Uconn's time may be near.... | The Boneyard

Uconn's time may be near....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why should we assume that the acc would add 2 teams if they lose 2? they would still have 12 teams and a championship game. Is there something in the tv contract that requires 14 teams?

I heard the acc adding cuse and pitt was a preemptive strike to other conferences stealing away acc teams by expanding. losing fsu and clemson would put the acc right where they were planning to be.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
why should we assume that the acc would add 2 teams if they lose 2? they would still have 12 teams and a championship game. Is there something in the tv contract that requires 14 teams?

I heard the acc adding cuse and pitt was a preemptive strike to other conferences stealing away acc teams by expanding. losing fsu and clemson would put the acc right where they were planning to be.

I guess that is a good point, but I would think it would open up the opportunity for them to "take the NYC market" entirely with the additions of Rutty and UConn. I guess they could stay at 12, but I do suppose the TV contract would be re-evaluated with the losses of 2 big names/fanbases in football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Their TV partner would lose a lot of eyeballs and the schools might lose a couple million each due to the loss of inventory.

There are no sure things when it comes to this stage of realignment, just the opinions and reactions of the people involved.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Again it depends how this plays out... Does the SEC want to expand anymore or not, if they do are they going to let two prime candidates walk... or does everyone just go to 12 and stop for a while. I'm telling you what hurt the UConn and probably the Big East the most is the PAC-12 getting cold feet and not expanding to 16. PAC-16 means the Big East grabs up the remaining Big 12 members (Kansas, Kansas State, etc) and UConn possibly gets grabbed up by one of the other conferences in the race to 16. Tweleve is now the status quo and I'm sure now the push will be for a 4 team playoff with the Big 12, Big-10, PAC-12, and SEC getting preference. Tweleve team conferences are probably the worst case scenario for UConn.... The Big East and the ACC just become second tier stand ins for years where the big 4 have a down team.

Reaction Score
lets keep in mind that we're hearing in may about a supposed june/july announcement. IIRC all of the previous moves were announced as they happened. if the B12 decides to invite those teams we'll hear about it immediately, not at a prearranged press conference. i also doubt that the people on a Baylor message board know any more about this than people on any other message board.

i also don't think the ACC will add anyone unless they think they're going to lose more than 2 teams. i think they're happy at 12, and added Cuse and Pitt preemptively

pj

Reaction Score
If ACC teams are in play then look for the SEC to try to enter North Carolina and Virginia and grab schools in those states. Football wise a conference of Miami, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Duke, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, UVa, and one of the North Carolina schools isn't going to be considered competitive with the big 4 conferences, with or without UConn and Rutgers. But it would be a great fit for UConn, a conference with major media markets that would generate revenue and one we could have a fighting chance to win year in and year out.

Reaction Score
I'd rather be in the new version of the Big East than the ACC version without FSU & Clemson. If that ever were to happen......you don't think VT and the upper crust of the ACC would be looking elsewhere?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'd rather be in the new version of the Big East than the ACC version without FSU & Clemson. If that ever were to happen......you don't think VT and the upper crust of the ACC would be looking elsewhere?
I think I'd prefer the ACC sans FSU/Clemson only because the football travel is a little easier... and you have more regional rivals. The basketball is probably a bit more attractive as well.. but FSU and Clemson leaving makes the ACC much less attractive and certainly evens the playing field.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson leave, they won't be the only ones leaving.

Reaction Score
Why is that anytime UCONN's football program is mentioned about potential going to a conference other than the Big East ( i.e. ACC or Big 10 ) all the powers that be seem to frown up against it? Are we as a fanbase that bad? What are we not doing ( other than having a smallish stadium ... Personally I think we shoulda figured out a way to buy up a big glob of unused land closer to Storrs, CT and built a bigger stadium ( would hold 55k or higher ) that could be expandable ( to say, 80k ).. It woulda ( would ) go a long way to folks taking us a little more serious in the college football world...

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson do end up leaving the ACC I think it makes VT and UVA (Virginia politics makes the schools come as a package deal) leaving for the SEC more likely to happen. If all of that were to happen I would def take the new BE over the depleted ACC, it wouldn't surprise me to then see Pitt and SU try and find a way back to the BE...how sweet that would be. Acc goes to kill the BE for the second time and ends up self-destructing. Really hoping this happens

Reaction Score
Why is that anytime UCONN's football program is mentioned about potential going to a conference other than the Big East ( i.e. ACC or Big 10 ) all the powers that be seem to frown up against it? Are we as a fanbase that bad? What are we not doing ( other than having a smallish stadium ... Personally I think we shoulda figured out a way to buy up a big glob of unused land closer to Storrs, CT and built a bigger stadium ( would hold 55k or higher ) that could be expandable ( to say, 80k ).. It woulda ( would ) go a long way to folks taking us a little more serious in the college football world...

A 55k seat stadium in Storrs would fill up to half capacity. And in a nutshell, yes, our fanbase is not up to snuff, but our reputation is no worse than Pitt's.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

we don't have a 50 year following. we have a 15 year following. we fill 40k and have good tv numbers. our fanbase is growing by the year and doing a good job considering how young it is supporting the program. but other schools in our boat have been at it for 50 years and have more eyeballs on tv and elsewhere. when a conf takes us its a gampel. one schools they know what they are getting, with us its a 10 years from now we either got rutgers football or we got clem fball. its hard to tell right now which. does the fanbase continue to rapidly expand the the program keeps building, stadium expansion etc etc...or do they kinda top off and become rutgers where its the same old stuff year after year. thats the question about uconn so its going to take some 1 to risk that on a pick. the reason were even in the convo is becuase we have a bama fball type bball program and great other sports so the risk gives the impression that we can do it and quickly. susan is doing alot from what i read on here. shes thinking bi6.

Reaction Score
A stadium in Storrs is a moot point.

Stadium expansion should be on the table sooner rather than later. Build it and they will come.

pj

Reaction Score
The Big Ten would be the best destination.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
A 55k seat stadium in Storrs would fill up to half capacity. And in a nutshell, yes, our fanbase is not up to snuff, but our reputation is no worse than Pitt's.

I think our reputation is a good bit better than Pitt's as far as a traveling fan base goes...

I think it's fair to say that UConn's level of success has been modest. We're not exactly Boise State... that being said I think UConn has been far more successful than both Pitt and Syracuse over the last decade. I can see some people not getting all that excited about UConn because of that... that being said I think that's not the primary reason: I think there's a fair amount of plain old cronyism... you know we're not exactly a member of the good ol' boys club. We're "new money"... it takes a long time to overcome that kind of sentiment. It's not like FSU and Clemson have been lighting the world on fire lately... but they're established brands. Even in basketball I think a lot of the crap we get comes almost entirely from this kind of sentiment... and lastly I think people have been jealous about the success UConn has had as an athletic program and as a program as a whole we've been largely unapologetic about it.

Reaction Score
It's not like FSU and Clemson have been lighting the world on fire lately... but they're established brands.

Let's be honest with ourselves, FSU and Clemson have much better football programs than we do.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Let's be honest with ourselves, FSU and Clemson have much better football programs than we do.
I never said they didn't... but they aren't Alabama and Florida either and empirically speaking their not that much better. Clemson has had one 10 win season in the last ten years and FSU has had two... not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Reaction Score
I think the whole notion of fans saying they'd rather be in a NNBE rather than ACC is absurd. If you think that Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville are going to turn down an offer from the ACC, you're high.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this is all rumor and nothing more. But, I love the idea of getting into a conference with BC and kicking the out of them year in and year out. Same with the Orange....of course, we already to that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm sure this is all rumor and nothing more. But, I love the idea of getting into a conference with BC and kicking the out of them year in and year out. Same with the Orange....of course, we already to that.

I have to agree that after all this nonsense, it would be nice to have as many big games the schedule as possible. Both the ACC and B1G would do that nicely.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger