UConn's Samuel excels running offense, disrupting on defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Samuel excels running offense, disrupting on defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's shooting 32%, 64% FT, hasn't hit a 3 ever at UConn, has more TOs than assists this year. yes, his offense is surging.

lol. If you think looking at the numbers is the only way to evaluate where a player is going to be in the future, you must have thought Kemba was a bust in February of 2011.

You don't have to think T-Sam is going to be a star, or even above-average moving forward. But don't sit here and quote his current numbers as undeniable proof that he's going nowhere.

Reaction Score
Ok, just saying he's not a good offensive player. You're now comparing Kemba to T Sam? Ok. I'm guessing Kemba hit at least 1 3 in his first 40 games @ Uconn. Also, guessing Kemba had an assist-TO ratio > 1.0

lol. If you think looking at the numbers is the only way to evaluate where a player is going to be in the future, you must have thought Kemba was a bust in February of 2011.

You don't have to think T-Sam is going to be a star, or even above-average moving forward. But don't sit here and quote his current numbers as undeniable proof that he's going nowhere.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Did I just read something about Lubin beating out Facey next year because Facey is undersized? Do people not realize that sniffing paint is a bad idea?

Reaction Score
Saying if Stone doesn't come that either Lubin or Enoch will beat out Facey. Maybe not, maybe Facey comes back 6-9 235. Facey has no handle, no range outside of 4 feet, can't post up, can't distribute out of block, can't creat his own shot, can't defense legit 4s, etc. other than that he's awesome.

Did I just read something about Lubin beating out Facey next year because Facey is undersized? Do people not realize that sniffing paint is a bad idea?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Saying if Stone doesn't come that either Lubin or Enoch will beat out Facey. Maybe not, maybe Facey comes back 6-9 235. Facey has no handle, no range outside of 4 feet, can't post up, can't distribute out of block, can't creat his own shot, can't defense legit 4s, etc. other than that he's awesome.

So what can Lubin do? I don't care if you think Facey is worse than a HS PF, you'd have to be blind deaf and dumb to think he isn't ahead of Lubin.

Reaction Score

You should probably stop posting. There is 0.0 % Enoch takes minutes from Facey next year and and 0.1 % chance that Lubin beats him out. I get that you want to have controversial takes, but put a little more thought into them.

Reaction Score
I'm saying next year and maybe. Not right now, if ever.

So what can Lubin do? I don't care if you think Facey is worse than a HS PF, you'd have to be blind deaf and dumb to think he isn't ahead of Lubin.

Reaction Score
I think with Terrence's defense, and the way I see his offense progressing, it's going to be hard to keep him on the bench by his Senior year. Jalen will likely have the same "problem" that same season, so it's likely both start that year. If Purvis is still around, we'll be pretty stacked at the guard position.
Purvis will never play the 1 unless it is an emergency. He brings many things but a good enough handle to play PG isn't one of them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You should probably stop posting. There is 0.0 % Enoch takes minutes from Facey next year and and 0.1 % chance that Lubin beats him out. I get that you want to have controversial takes, but put a little more thought into them.

Swap controversial for idiotic and you've nailed it.

Honestly, we've long-considered him the worst persistent poster we've had in our nearly 20 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm saying next year and maybe. Not right now, if ever.

"Same if we land Stone for Facey and frankly even if we don't I'd expect Enoch or Rubin to beat him out next year."

Which is it? Expected? Maybe?
I also don't like trashing young players on an open blog.
Good opportunity for an early New Year's resolution for you.

Reaction Score

This is nonsense. Do you guys all give yourself lobotomies before every game so you can only think back to the last one? Facey is a superb rebounder and has great touch around the basket.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Swap controversial for idiotic and you've nailed it. Honestly, we've long-considered him the worst persistent poster we've had in our nearly 20 years.

There are certain visual stimuli you get used to here from the avatars. When I see the "uh oh" monkey, I know I can look forward to either some quality humor or salty cursing, depending on the poster's mood at that moment. When I see that sideways jersey, I know I have to prepare some eyeball exercises so I don't pull something rolling them.

Reaction Score
Thanks Fishy. The next time you post something insightful will be the first time. I mean about basketball and not your stimulating cycling ones.

Swap controversial for idiotic and you've nailed it.

Honestly, we've long-considered him the worst persistent poster we've had in our nearly 20 years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ok, just saying he's not a good offensive player. You're now comparing Kemba to T Sam? Ok. I'm guessing Kemba hit at least 1 3 in his first 40 games @ Uconn. Also, guessing Kemba had an assist-TO ratio > 1.0

I don't think you understand how comparisons work.

Purvis will never play the 1 unless it is an emergency. He brings many things but a good enough handle to play PG isn't one of them.

I agree, was just talking about the guard position in general. 1, 2, and 3.

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. Do you guys all give yourself lobotomies before every game so you can only think back to the last one? Facey is a superb rebounder and has great touch around the basket.

C'mon Bruce you need to back off on the lobotomies talk if you're going to come up with "superb" in describing KF's rebounding prowess. Sometimes yes, sometimes no doesn't make for superb. Give it time but for now, he's better than most on our team, which is decent!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There are certain visual stimuli you get used to here from the avatars. When I see the "uh oh" monkey, I know I can look forward to either some quality humor or salty cursing, depending on the poster's mood at that moment. When I see that sideways jersey, I know I have to prepare some eyeball exercises so I don't pull something rolling them.

This is the post that answered my, "Which Ignored poster has loosed the dogs?" question. Not sure if this warrants a Thanks or not, but I'm sure I'm happier not reading. Felt similarly when I accessed BY through a device that wasn't signed in and came upon a couple of unfamiliar threads that elicited appropriate apoplexy. No matter what version of grittiness, I was happier doing without.

Reaction Score
I spent a while trying to figure out who this Rubin player was and how did I lose track of him.:D.

If Stone comes, Facey is the back-up power forward.. Enoch needs to develop. Lubin does not have the potential Facey has.
if stone come, stone and brimah both play 28-30 at the 4 & 5. Facey gets 12-14 minutes and the rest is for when Daniels plays the 4 in a small lineup. Facey will play. Lubin will be behind all of them. Possibly Enoch too-he is very young for his class and still raw. Expecting either of them to push Facey off the floor is silly.

HUSKY91 STOP. I am absolutely stunned every time i come here and your trying to convince the world that KF is terrible and will never play. FYI, when he is on the floor, he is the 5th option, unless Lubin or Nolan is out there. His job is to rebound, defend and make dirty plays-often for him, those are put back baskets. He is a 4 year player who did not play last year meaning he has played 9 college games that can/should be judged. In those 9 games, he has shown that he can adequately rebound, defend and occasionally score. They have not asked him to do anything outside that, although there are rumors he has a decent stroke.

Why are you burying him? He will play here, at least 14 minutes a game, the next 3 years. minimum. If he gets no better, he is in for 14 minutes. Who do you think UConn is brining in next year? where is this super star coming from that will relegate Facey to the bench? if stone does come, stone and brimah both play 28-30 min at the 4 & 5. Facey gets 12-14 minutes and the rest is for when Daniels plays the 4 in a small lineup. Facey will play. If stone does not come, Facey will be getting close to 30 a night and hopefully will be an improved player. But he is playing either way and there is zero doubt that he will be ahead of lubin and enoch.

Lubin, very clearly, is barely capable of playing against bottom 150 opponents, Enoch, is 17, playing in a prep league as a young player and is also very raw. He is not going to come in an leapfrog Facey. Just stop. They are not asking him to do anything more than what he is doing and if you DONT think there is ever a time he will hit a jump shot then stop watching. I dont know what you were/are expecting from him, but this is just annoying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
C'mon Bruce you need to back off on the lobotomies talk if you're going to come up with "superb" in describing KF's rebounding prowess. Sometimes yes, sometimes no doesn't make for superb. Give it time but for now, he's better than most on our team, which is decent!

Facey is like a knock down shooter who can't create his own shot at this point. You don't want to leave him open, but if you account for him, he's ineffective. Similarly, if someone identifies Facey on a rebound and puts a body on him and keeps it there, he's often neutralized.

It seems strange that he could have 8-8-9 in the rebounding department against our top three opponents and then get 1 against Columbia and 3 against Yale. I haven't scoured tape or anything, but I imagine a lot of it is that the mid majors and Ivies (believe it or not) are often better at rebounding fundamentals, since they can't afford to be caught in a jumping contest that they can't win. So they put a body on you and keep it there, and hope to get low rebounds or have their teammates come in. It's the difference between a guy saying "I'm getting that rebound" and one saying "my man is not getting that rebound." The one who wants it for himself will disengage from the box out early to go jump after it, and sometimes that helps a guy like Facey, who can be deceptively quick when the ball comes off the rim (for example, Emeka - the best rebounder we've had in my fandom - actually wasn't all that great at boxing out, but he was super human with his ability to go get it. He seemed to thrive more by making sure he wasn't tangled up with a defender). And then obviously the game starts to dictate strategy - if Facey isn't getting rebounds, and we can get away with Hamilton at the four to get more offense out there, Facey's minutes go down and he gets an ugly stat line.

Facey just has to get better at being a moving target against opponents where he has a quickness and jumping advantage (something Rodman excelled at in between piercings and tattoos, which is how he became so good in the NBA at 6-8, 210). And he needs to improve his technique on the defensive glass - he's still often a bit slow to react at that end of the floor in general. He leaves to bring help and then gets caught watching as the ball goes up instead of getting back to his man. He seems to be a step slow a lot as he's still going on reactions more than instinct, which is what got him yanked against Columbia (a step slow recovering to his man, who got a put back). At the offensive end, he can just go sniff out the ball - sometimes it's easier to go chase a rebound without a box out responsibility.

Maybe it's optimistic, but I think he could come close to 10 rpg later in his career if he earns starter's minutes. He does some things you can't teach and hopefully he'll get better at the things you can teach. His minutes next year may depend on what Stone does, but Facey also has the potential to make himself too valuable to keep off the floor very long no matter who is here, if he rebounds consistently and learns to defend on the perimeter as well as the post. Tough to keep guys like that off the floor, and I'm not sure Stone-Brimah could be out there together for long stretches against everyone, chasing a shooting 4 around the arc and hedging on pick and rolls. But Facey isn't there yet either, and I haven't seen Stone enough to judge where he's at with his defensive versatility. Hopefully, I'll see for myself a lot in the future (it's been real quiet lately - I hope he at least still has a short list and isn't answering the phone from new places).

Reaction Score
I like Facey's energy and effort, I just don't think he has many basketball skills right now.

I think he's a player who wants to play on the perimeter yet he can't shoot or handle, and lacks the quickness to defend the 3.

I think we'll see him come back next year at 6-9 220+ with more of a block game and range out to 8-10 feet. If he comes back as the same player that is where I think Rubin or Enoch could challenge him.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Facey is like a knock down shooter who can't create his own shot at this point. You don't want to leave him open, but if you account for him, he's ineffective. Similarly, if someone identifies Facey on a rebound and puts a body on him and keeps it there, he's often neutralized.

It seems strange that he could have 8-8-9 in the rebounding department against our top three opponents and then get 1 against Columbia and 3 against Yale. I haven't scoured tape or anything, but I imagine a lot of it is that the mid majors and Ivies (believe it or not) are often better at rebounding fundamentals, since they can't afford to be caught in a jumping contest that they can't win. So they put a body on you and keep it there, and hope to get low rebounds or have their teammates come in. It's the difference between a guy saying "I'm getting that rebound" and one saying "my man is not getting that rebound." The one who wants it for himself will disengage from the box out early to go jump after it, and sometimes that helps a guy like Facey, who can be deceptively quick when the ball comes off the rim (for example, Emeka - the best rebounder we've had in my fandom - actually wasn't all that great at boxing out, but he was super human with his ability to go get it. He seemed to thrive more by making sure he wasn't tangled up with a defender). And then obviously the game starts to dictate strategy - if Facey isn't getting rebounds, and we can get away with Hamilton at the four to get more offense out there, Facey's minutes go down and he gets an ugly stat line.

Facey just has to get better at being a moving target against opponents where he has a quickness and jumping advantage (something Rodman excelled at in between piercings and tattoos, which is how he became so good in the NBA at 6-8, 210). And he needs to improve his technique on the defensive glass - he's still often a bit slow to react at that end of the floor in general. He leaves to bring help and then gets caught watching as the ball goes up instead of getting back to his man. He seems to be a step slow a lot as he's still going on reactions more than instinct, which is what got him yanked against Columbia (a step slow recovering to his man, who got a put back). At the offensive end, he can just go sniff out the ball - sometimes it's easier to go chase a rebound without a box out responsibility.

Maybe it's optimistic, but I think he could come close to 10 rpg later in his career if he earns starter's minutes. He does some things you can't teach and hopefully he'll get better at the things you can teach. His minutes next year may depend on what Stone does, but Facey also has the potential to make himself too valuable to keep off the floor very long no matter who is here, if he rebounds consistently and learns to defend on the perimeter as well as the post. Tough to keep guys like that off the floor, and I'm not sure Stone-Brimah could be out there together for long stretches against everyone, chasing a shooting 4 around the arc and hedging on pick and rolls. But Facey isn't there yet either, and I haven't seen Stone enough to judge where he's at with his defensive versatility. Hopefully, I'll see for myself a lot in the future (it's been real quiet lately - I hope he at least still has a short list and isn't answering the phone from new places).

This.

Reaction Score
Geez I like Kentan and where he is now compared to last year has been great. Inconsistent? Yeah but show me a lot of soph's who did;t play much their frosh year who aren't.

But we need to temper the "knockdown" shooter stuff I think. A knockdown shooter doesn't miss, and bad a lot, the shots I've seen which have been open or even hesitate to shoot as he does. He has a nice stroke it would seem for a bigger kid. But no matter, if you take shots you need to make them and thus far he's made one or 2 from outside of 3 feet. I agree that Yale and Columbia are fundamentally strong boxing out and stuff, but they're also 6'4" - 6'5" guys who aren't as athletic, he needs to learn his way around that weakness. 10 rebounds? Maybe - superb rebounder? He'll have to get compared to John Thomas and Gerry Besselink before we even approach that description.

Let's just let him be the 6 and 6 guy for now with the occasional 12 and 8 type game, that's a pretty good leap for me. What he will be down the road depends on how much his instincts grow and his weight training at this point. When it comes down to it he and Amida need to learn a lot together to be where they want in 2 1/2 years!!

Reaction Score
Good post and comparisons. Both need bulk and weight. If this group stays for 2-3 more years with Adams it has a legit chance for FFs and NCs next 2 years. But the lure of NBA may get Brimah and Hamilton sooner.

Imagine the 2016-17 team with Adams, Purvis, DHam, Facey and Brimah. That team is loaded.

Geez I like Kentan and where he is now compared to last year has been great. Inconsistent? Yeah but show me a lot of soph's who did;t play much their frosh year who aren't.

But we need to temper the "knockdown" shooter stuff I think. A knockdown shooter doesn't miss, and bad a lot, the shots I've seen which have been open or even hesitate to shoot as he does. He has a nice stroke it would seem for a bigger kid. But no matter, if you take shots you need to make them and thus far he's made one or 2 from outside of 3 feet. I agree that Yale and Columbia are fundamentally strong boxing out and stuff, but they're also 6'4" - 6'5" guys who aren't as athletic, he needs to learn his way around that weakness. 10 rebounds? Maybe - superb rebounder? He'll have to get compared to John Thomas and Gerry Besselink before we even approach that description.

Let's just let him be the 6 and 6 guy for now with the occasional 12 and 8 type game, that's a pretty good leap for me. What he will be down the road depends on how much his instincts grow and his weight training at this point. When it comes down to it he and Amida need to learn a lot together to be where they want in 2 1/2 years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom