UConn's Paige Bueckers is expected to be OK for the start of the season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Paige Bueckers is expected to be OK for the start of the season

Reaction Score
Should Minnesota score the number two pick for the '24 draft, Paige will be more imclined to declare for the draft. Minnesota certainly wants her. I'm guessing she has a wait and see attitude because it would be hard for her to pass up the chance to play for her home state fans if Minnesota could draft her.

Reaction Score
We began the off-season with 12 players on the roster. Paige suffered a season-ending injury on August 1. Ice Brady suffered her season-ending injury on October 25. That left 10 players left to begin the season two weeks later. With our best player lost for the season, and our very promising freshman post player gone before it began was a crushing blow to the program and the fan base.

Let’s hope those injury-plagued seasons are behind us. I’m expecting all 14 roster players to dress and be ready and able to play that first preseason game in November. There’s safety in numbers. This year we have numbers.
Caroline was also out to begin the season and missed the whole off season recovering from hip surgery. So we actually started with 9 then lost Dorka the second game.

Reaction Score
I’ll be shocked if Paige leaves next year. I believe she will stay at least one more year. She doesn’t need the money, she can either make another attempt at a championship or go for the repeat, she can give another year to strengthening both her repaired knee and her body before embarking on her Pro career, and she can play another year with Azzi!
I'd like to think that Paige's friendship with, and loyalty to, Azzi (and everyone else) is bigger than a WNBA paycheck.

Paige doesn't need the money, but some kids have a lifelong dream of making it in the WNBA, the money be damned. Nothing wrong with that but I hope Paige isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
One thing I hate about the extra year of eligibility is the havoc it potentially plays on recruiting. One thing we need to remember is everyone can't really come back that could, or we would be over the limit and need to "encourage" a player or two to transfer. We have 14 and two 2024 recruits already committed, so that is 16 if everyone that could return did.

Now I expect Geno has a much better idea, or at least more knowledge about what factors are most important in individual players decisions, but it is a nightmare for planning purposes. I think the odds are very good that one of those will leave, but that isn't enough if we want to recruit any additional 2024 recruits, including Strong, Carlton, Koval or anyone else. Every additional 2024 recruit means one more needs to leave.

It is also very hard on already committed recruits if a star at their position decides to return and potentially pushes back your opportunity for major playing time for a year. Overall this well intended change as a result of Covid has complicated the decisions and uncertainty regarding recruiting, transfers, and the WNBA draft.

Obviously with major coaching changes you sometimes have the awkward situation where a new coach wants to clean house, encourage the players they didn't recruit to leave, knowing that with immediate eligibility for transfers they can remake a roster overnight.

The good news is after this year some stability will return as the extra year option expires, but for now I hope the players who would like to return can, that this does not limit our ability to recruit a 2024 player we really want, and that the numbers crunch doesn't force Geno to have to in essence show a current player the door, or encourage them to transfer. With the current rules all of those at the same time might not be possible because of the extra eligibility rule.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paige has a ton of pressure on her this year. She's coming back to a team with championship aspirations despite losing in the Sweet 16 and losing their two best players from last year. Rightly or wrongly, UConn's success is all on her.

Reaction Score
Paige has a ton of pressure on her this year. She's coming back to a team with championship aspirations despite losing in the Sweet 16 and losing their two best players from last year. Rightly or wrongly, UConn's success is all on her.
You’re so right. But I think she can handle it. The girl is built for pressure situations.

Reaction Score
I hope Paige is 110 percent...UConn is kind of overdue for a National Championship.

Reaction Score
Should Minnesota score the number two pick for the '24 draft, Paige will be more imclined to declare for the draft. Minnesota certainly wants her. I'm guessing she has a wait and see attitude because it would be hard for her to pass up the chance to play for her home state fans if Minnesota could draft her.
You are assuming she would be available at #2? I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Let’s assume Paige has a year as good or better than her freshman year. Do you think anyone is going to pass on her at #1? I don’t! Now, it is certainly possible that Clark may have an outstanding year too but even then, while obviously possible, it’s certainly not a given that she would be picked over Paige. I doubt she would base her decision (if it was based on going to Minnesota) on anything but a sure thing!

Reaction Score
One thing I hate about the extra year of eligibility is the havoc it potentially plays on recruiting. One thing we need to remember is everyone can't really come back that could, or we would be over the limit and need to "encourage" a player or two to transfer. We have 14 and two 2024 recruits already committed, so that is 16 if everyone that could return did.

Now I expect Geno has a much better idea, or at least more knowledge about what factors are most important in individual players decisions, but it is a nightmare for planning purposes. I think the odds are very good that one of those will leave, but that isn't enough if we want to recruit any additional 2024 recruits, including Strong, Carlton, Koval or anyone else. Every additional 2024 recruit means one more needs to leave.

It is also very hard on already committed recruits if a star at their position decides to return and potentially pushes back your opportunity for major playing time for a year. Overall this well intended change as a result of Covid has complicated the decisions and uncertainty regarding recruiting, transfers, and the WNBA draft.

Obviously with major coaching changes you sometimes have the awkward situation where a new coach wants to clean house, encourage the players they didn't recruit to leave, knowing that with immediate eligibility for transfers they can remake a roster overnight.

The good news is after this year some stability will return as the extra year option expires, but for now I hope the players who would like to return can, that this does not limit our ability to recruit a 2024 player we really want, and that the numbers crunch doesn't force Geno to have to in essence show a current player the door, or encourage them to transfer. With the current rules all of those at the same time might not be possible because of the extra eligibility rule.
I believe Covid year players do not count against the scholarship limits!

Reaction Score
UConn head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma said star guard Paige Bueckers is "90%" recovered from tearing her left ACL last summer and he expects her to be fully ready by the start of the regular season. "If she's not ready to go by then, then I'm not ready to go," Auriemma said Tuesday. "Let's put it that way." Auriemma praised Bueckers for the work she has put in as she continues to recover from the injury that sidelined her for the entirety of the 2022-2023 season and said he has been impressed by what he has seen from her in recent months.

These knee injuries are just so devastating for these young people. It's been almost a year, yet she's still just "90%" recovered. Just cringe, and feel so bad for her parents. It had to hurt them as much as it hurt Paige. Wishing her no more injuries. Whatever happens with the win/loss columns.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
These knee injuries are just so devastating for these young people. It's been almost a year, yet she's still just "90%" recovered. Just cringe, and feel so bad for her parents. It had to hurt them as much as it hurt Paige. Wishing her no more injuries. Whatever happens with the win/loss columns.
The glass is 90% full! Let’s stop focusing on the 10% empty part. Paige has been practicing with her teammates and, per Geno, looks better than she ever has. She’s stronger, fitter and will most certainly be ready to face the rigors of the season once games begin in earnest some 5 months from now.

As I have said before, when I hear how devastating a torn ACL can be to a young athlete, two words come to mind….Sue Bird!!!

Reaction Score
I’ll be shocked if Paige leaves next year. I believe she will stay at least one more year. She doesn’t need the money, she can either make another attempt at a championship or go for the repeat, she can give another year to strengthening both her repaired knee and her body before embarking on her Pro career, and she can play another year with Azzi!
If y'all win the championship this year, I predict she will go to the W. If not, I think she stays to seek her collegiate goal of winning a championship.

She (and Azzi) have both gained the knowledge that her next game could be her last, She's not the invulnerable youth she was as a freshman. She has a goal to play the the league and I would think she will move on. Her NIL money is not gonna' disappear. She will carry her endorsements with her.

Reaction Score
Minnesota needs Paige. Would love to see her play with Pheesa. But Minnesota is looking better after a horrendous start to the season. Doubt they will get the 2 pick.

Reaction Score
You are assuming she would be available at #2? I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Let’s assume Paige has a year as good or better than her freshman year. Do you think anyone is going to pass on her at #1? I don’t! Now, it is certainly possible that Clark may have an outstanding year too but even then, while obviously possible, it’s certainly not a given that she would be picked over Paige. I doubt she would base her decision (if it was based on going to Minnesota) on anything but a sure thing!
Seattle seems destined for the 1 pick.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If y'all win the championship this year, I predict she will go to the W. If not, I think she stays to seek her collegiate goal of winning a championship.

She (and Azzi) have both gained the knowledge that her next game could be her last, She's not the invulnerable youth she was as a freshman. She has a goal to play the the league and I would think she will move on. Her NIL money is not gonna' disappear. She will carry her endorsements with her.
Paige marches to the beat of a different drummer. While I certainly hope that UConn wins it all this coming season, I am not so sure she would opt to turn pro afterwards. She loves her teammates and would stand to make millions more from NIL by leading the Huskies to #12.

In addition, Paige is very serious about using her platform to advance causes she cares about. While that won’t stop in the W, if UConn wins #12, Paige will once again be the face of WCBB, as she was after her freshman year. Having come back from injury, her platform will be greater than ever.

Reaction Score
I haven't looked back on previous years, but the 2024 WNBA draft presents an interesting discussion. The top 5 ranked HS recruits in 2020 were Paige, Caitlin Clark, Cam Brink, Angel Reese and Kamila Cardosa. Although it is purely speculative, I could see these players as the first 5 picks for 2024 if they all opted to be eligible and remain healthy. Obviously, the order would depend on the franchise and specific needs. In any case, it would be an infusion of singular talents and personalities and should generate tremendous excitement and buzz

I wonder if we compared previous HS recruitment rankings and WNBA drafts, would they be so aligned. Recruiting is an inexact science and so many variables come into play that impact whether a highly ranked recruit lives up to their hype. In the case above, I would say that the play and production of the aforementioned five has been a home run for all the prognosticators - not that it was too difficult to make that call.

Reaction Score
Seattle seems destined for the 1 pick.

Even with the worst record, which looks like Phoenix will have, there's is no guarantee of the #1 pick. I believe and someone can correct me if I am wrong, both Phoenix and Seattle made the playoffs last year. Minnesota not so much. The lottery goes by the last 2 seasons records.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey...I'm like Will Rogers. All I KNOW is what I read here in the Boneyard. :cool: I'm going to sit back and enjoy the coming season and see what happens after the tournament is over. Whatever they decide, Geno will make it work. In Geno I trust. :)
Time always tells doesn't it. But it's so much more fun to speculate. Wonder whether Paige or Caitlyn Clark may be the number 1 projected pick. NIL being what it is Paige she might prefer one more year of charter and an adoring fan base. I sure hope so. There are a few athletic guard/forwards who could come to the top in the draft too. Of course, in the WNBA where you are drafted in the first round is meaningful for 1 night only.

The most important thing is that Paige plays a whole season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Even with the worst record, which looks like Phoenix will have, there's is no guarantee of the #1 pick. I believe and someone can correct me if I am wrong, both Phoenix and Seattle made the playoffs last year. Minnesota not so much. The lottery goes by the last 2 seasons records.
You are correct, they take the last two seasons record and the one with the worst record gets the #1 pick. There has been a discussion of doing the lottery pick like the NBA does, but I believe that the owners want to keep it as it is.

Reaction Score
You are correct, they take the last two seasons record and the one with the worst record gets the #1 pick. There has been a discussion of doing the lottery pick like the NBA does, but I believe that the owners want to keep it as it is.

I thought the worst 3 teams have a lottery.

Reaction Score

It's the top 4 worse teams that have a lottery
So there is hope for Minnesota, but not much as Phee is looking like an MVP candidate. Dorka also contributing mightily. Reeves picked up gems WAY lower than they should have been drafted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom