Uconn's time may be near.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn's time may be near....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'd rather be in the new version of the Big East than the ACC version without FSU & Clemson. If that ever were to happen......you don't think VT and the upper crust of the ACC would be looking elsewhere?

There is no way this is a serious post. Is it? If so, that is a ludicrous statement. The BE that exists now is a joke of a football conference.

Reaction Score
Why is that anytime UCONN's football program is mentioned about potential going to a conference other than the Big East ( i.e. ACC or Big 10 ) all the powers that be seem to frown up against it? Are we as a fanbase that bad? What are we not doing ( other than having a smallish stadium ... Personally I think we shoulda figured out a way to buy up a big glob of unused land closer to Storrs, CT and built a bigger stadium ( would hold 55k or higher ) that could be expandable ( to say, 80k ).. It woulda ( would ) go a long way to folks taking us a little more serious in the college football world...

Other than bringing less than 1000 people to road games? Other than not moving the TV interest meter for anyone other than a UConn fan? Other than not being tied in to an important recruiting base or having a meaningful (to others) football history? And other than stadium size?

Other than that, why, nothing.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm sure this is all rumor and nothing more. But, I love the idea of getting into a conference with BC and kicking the out of them year in and year out. Same with the Orange....of course, we already to that.
kicking the out of teams/programs that are not trying to be sucessful at the top level may be fun, but it doesn't help us get to the top level. i'm all for playing bc/pitt/cuse types but i would rather be the outsider in a big boy conf then just another in the future dog pile of a acc.

miami/wake/duke/temple/pitt/cuse/bc then army/navy/gtown/nova and theres your future acc. maybe toss another or 2 in there. that tv contract with espn will be the best thing ever for bball and kill there fball. they will be a non thought fball wise in the future. miami is going to be smu in the 70s soon so dont bother with that.

when i think uconn i think Indiana, FSU, UVA, UNC, MD, Mich, MSU, PSU, tOSU, NCST etc....not bc/cuse/wake/duke/miami...f those schools. if being left out in the first go around is what happens, then i would rather continue to build our national rep vs boise, byu, , uh, cincy, usf, ucf then vs a bball league. our bball doesn't need a killer league, we can live on our own. so do whats needed for fball so that one day we can be in a great all around league. think big.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think the whole notion of fans saying they'd rather be in a NNBE rather than ACC is absurd. If you think that Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville are going to turn down an offer from the ACC, you're high.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this is all rumor and nothing more. But, I love the idea of getting into a conference with BC and kicking the out of them year in and year out.

I would love that too. but i think i would love it more for the acc to fall apart and bc to be left out of the conference shuffle that happens and end up in the mac or something

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the people who would goto a acc without fsu/clem are not looking at the big picture, your just looking at getting to the next conf up and looking at the local rivals. no thanks.

everyone here(bball fans) has been ripping the pac12 bball league the past couple years correct? why? becuase the product they put out is horrible lately. but guess what, they have a great tv contract and there never a issue with teams moving becuase of it. acc football has but up pac12 bball type numbers. its bcs record is like 2-12 or something. the be during that time in .500ish. thats a huge difference but yet the be got the bad media becuase it was small and had a bad tv contract. sure enough over time the be has gotten ripped apart becuase of it. now things have changed. the be has a great contract coming(considering whos left) and the acc has the crapy contract. there turn to get ripped apart. why join a sinking ship is the question!?!??!?!?!

the answer is becuase schools like bc/cuse/pitt have been quietly sinking for years now and they know it. there never going to get it back becuase big publics with great overall ad's are the answer. so you join duke and wake and crew and sink with them into a conf where bball is great together and you play fball so you can collect a pay check.

beating bsu/byu/navy/cincy/usf/uh/lville is alot better than beating cuse/pitt/duke/wake/bc/miami. if you don't think so you need to give up the 2001 big east dream. some schools are on the rise and trying, others are collecting paychecks.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Other than bringing less than 1000 people to road games? Other than not moving the TV interest meter for anyone other than a UConn fan? Other than not being tied in to an important recruiting base or having a meaningful (to others) football history? And other than stadium size?

Other than that, why, nothing.
When you put it that way, we could argue for years about the fact that Pitt and 'Cuse don't bring much of this either, but the perception is they do, at least from a historical standpoint. I'm not disagreeing at all with you.

I think UConn also suffers from not being "in the club" and it will take a long time for that to occur... I mean the fact that we're obviously still not seen that way as a basketball program speaks volumes.

That being said... I think we're in decent shape if expansion continues in that there just aren't that many programs out there with the resources and the commitment that UConn has. I got no problem with being the last guy picked... just as long as we're picked.

Reaction Score
It would take about 2 days for everyone to get into Storrs to fill a 55k stadium.

I truly believe that the knock on UConn is simply that we are a baby in world of major college football. I hear our "small" stadium come up as a negative so often but look at the list of schools that play in a stadium smaller then ours:

Vanderbilt - 39,790
Marshall - 38,016
Boise St - 37,000
Cincy - 35,000
Houston - 32,000
SMU - 32,000
Wake Forest - 31,500

If the Rent can indeed be expanded to 55k in the future it would put our stadium around the same size of Arkansas, Oregon, Maryland, BC etc.

We just need more time on our side and eventually we will get the respect we deserve.

Reaction Score
I think the whole notion of fans saying they'd rather be in a NNBE rather than ACC is absurd. If you think that Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville are going to turn down an offer from the ACC, you're high.

I agree with this sentiment. The new ACC maybe the old big east under an all sports umbrella, thus allowing the big east to continue on as it was intended to be, a hoops centric, non football conference. Maybe everyone can be happy after all.

Reaction Score
I agree with this sentiment. The new ACC maybe the old big east under an all sports umbrella, thus allowing the big east to continue on as it was intended to be, a hoops centric, non football conference. Maybe everyone can be happy after all.

Not even just the basketball (which would be friggin awesome), but football would be decent, and most importantly we would be in a conference with schools with a high scholastic reputation.

NNBE football will be good, but a league without bigtime names is not going to garner respect.

Reaction Score
AJC88 said:
Not even just the basketball (which would be friggin awesome), but football would be decent, and most importantly we would be in a conference with schools with a high scholastic reputation.

A move to the ACC would be a boon for the football and basketball programs. One of Uconn football's issues was that there wasn't a ready made rival available in the Big East, but in the ACC we would get two rivals we are already predisposed to despising (Maryland and BC), not to mention it is just simply easier to recruit to the ACC, with the perception amongst the public that it is a major conference. Plus, being a basketball school, our biggest rivals (Pitt and SU) would be back on our schedule without having to mention slugging it out with UNC and Duke for ACC primacy. It would be the best thing possible for our programs to move to the ACC rather than stay in a neutered Big East.

Reaction Score
I never said they didn't... but they aren't Alabama and Florida either and empirically speaking their not that much better. Clemson has had one 10 win season in the last ten years and FSU has had two... not exactly lighting the world on fire.

They fill up 80k, seat venues, while were still working on getting 40k,

Ill give you Bama, but at 36, im old enough to remember when Florida wasn't a pimple on FSU 's behind.
Wasn't the till the old ball coach Steve Spurrier came along and then IF closed ground on the "free shoes state criminoles" as he referred to them.

Reaction Score
the people who would goto a acc without fsu/clem are not looking at the big picture, your just looking at getting to the next conf up and looking at the local rivals. no thanks.

everyone here(bball fans) has been ripping the pac12 bball league the past couple years correct? why? becuase the product they put out is horrible lately. but guess what, they have a great tv contract and there never a issue with teams moving becuase of it. acc football has but up pac12 bball type numbers. its bcs record is like 2-12 or something. the be during that time in .500ish. thats a huge difference but yet the be got the bad media becuase it was small and had a bad tv contract. sure enough over time the be has gotten ripped apart becuase of it. now things have changed. the be has a great contract coming(considering whos left) and the acc has the crapy contract. there turn to get ripped apart. why join a sinking ship is the question!?!??!?!?!

the answer is becuase schools like bc/cuse/pitt have been quietly sinking for years now and they know it. there never going to get it back becuase big publics with great overall ad's are the answer. so you join duke and wake and crew and sink with them into a conf where bball is great together and you play fball so you can collect a pay check.

beating bsu/byu/navy/cincy/usf/uh/lville is alot better than beating cuse/pitt/duke/wake/bc/miami. if you don't think so you need to give up the 2001 big east dream. some schools are on the rise and trying, others are collecting paychecks.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please recognize that the decision (would we go to the ACC if offered) has already been made. Both the Governor and Herbst said this months ago.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You are entitled to your opinion, but please recognize that the decision (would we go to the ACC if offered) has already been made. Both the Governor and Herbst said this months ago.

yup but i hope we don't sign a GOR or anything wild becuase we should still be there with 1 eye looking down the street for the next place to live.

pj

Reaction Score
Heh, we'll be looking at the next place to live no matter where we land, unless it's the Big 10. Neither the new Big East nor the ACC are stable. But the ACC is more stable. If Houston or SMU or Boise St got successful enough, off they'd be to a more geographically rational conference. At least the ACC schools are geographically contiguous.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
They fill up 80k, seat venues, while were still working on getting 40k,

Ill give you Bama, but at 36, im old enough to remember when Florida wasn't a pimple on FSU 's behind.
Wasn't the till the old ball coach Steve Spurrier came along and then IF closed ground on the "free shoes state criminoles" as he referred to them.

Again... not disagreeing. I think you're actually illustrating a little of what I'm talking about FSU hasn't been relevant nationally since 2000. It's been over a decade since FSU has factored into the national title... and yet you still give pause when I say Florida is ahead of them as a program. It just show how hard it is for a football program to get respect nationally and how long a program can coast on prior success.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

So Herbst and the Governor committed to join a conference of Wake, Duke, BC, Pitt and Syracuse? Because that may be the ACC after the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 are done picking at the conference. You got a link for that?

What do you think UNC and UVa will do if Clemson and FSU leave? How about VTech and NC State? You don't think the Big 10, which has publicly said they would consider expanding south, would want two top public schools like UVa and UNC in fast growing states? The SEC has it's "Gentlemen's Agreement" to keep out schools from Florida, Georgia, SC and Kentucky, but what about VTech and NC State? Maybe the Big 12 throws a lifeline to Miami, GTech or Maryland.

But you think it would be a good idea to sign up with three small private schools and two mediocre programs from dying industrial cities. Luckily for us, Wake, Duke, BC, Pitt and Syracuse, and whoever else was left, would probably be smart enough to join the Big East before UConn could do something as stupid as jump onto their sinking ship.

Reaction Score
Nelson, the scenario you presented is unlikely to play out quickly in 2012, so how would we turn down an ACC invite if we thought Cincy or Louisville would take the ACC invite after we turned it down? Herbst would be banned from the campus. How much faith can we have in gentlemen's aggreements?

The new ACC could turn into the old Big East minus the dead wood of Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul with the addition of Duke. The new ACC could then grab Houston and SMU and South Florida if it so desired without dealing with the likes of Memphis and Temple

The new ACC could be viewed as a chance to rebuild the Big East with new management and ESPN support instead of ESPN poison.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So Herbst and the Governor committed to join a conference of Wake, Duke, BC, Pitt and Syracuse? Because that may be the ACC after the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 are done picking at the conference. You got a link for that?

What do you think UNC and UVa will do if Clemson and FSU leave? How about VTech and NC State? You don't think the Big 10, which has publicly said they would consider expanding south, would want two top public schools like UVa and UNC in fast growing states? The SEC has it's "Gentlemen's Agreement" to keep out schools from Florida, Georgia, SC and Kentucky, but what about VTech and NC State? Maybe the Big 12 throws a lifeline to Miami, GTech or Maryland.

But you think it would be a good idea to sign up with three small private schools and two mediocre programs from dying industrial cities. Luckily for us, Wake, Duke, BC, Pitt and Syracuse, and whoever else was left, would probably be smart enough to join the Big East before UConn could do something as stupid as jump onto their sinking ship.

im on board with this as my thoughts as well. the acc tv contract as it turns out will be its death.

b12-clem/fsu and has its picking of lville/cincy/miami/gt/md/memphis/tulane for its last 4 members.
sec will grab a nc and va school-ncst/vt
b10 will grab 2 or 3 and hold out for nd for 16. uva/unc/md/ruty/uconn
pac 1 day when the next contract comes around will be looking for more inventory. byu/unlv/bsu/sdsu

acc=duke/wake/pitt/cuse/bc + temple/army/navy. maybe upgrade a gtown and nova to go along with the cashing fball checks and being good at bball and church.

if uconn gets left out of above^ i would rathe rbe with ucf/usf/ruty/ecu/uh/bsu/lville/cicny/sdsu/unlv/fresno//byu and so on. when the next round of tv contacts come and conf's go to 18 or a 5th conf emerges, uconn will be in for sure. might as well in the mean time play in a national conf with schools trying to do the same as us, not die off...

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
You guys are way off. I do not see any way UNC, NCState, UMD, Georgie Tech, or Miami gets into the SEC. Won't happen. If the SEC wants more team, they'll likely just make a hard push for Texas and Oklahoma, or they'll steal FSU and Clemson from the B12. The SEC has no interest in the Carolina teams, IMO.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You guys are way off. I do not see any way UNC, NCState, UMD, Georgie Tech, or Miami gets into the SEC. Won't happen. If the SEC wants more team, they'll likely just make a hard push for Texas and Oklahoma, or they'll steal FSU and Clemson from the B12. The SEC has no interest in the Carolina teams, IMO.

is this a joke?

hmmm maybe i should move this thread to he othe board before it becomes acc2

Reaction Score

I agree. But if FSU & Clemson do leave, VT will be #beggerharder for an SEC invite. I really don't see the appeal of the ACC if a few of their marquee programs leave. Bending over for Tobacco Road is not my idea of fun.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
is this a joke?

Not at all. I don't even see the SEC going to 16 frankly. There is no interest in those teams (outside of MAYBE UNC and even less so Georgia Tech). They only added TAMU and Mizzou for their TV markets. Why do you think it is a forgone conclusion that the ACC UConn would be playing in would be Duke, Wake, UConn, Cincy, Pitt, etc. Please tell me what conferences are going to take these teams: UVA, Va Tech, UMD, UNC, Miami, NC State, Georgia Tech? There aren't even enough slots for them. A much more likely scenario is that the ACC would just stay at 12.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I agree. But if FSU & Clemson do leave, VT will be #beggerharder for an SEC invite. I really don't see the appeal of the ACC if a few of their marquee programs leave. Bending over for Tobacco Road is not my idea of fun.

Even if Va Tech leaves (which they cannot do without UVA), would you rather be in a conference with Houston, SMU, and Memphis? Or Duke, Wake Forest, and Maryland? I cannot believe what I am reading to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom