 50 million per year...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not that it invalidates the rest of your argument, but can we all begin to agree that academics has absolutely ZERO to do with conference realignment?!? I mean, even the FSU Chair of the Board went on record to say who gives a $#it about the academics of the other schools in our conference! This is about money; plain and simple. FSU would put themselves in a conference with 11 community colleges if it believed that it would get 50 million per year...

UConn is in that spot without the 50 million.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn is in that spot without the 50 million.

Ouch! Is your goal in life to drive me to drink?? Well, in the immortal words of GW, "Mission accomplished!" ;)

Reaction Score
I don't know this for a fact, just know I've read it somewhere, but don't schools get a LARGE portion of their money from research grants? Isn't that why Pres Herbst wants to build that industrial park on campus? I know that we throw around big numbers with tv contracts, but I'm pretty sure that is a small portion of what a school takes in any given year. (I really what I read was a hope it was an article and not something on here or I'll feel like an idiot).
So, in a respect, I do think that academics still matter, but with a school like FSU running a deficit, I could see them straying from their academic mission to ensure they can balance their budgets.
If I'm wrong on this I'm sure someone will point it out.

Reaction Score
The fact that a post this stupid got 3 "likes" says something about this board. A contract that locks FSU into about $5MM a year less than Iowa State is a bad contract.
I really wonder what it feels like being such an internet tough guy. Someone has an idea contrary to yours, and you jump all over them. There's a decent and respectful way to go about having differences of opinion, you clearly were not taught that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really wonder what it feels like being such an internet tough guy. Someone has an idea contrary to yours, and you jump all over them. There's a decent and respectful way to go about having differences of opinion, you clearly were not taught that.

Doesn't that work both ways?

Jaxhusky, who is a pretty good poster most of the time, makes a drive by post that is not only a non sequitor, but also an insult most of the posters participating in a pretty interesting thread. Not only that, but a couple of other posters have already made the same obnoxious point. It was not only a condescending post by Jax, but also factually incorrect.

I completely agree that there is a decent and respectful way to go about having differences of opinion, so when a poster takes a cheap shot at me and others on the board, i will respond.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that work both ways?

Jaxhusky, who is a pretty good poster most of the time, makes a drive by post that is not only a non sequitor, but also an insult most of the posters participating in a pretty interesting thread. Not only that, but a couple of other posters have already made the same obnoxious point. It was not only a condescending post by Jax, but also factually incorrect.

I completely agree that there is a decent and respectful way to go about having differences of opinion, so when a poster takes a cheap shot at me and others on the board, i will respond.
How was his statement factually incorrect if there were no facts in the statement? We don't know what the Big East deal is going to be, and he gave an opinion that I assume is contrary to yours.
We're on a message board for fans of UConn, we're all on the same side here, don't take someone's opinion as a personal slight at you.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't know this for a fact, just know I've read it somewhere, but don't schools get a LARGE portion of their money from research grants? Isn't that why Pres Herbst wants to build that industrial park on campus? I know that we throw around big numbers with tv contracts, but I'm pretty sure that is a small portion of what a school takes in any given year. (I really what I read was a hope it was an article and not something on here or I'll feel like an idiot).
So, in a respect, I do think that academics still matter, but with a school like FSU running a deficit, I could see them straying from their academic mission to ensure they can balance their budgets.
If I'm wrong on this I'm sure someone will point it out.

It's true that research dollars are big portions of a school's budget. But I can say with some certainty that the reputation of another school in your athletic conference will not gain you any more research dollars than you already gain on your own. Much of this false ideology has stemmed from the Big10 and their indication that they would like all of their schools to be AAU universities. However, I'm not sure if that's true (I'm not sure if Nebraska is an AAU), and I'm also pretty sure that ESPN doesn't care if you are an AAU school when they structure your contract. They care if you can put butts in the seats and eyeballs on the tv screen. That's what this "tv weapons race" is all about...

Reaction Score
It's true that research dollars are big portions of a school's budget. But I can say with some certainty that the reputation of another school in your athletic conference will not gain you any more research dollars than you already gain on your own. Much of this false ideology has stemmed from the Big10 and their indication that they would like all of their schools to be AAU universities. However, I'm not sure if that's true (I'm not sure if Nebraska is an AAU), and I'm also pretty sure that ESPN doesn't care if you are an AAU school when they structure your contract. They care if you can put butts in the seats and eyeballs on the tv screen. That's what this "tv weapons race" is all about...
Your last two sentences go more to what I was getting at before. I think that games against regional rivals (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers) would sell more tickets and have more people watching than UConn vs NNBE

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I guess we just don't agree on the importance of local rivalries. The best games on a schedule, pro or amateur, are rivalry games. I want to be in a conference with teams like Syracuse, Duke, UNC, BC, Rutgers because those are games I am going to care about.
Your suggestion that the NBE can push us to greater heights than a conference based on geography and local rivalries (what the ACC could look like if FSU and Miami or Clemson leave), is laughable. The ACC has national brands with history and academic prowess. Those are schools I want UConn to be associated with. Those are games I will care about. I go every UConn Football game and almost every basketball home game, and the idea of us playing against teams like UCF, USF, Memphis, etc. really don't excite me the way seeing some of those ACC names would.

Now obviously I want us in B1G if that's possible, but it doesn't seem as likely as an eventual move to the ACC.

i havle rutgers as a rival. unc i would also. i hate bc more than the next guy, but beating them after the first time or 2 will get old quick. look at cuse, these programs are washed up and the college landscape just doesn't fit private schools in the longrun. i'm fine playing them ooc in any sport. i get that ppl like the local rivals thing. i want uconns rivals to be psu/wvu/md/ruty/umass/uva/unc. those schools have futures.

we think alike with the BiG.

to me on a national stage, usf/uc/uh/memphis/bsu name wise ppl will be more interested a couple years from now then if u said cuse or bc. no one outside of the northeast cares about those 2 schools and even in the northeast they will think its a bball or puck game if its a late season game. thats not the identity i want to see. we invested to be a big time program. so lets get there no matter the bumps in the road. playing in a league of east coast schools stunts our growth imo.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i gave u a like:eek:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Baylor's 247 site is claiming 10 schools have approached the Big 12 about membership, only 1 of which is from the Big East.

Reaction Score
Your last two sentences go more to what I was getting at before. I think that games against regional rivals (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers) would sell more tickets and have more people watching than UConn vs NNBE
I think you are onto something about those matchups AJC. If you peer out into the distance far enough, at some point what is old will become new again, and you willl see conferences shift its membership "back" to regional rivalries. I think BC is an excellent example of how selling out has just completely destroyed their athletic franchise. They have absolutely marginalized themselves in Boston (as if doing it any further was possible, but they somehow have managed!), no one cares about Wake/BC, or Clemson/BC, or G. Tech/BC or even BC/Duke for that matter. But if you have BC/Cuse and BC/CT, now you are talking about eyeballs and fannies in the seats and an ability to penetrate a very populous viewing public in the Northeast. How long will it take for things like the Nebraska/OU and Texas/Texas AM rivalries to be able to command so much money that they perhaps can make more money together, than separately?

But that is getting about 20 years ahead, watching the ACC starting to get their comeuppance is just such a guilty pleasure.

Reaction Score
Baylor's 247 site is claiming 10 schools have approached the Big 12 about membership, only 1 of which is from the Big East.

only 1 of which is from the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that right there tells you all you need to know about how credible the Baylor 247 report is. What FB school in the BE is NOT interested in any conference that they can even have a slim chance of getting into?

Can anyone make a serious argument that ONLY ONE of Boise, Ville, Cincy, USF, Houston, Memphis or SMU is interested in the Big 12? Come on people, use your common sense when you read stuff on the internet and ask sensible questions before you buy what some snake oil salesman is selling as an add on to land east of Miami Beach.

Reaction Score
only 1 of which is from the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that right there tells you all you need to know about how credible the Baylor 247 report is. What FB school in the BE is NOT interested in any conference that they can even have a slim chance of getting into?

Can anyone make a serious argument that ONLY ONE of Boise, Ville, Cincy, USF, Houston, Memphis or SMU is interested in the Big 12? Come on people, use your common sense when you read stuff on the internet and ask sensible questions before you buy what some snake oil salesman is selling as an add on to land east of Miami Beach.

maybe the other school officials had off for mothers day and are putting their calls in today :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom