UConn's Paige Bueckers is expected to be OK for the start of the season | The Boneyard

UConn's Paige Bueckers is expected to be OK for the start of the season

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma said star guard Paige Bueckers is "90%" recovered from tearing her left ACL last summer and he expects her to be fully ready by the start of the regular season. "If she's not ready to go by then, then I'm not ready to go," Auriemma said Tuesday. "Let's put it that way." Auriemma praised Bueckers for the work she has put in as she continues to recover from the injury that sidelined her for the entirety of the 2022-2023 season and said he has been impressed by what he has seen from her in recent months.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Main Thing is to start and finish the season healthy. The European trip will give everybody else a chance to play and the coaches a chance to observe. The quote I like the most is that minutes will be cut back. That gives everybody a chance to play and more importantly not over due playtime which I feel leads to injuries and being tired. We have alot of fresh bodies on the court all the time. Dont think twice. This is a very special, and very talented team. There isnt a team in America that should be able to keep up with UConn this season. My hope is Paige takes advantage of her red shirt season and maybe her covid season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Main Thing is to start and finish the season healthy. The European trip will give everybody else a chance to play and the coaches a chance to observe. The quote I like the most is that minutes will be cut back. That gives everybody a chance to play and more importantly not over due playtime which I feel leads to injuries and being tired. We have alot of fresh bodies on the court all the time. Dont think twice. This is a very special, and very talented team. There isnt a team in America that should be able to keep up with UConn this season. My hope is Paige takes advantage of her red shirt season and maybe her covid season.
Based on the reports we got the past week from Geno, the beat writers, and the upperclassmen regarding our freshmen, now we have something concrete on which to base a heightened level of hope and enthusiasm.

It appears that our 4 freshmen are coming in with the right mindset to integrate into the fabric of the team. Geno, Chris Daley, and the upperclassmen are convinced they can help us this coming season. Of course, I’ll expect lots more from them beginning next year. For now, like you, I’m very optimistic about this team. The things I’m most excited about are their willingness to shoot and our depth of post players. I remember Aubrey’s reluctance to shoot during her freshman year.

After what we endured last year, the thought of having 14 healthy players dress for every game this season is almost unbelievable. It would allow Geno to employ some defensive schemes he was not able to the last two years. Lots of good times ahead for UConn fans. Finally, it’s time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I enjoy hearing about a Team with this much talent and in relatively good health. It would be really nice to see this team really spread the minutes on a prudent basis giving a rest to all the starting players while these substitutes make significant contributions.

Reaction Score
I try not to get too excited by anything coming out concerning the team until fall practices start. The coaching staff always has good things to say about the kids over the summer from my perspective and recall. We will get a true picture of how individual players and the team is shaping up in the fall. Of course, you hope that the team performs to the level of our expectations, but sometimes I think we go a little overboard in our enthusiasm and then spend the season grousing about "unfulfilled expectations."

I prefer just sitting back and seeing how the season develops.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I enjoy hearing about a Team with this much talent and in relatively good health. It would be really nice to see this team really spread the minutes on a prudent basis giving a rest to all the starting players while these substitutes make significant contributions.
Next year Geno will lose Aaliyah, Nika, Aubrey, and most likely Paige. I'm not suggesting he has to, but it would behoove him to get his freshmen as many "meaningful" minutes this year as possible because there's a good chance 1-2 of them may become a starter next year.

Reaction Score
Next year Geno will lose Aaliyah, Nika, Aubrey, and most likely Paige. I'm not suggesting he has to, but it would behoove him to get his freshmen as many "meaningful" minutes this year as possible because there's a good chance 1-2 of them may become a starter next year.

You sure? They all come back for 1 more year.

Reaction Score
They all have two more years of eligibility left though so hard to know if we will actually lose them all. I would assume Aaliyah and Aubrey are definitely planning to leave while Nika and Paige probably have too many TBDs to really know what they'll do. While Paige was non-committal during the media day, both Ice and Azzi talked about playing with Paige another two years which means returning is still on the table. Nika - it would depend on if she is ready to contribute to a WNBA right away at the end of the season or has a chance to go high in the draft. Too many question mark across the board to be certain of anything.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You sure? They all come back for 1 more year.
Am I absolutely positively sure, of course not. Just stating the FACT that ALL of them ARE ELIGIBLE to leave, and be drafted by the WNBA.

There is no way that today (June 22, 2023) anyone knows for sure what anyone of these players will ultimately decide to do 10 months from now (mid-April).

A lot can happen between now and then. But.....I'm assuming they will leave. I could be wrong. :confused: We won't know for sure until they announce their intentions at the end of the coming season.

What would make them want to stay another year? Another crack at a national championship? Lucrative NIL money? Not being projected as a 1st round draft pick? You tell me. :eek: Geno may use his reserves this season based on what these players may have told him in private.
All WE know is what we read here in the yard. For example....if Aaliyah has confidentially told Geno she's coming back for her COVID year, then there's no urgency to get her back up ready with extra minutes this coming season. Right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Am I absolutely positively sure, of course not. Just stating the FACT that ALL of them ARE ELIGIBLE to leave, and be drafted by the WNBA.

There is no way that today (June 22, 2023) anyone knows for sure what anyone of these players will ultimately decide to do 10 months from now (mid-April).

A lot can happen between now and then. But.....I'm assuming they will leave. I could be wrong. :confused: We won't know for sure until they announce their intentions at the end of the coming season.

What would make them want to stay another year? Another crack at a national championship? Lucrative NIL money? Not being projected as a 1st round draft pick? You tell me. :eek:

Maybe they just like playing with each other?! And........ I meant to say they can come back.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe they just like playing with each other?! And........ I meant to say they can come back.
Hey...I'm like Will Rogers. All I KNOW is what I read here in the Boneyard. :cool: I'm going to sit back and enjoy the coming season and see what happens after the tournament is over. Whatever they decide, Geno will make it work. In Geno I trust. :)

Reaction Score
I’ll be shocked if Paige leaves next year. I believe she will stay at least one more year. She doesn’t need the money, she can either make another attempt at a championship or go for the repeat, she can give another year to strengthening both her repaired knee and her body before embarking on her Pro career, and she can play another year with Azzi!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ll be shocked if Paige leaves next year. I believe she will stay at least one more year. She doesn’t need the money, she can either make another attempt at a championship or go for the repeat, she can give another year to strengthening both her repaired knee and her body before embarking on her Pro career, and she can play another year with Azzi!
You’re right, and I hope she does. You make a good argument. She talked Azzi into coming to Storrs. Maybe Azzi can talk her into staying for 2024-2025. Only one thing would make Geno and UConn Nation happier if she returned next year, a championship.

Reaction Score
You’re right, and I hope she does. You make a good argument. She talked Azzi into coming to Storrs. Maybe Azzi can talk her into staying for 2024-2025. Only one thing would make Geno and UConn Nation happier if she returned next year, a championship.

But Azzi can leave after this up coming season too

Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll follow this mini-swerve. Whatever they decide to do, I’m pretty sure Paige and Azzi will do it together.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Though I’m leery about NIL’s long term impact on college athletics, at least in this instance I’m grateful for it because it seems to remove or lessen a financial incentive for Paige, and perhaps others, to leave after this coming season.

Reaction Score
She isn't clear to play 5s and we are already discussing her draft status for next year? She will play this season and if healthy she will most likely win a championship if a couple of the other key players stay healthy. After that I would like to see her stay but if I was betting and had to wager $1000 one way or the other I would put my money on her going to the WNBA. To me that is where she needs to be to build her basketball legacy and she is already a little older than most of the kids in college.

Reaction Score
She isn't clear to play 5s and we are already discussing her draft status for next year? She will play this season and if healthy she will most likely win a championship if a couple of the other key players stay healthy. After that I would like to see her stay but if I was betting and had to wager $1000 one way or the other I would put my money on her going to the WNBA. To me that is where she needs to be to build her basketball legacy and she is already a little older than most of the kids in college.
You build your basketball legacy in college in the women’s side still if we are being honest. At least with Gen pop. I watch almost every game but let’s me honest, the WNBA is a still a disaster if a league. The players are better obviously but the coaching, the officiating, the marketing and the team management across the league is still so far behind the 8 ball it makes the product on the floor hard to watch 80% of the time.

Maybe by the end of Paige’s WNBA career it will improve but I don’t see anyone basketball career being built in the WNBA over college anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Like others have said, 1). I am good with Paige not playing during the European leg of the summer trip. She can continue her magnificent role as Coach P. 2). I also agree with the notion of spreading the minutes around with the depth that we have. I am hoping that players are working on their skill development. With so many players, Coach G, if the players are earning minutes, he should play as many players as possible.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes Rowdy. We're forward thinkers here. We think 1-2 seasons ahead here regularly. We Live and enjoy today, but plan for tomorrow. Her current status does not preclude us from looking ahead to her possible plans for this time next year. We discussed where the team should be (the potential roster and possible transfers) now (late June) last summer. :cool: Paige will be 22 in October.

1687555641244.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on the reports we got the past week from Geno, the beat writers, and the upperclassmen regarding our freshmen, now we have something concrete on which to base a heightened level of hope and enthusiasm.

It appears that our 4 freshmen are coming in with the right mindset to integrate into the fabric of the team. Geno, Chris Daley, and the upperclassmen are convinced they can help us this coming season. Of course, I’ll expect lots more from them beginning next year. For now, like you, I’m very optimistic about this team. The things I’m most excited about are their willingness to shoot and our depth of post players. I remember Aubrey’s reluctance to shoot during her freshman year.

After what we endured last year, the thought of having 14 healthy players dress for every game this season is almost unbelievable. It would allow Geno to employ some defensive schemes he was not able to the last two years. Lots of good times ahead for UConn fans. Finally, it’s time.
How many "healthy" players did Uconn have to start last season? My point how we start isn't a guarantee for the year. But I get your point.
Europe I believe will show the true Uconn WBB Team.

Reaction Score
How many "healthy" players did Uconn have to start last season? My point how we start isn't a guarantee for the year. But I get your point.
Well Caroline, Dorka Aubrey and Azzi all were out this time last year, so 9 maybe assuming those were the only injuries. By Seasons start Caroline, Ice, and Paige were all out and Aaliyah had broken her nose. So yea with the relatively minor recovery time do AP and AB, we are already off to a better start than this time last year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We began the off-season with 12 players on the roster. Paige suffered a season-ending injury on August 1. Ice Brady suffered her season-ending injury on October 25. That left 10 players left to begin the season two weeks later. With our best player lost for the season, and our very promising freshman post player gone before it began was a crushing blow to the program and the fan base.

Let’s hope those injury-plagued seasons are behind us. I’m expecting all 14 roster players to dress and be ready and able to play that first preseason game in November. There’s safety in numbers. This year we have numbers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom