Uconn's time may be near.... | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Uconn's time may be near....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
only 1 of which is from the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that right there tells you all you need to know about how credible the Baylor 247 report is. What FB school in the BE is NOT interested in any conference that they can even have a slim chance of getting into?

Can anyone make a serious argument that ONLY ONE of Boise, Ville, Cincy, USF, Houston, Memphis or SMU is interested in the Big 12? Come on people, use your common sense when you read stuff on the internet and ask sensible questions before you buy what some snake oil salesman is selling as an add on to land east of Miami Beach.

or maybe u need to think about it. why would the b12 pick up the phone if bsu or uconn called when he can pick up the phone call from gt/vt/md?????

the b12 knows that any big east school will be there. bigger fish to hook right now. the b12 can get to 12 2moro if they want by adding lville/cincy or byu. but they can get to 16 next month with some smooth talking to 5 or 6 acc schools and beat the sec to the game....

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's true that research dollars are big portions of a school's budget. But I can say with some certainty that the reputation of another school in your athletic conference will not gain you any more research dollars than you already gain on your own.
It shouldn't, but grant reviewers are human beings and I wouldn't rule it out completely. I can say that a researcher at Harvard or Stanford has a huge leg up on a researcher at a state school, even an elite one like UNC or Berkeley, just based on the name and facilities and the fact that those schools have lots of bigwig research professors (talent). And scientists do generalize about Big Ten schools having good research programs and I'm sure it's provided some benefit to a place like Penn State.

As for why research grants have been a big part of university expansion over the past 2 decades - every time someone brings in a R01 research grant from the NIH, the university takes about half of it as "overhead" - ostensibly to pay for the administrative staff and facilities type of stuff. Ask a prof what they think about that and maybe they'll Eddie Murphy - "HALF!?!?"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
only 1 of which is from the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that right there tells you all you need to know about how credible the Baylor 247 report is. What FB school in the BE is NOT interested in any conference that they can even have a slim chance of getting into?

Can anyone make a serious argument that ONLY ONE of Boise, Ville, Cincy, USF, Houston, Memphis or SMU is interested in the Big 12? Come on people, use your common sense when you read stuff on the internet and ask sensible questions before you buy what some snake oil salesman is selling as an add on to land east of Miami Beach.

You are really reaching. What it tells you is that every ACC school is getting their resume together.

Reaction Score
You are really reaching. What it tells you is that every ACC school is getting their resume together.

Look at it another way.

If only one school of the 10 is from the BE that means that all but one of schools like UConn, Rutgers, Ville, Cincy, etc. have NOT approached the Big 12 about membership.

Ponder that for a moment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Look at it another way.

If only one school of the 10 is from the BE that means that all but one of schools like UConn, Rutgers, Ville, Cincy, etc. have NOT approached the Big 12 about membership.

Ponder that for a moment.

I just pondered it. The ACC is still about to get torn apart.

Reaction Score
Even if FSU and Clemson go, it is not necessarily good for UConn. The ACC may choose to stay at 12.

Or, I could see FSU and Clemson departures causing VTech to re-engage with the SEC, maybe taking NC State with them. The SEC will try for UNC, but I think UNC would prefer to be in the Big 10 if they were not in the ACC. I think philosophically, UNC would be very reluctant to affiliate with programs like Auburn and Alabama, particularly after the Butch Davis experience.

The Big 10 is all about markets for the BTN, and NC, MD and VA are three of the best markets adjacent to Big 10 country, and all are growing whereas the Big 10 markets are all shrinking. I could see a situation where all 3 pursue Big 10 membership, and the Big 10 accepts them, because in the big 10 revenue model, it is not locked into network TV contracts to expand its top line.

Here is where my theory about what happens next gets a bit creative. I don't see Duke, Wake, et al getting real excited about joining a league with UCF and Memphis. If 6 or 7 ACC schools have left or are trying to leave, I could see the rest deciding that they are not the SEC or the Big 10, and really don't want to be. But the TV rights market is so frothy, they could make incredible dollars by historical standards, without sinking into the cesspool that is big time football.

So Duke, Wake, BCU, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, and maybe Miami decide to go for the top academics. They invite Northwestern, Vanderbilt, maybe Rice, Tulane and Villanova. Add Notre Dame and Georgetown as basketball only members. That ACC would get a decent, not spectacular contract, especially if Notre Dame was affiliated.

The Big 10 lets Northwestern go as a 1 for 3 swap to get the MD, VA and NC markets for the BTN. The SEC may squawk, but I suspect most SEC schools would be happy to see Vanderbilt go, and maybe they take Miami or TCU or WVU if they have not signed the GOR yet. The Big 12 replaces TCU with Louisville, and maybe grabs BYU and Cincinnati if it wants to expand to 14.

In that scenario, UConn and Rutgers are totally screwed. Louisville, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Villanova are gone. Without Louisville and Cincinnati, with with the 3 hoops schools gone, NBC may not be interested anymore so Boise and SDSU decide to stay home in the MWC.

I hit the like key before when I meant to hit reply. I no like.

UConn and Rutgers may be totally screwed because the Empire operated Death Star decides to take out New jersey and Connecticut while leaving the rest of the Metropolitan area, and the country intact. Not only is that theoretically possible -- it's no less likely than what you just proposed.

Is it possible to set up a thread where Nelson, Carl and Dan talk about realignment without it showing up in the main threads? I'd be more likely to fund that than a FSU alum willing to pony up $20M so FSU can be Texas's bitch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

UConn and Rutgers may be totally screwed because the Empire operated Death Star decides to take out New jersey and Connecticut while leaving the rest of the Metropolitan area, and the country intact. Not only is that theoretically possible -- it's no less likely than what you just proposed.

Is it possible to set up a thread where Nelson, Carl and Dan talk about realignment without it showing up in the main threads? I'd be more likely to fund that than a FSU alum willing to pony up $20M so FSU can be Texas's bitch.

You keep with the 'ACC is sticking together' position.

Reaction Score
You guys just need to stop taking this board so seriously and just enjoy it for the conspiracy theory’s that it is. That’s what all of these boards are. Go to the WVU 1 or the Texas 1. There a lot worse than here. Just laugh and dream and enjoy it. Is it not fun to start from scratch and build things yourself if you could dream? If you hate or love something enjoy it and poke fun at it. Stop acting like its life or death on this board.

That's one possibility. The other is that you allow grown ups to have a serious discussion about things that are important to them.

Just saying.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

FWIW, last week I asked Fishy to set up a "Fantasy Realignment Board".

Reaction Score
I have trouble playing any scenario out in such a way that UConn does not end up completely screwed. Our BEST CASE is the current Big East hangs together. #BegHarder© has not worked. While lightweights like Gross at mediocre schools in dead factory towns in Siberia were saving their programs, we have been left on the sidelines. I don't see a scenario where UConn ever gets invited to the ACC unless it is in such shambles UConn shouldn't join.

The only chance UConn has is the Big East gets a decent enough contract so that UConn can be competitive. Manuel somehow gets Shaka Smart, who doesn't miss a beat, and Pasqualoni rights the ship enough in football so that next time UConn goes to hire a football coach, the two choices aren't a has been and a never was (Whipple). IF BOTH THINGS HAPPEN, UConn has a chance to land on its feat in the next go around. There will be successful programs emerging from the non-majors. Hopefully one can be UConn.

The more likely outcome is that it is all finished. Edsall was mediocrity personified, and while WVU and Louisville were making themselves attractive to other leagues, UConn was treading water. Calhoun will be a happy memory that will be replaced by a succession of Dom Pernos while UConn ends up in a league with UMass, Buffalo, UNH and Temple. The New New Yankee Conference.

Hahahahahahaha. The conference mess is Randy Edsall's fault.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FWIW, last week I asked Fishy to set up a "Fantasy Realignment Board".

Then people like yourself that predicted the ACC would hold together would have a place of your own.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I hope you meant "UNLV to the Pac-16" HuskyFanDan and not "I hate BC and Pitt" UConnDan97! ;)

Reaction Score
I hope you meant "UNLV to the Pac-16" HuskyFanDan and not "I hate BC and Pitt" UConnDan97! ;)

LMAO. I would have thought that was clear. (Unless, of course, you are now telling me how much of the realignment crap revolves around Temple.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then people like yourself that predicted the ACC would hold together would have a place of your own.

Try not to get dizzy taking victory laps before anything actually happens.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Try not to get dizzy taking victory laps before anything actually happens.

I have to do it now, because after it happens, every poster on this board will claim they knew it all along.

Reaction Score
I have to do it now, because after it happens, every poster on this board will claim they knew it all along.

You mean like we all knew UConn wouldn't lose all their remaining games from 3-4 in '11. Or did you have another example in mind.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You mean like we all knew UConn wouldn't lose all their remaining games from 3-4 in '11. Or did you have another example in mind.

I didn't say UConn was going to lose out last year. I liked Pasqualoni as a coach.

Reaction Score
I didn't say UConn was going to lose out last year. I liked Pasqualoni as a coach.

My bad. I meant the '10 season that ended in the '11 Fiesta Bowl. As opposed to the '11 season that ended in the ... never mind.

Reaction Score
That's how I feel. I've been saying for months that although all the handwringing is fun to read, the reality is that when the dust settles, we'll be very proud members of The Big10. But I feel like Dorothy at the end of the movie--"Oh Auntie Em, doesn't anybody believe me? I'm keep waiting for my Uncle Henry to respond "Of course we believe you, Dorothy." I guess I'll have to settle for my girlfriend Susan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom