UConn's Paige Bueckers is expected to be OK for the start of the season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's Paige Bueckers is expected to be OK for the start of the season

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I believe Covid year players do not count against the scholarship limits!
They do count against the scholarship limits.

The Covid year - that is, the year that does not count against eligibility - was 2020-2021.

Those seniors in 2020-2021 who played that season and then came back and played for their same team in 2021-2022 did not count against the team`s scholarship limit for that season, 2021-2022, but that was a one time thing.

Potentially headache city although having Paige, Aaliyah and/or Nika back for another run is about as nice a "problem" as a coach could have.

Reaction Score
They do count against the scholarship limits.

The Covid year - that is, the year that does not count against eligibility - was 2020-2021.

Those seniors in 2020-2021 who played that season and then came back and played for their same team in 2021-2022 did not count against the team`s scholarship limit for that season, 2021-2022, but that was a one time thing.

Potentially headache city although having Paige, Aaliyah and/or Nika back for another run is about as nice a "problem" as a coach could have.

What about Aubrey?

Reaction Score
UConn head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma said star guard Paige Bueckers is "90%" recovered from tearing her left ACL last summer and he expects her to be fully ready by the start of the regular season. "If she's not ready to go by then, then I'm not ready to go," Auriemma said Tuesday. "Let's put it that way." Auriemma praised Bueckers for the work she has put in as she continues to recover from the injury that sidelined her for the entirety of the 2022-2023 season and said he has been impressed by what he has seen from her in recent months.

"I think it's going to be when she feels mentally ready, not physically ready, mentally," he said. "Physically, [she's] 90%, she said 90%. If we were in the Final Four this coming week, you think she'd play? Hell yeah, but this isn't April."

BINGO. This is the key. ACL injuries are notorious for the psychological component because of all the cutting and start/stop accelerating athletes need to do, especially in basketball. She might be physically healed 100% but it's going to take her at LEAST half a season to get to the point where she trusts her knee and her movements on the court. There's just no way around that. If everything goes well I'd expect we start to see some semblance of her 'old' self maybe halfway through the conference schedule.

These injuries are 18-24 month propositions, all told. It's actually somewhat similar to UCL replacement surgery ('Tommy John') for pitchers. Usually don't get their stuff back for a year after the graft heals because of the lack of certainty about cutting their arm speed loose.

Reaction Score
"I think it's going to be when she feels mentally ready, not physically ready, mentally," he said. "Physically, [she's] 90%, she said 90%. If we were in the Final Four this coming week, you think she'd play? Hell yeah, but this isn't April."

BINGO. This is the key. ACL injuries are notorious for the psychological component because of all the cutting and start/stop accelerating athletes need to do, especially in basketball. She might be physically healed 100% but it's going to take her at LEAST half a season to get to the point where she trusts her knee and her movements on the court. There's just no way around that. If everything goes well I'd expect we start to see some semblance of her 'old' self maybe halfway through the conference schedule.

These injuries are 18-24 month propositions, all told. It's actually somewhat similar to UCL replacement surgery ('Tommy John') for pitchers. Usually don't get their stuff back for a year after the graft heals because of the lack of certainty about cutting their arm speed loose.
Kia Nurses comments about her own ACL recovery really shine a light on this.

Reaction Score
The glass is 90% full! Let’s stop focusing on the 10% empty part. Paige has been practicing with her teammates and, per Geno, looks better than she ever has. She’s stronger, fitter and will most certainly be ready to face the rigors of the season once games begin in earnest some 5 months from now.

As I have said before, when I hear how devastating a torn ACL can be to a young athlete, two words come to mind….Sue Bird!!!

Yes, I was so happy to read that she retired before she reinjured it. I've been a nervous wreck the last 14 or so years. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The glass is 90% full! Let’s stop focusing on the 10% empty part. Paige has been practicing with her teammates and, per Geno, looks better than she ever has. She’s stronger, fitter and will most certainly be ready to face the rigors of the season once games begin in earnest some 5 months from now.

As I have said before, when I hear how devastating a torn ACL can be to a young athlete, two words come to mind….Sue Bird!!!

From Kia Nurse last night. She torn her ACL in the fall 2021 and still isn’t back in the Summer of 2023. ACL recovery is different for everyone, I think it’s unfair to expect Paige to be close to her old self at the start of the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From Kia Nurse last night. She torn her ACL in the fall 2021 and still isn’t back in the Summer of 2023. ACL recovery is different for everyone, I think it’s unfair to expect Paige to be close to her old self at the start of the season.

Well you’re probably correct since Geno says she’s better than ever….

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Paige is way ahead of where Kia was at 11 months post-surgery. Way ahead.

Athletes' bodies are different and not all ACL tears are the same. I trust what Geno and Paige tell us rather than some uninformed poster who tends toward the negative.

Reaction Score
Geno hasn’t seen her play a game yet… because she hasn’t played. No one knows how long it will take her to adjust in games until she plays. That’s Kia’s point, it’s more than just physical recovery and getting your skills back, there’s a big adjustment to returning to play in a game.

Reaction Score

Athletes' bodies are different and not all ACL tears are the same. I trust what Geno and Paige tell us rather than some uninformed poster who tends toward the negative.
Kia was also 11 months post surgery almost a year ago. She’s now 20-21 months post surgery and adjusting playing in games.

Some played recover quickly and like both has happened. But some take nearly two years to get to where they were pre-injury. No one knows how Paige will be and either way will be ok.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I absolutely agree. But we do have numerous “would be” physicians here on the BY, many of whom lean towards the Dark Side.

One week ago Friday I had my left knee scoped to clean out a torn meniscus, among other things. I started PT on Sunday, stationary biking on Monday, cut the lawn on Tuesday and so on….and I’m not remotely close to Paige’s level of fitness or her commitment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno hasn’t seen her play a game yet… because she hasn’t played. No one knows how long it will take her to adjust in games until she plays. That’s Kia’s point, it’s more than just physical recovery and getting your skills back, there’s a big adjustment to returning to play in a game.
Kia is Kia. Paige has come back from injury before and been spectacular. I expect nothing less from her this time.

Reaction Score
I hope everyone on the BY understand that several different outcomes are possible: some players never really come back, some come back 100% but it takes longer than 1 year, some come back within a year as good or better than ever. There are multiple examples of each outcome.

I sincerely hope Paige falls into that last category. Her determination is going to help. After her first injury, which was pretty serious, she came back, played hard, even though she was something less than 100%. I anticipate this badass attitude this time around too. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
I’m perfectly happy if Paige saves her best for March…:)
I’m not gonna say what a lot of us are thinking … oh heck, it’s a darn good thing Nika is ready to start at pg and lead this team.

I think at this point Paige understands rehab reality better than anyone. She rehabbed from ankle surgery two summers ago and may have comeback too hard. Then the ND game happened. She personally torched the Irish in that game and it cost her… but they pissed her off.

Then she rehabbed from that surgery and came back hobbled but carried the team to the NC game. And then over the summer she played too hard trying to get over what must have been a bitter disappointment and it cost her an entire season.

In that last presser at the GHO — I know that’s not exactly the name anymore :) — Geno said two things. 1) Paige looks stronger than ever right now and 2) she is much smarter about rehab and practices in general. If I recall the line correctly it was something like she doesn’t try to go 110% in every practice anymore and he hopes the others follow her example.

I have every expectation that in the November-December games, Nika will play like she’s been “fired out of a cannon” so Paige and Azzi won’t have to. Nika Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey will bring the fire until January. I won’t be surprised if Geno limits those two to 20 mins/g each.

It will be like making a lasagne. You take your time preparing the sauce and the pasta, get the meat and cheese ready, assemble the whole… and then you put it all in the oven and turn up the heat!

Reaction Score
I’m not gonna say what a lot of us are thinking … oh heck, it’s a darn good thing Nika is ready to start at pg and lead this team.

I think at this point Paige understands rehab reality better than anyone. She rehabbed from ankle surgery two summers ago and may have comeback too hard. Then the ND game happened. She personally torched the Irish in that game and it cost her… but they pissed her off.

Then she rehabbed from that surgery and came back hobbled but carried the team to the NC game. And then over the summer she played too hard trying to get over what must have been a bitter disappointment and it cost her an entire season.

In that last presser at the GHO — I know that’s not exactly the name anymore :) — Geno said two things. 1) Paige looks stronger than ever right now and 2) she is much smarter about rehab and practices in general. If I recall the line correctly it was something like she doesn’t try to go 110% in every practice anymore and he hopes the others follow her example.

I have every expectation that in the November-December games, Nika will play like she’s been “fired out of a cannon” so Paige and Azzi won’t have to. Nika Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey will bring the fire until January. I won’t be surprised if Geno limits those two to 20 mins/g each.

It will be like making a lasagne. You take your time preparing the sauce and the pasta, get the meat and cheese ready, assemble the whole… and then you put it all in the oven and turn up the heat!
Except with all of our big early season games, you might want to use a microwave to speed it up! Ha!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Or, to build on Geno's music analogy: Nika, Aaliyah, Ayanna, and Aubrey will be Joey, Dee Dee, Johnny, and Marky (the Ramones who always played fast), and Paige and Azzi will be Walter Becker and Donald Fagan (Steely Dan, who always played smooth).

Reaction Score
Would like all to come back and get back to back National titles. And to go out with more credibility. Just a nice thought.
Huskies Forever.
We have the talent to make a thunderous run this year. I can't wait to see them firing on all cylinders again.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Though I’m leery about NIL’s long term impact on college athletics, at least in this instance I’m grateful for it because it seems to remove or lessen a financial incentive for Paige, and perhaps others, to leave after this coming season.

The Biggest NIL Earners in Women’s Sports From 2022​

In the era of college athletes cashing in, women seem to be quickly benefiting from the chance to monetize while in the college spotlight. It’s been almost 18 months since the NCAA adopted its name, image and likeness policy, with 2022 being the first full year student-athletes have been able to profit off their personal brand.

Through November 2022, according to NIL marketplace and tech company Opendorse, football and men’s basketball were the top-earning sports, followed by women’s basketball, women’s volleyball and softball. While the majority of college athletes are not making anything close to a real salary, a few in women’s sports have seen some major pay days. Here are some of the biggest deals from 2022.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom