UConn's Latest Try For Power 5 Conference Fails | The Boneyard

UConn's Latest Try For Power 5 Conference Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not at all surprising, there were several people who said from the beginning that it would be unlikely for them to expand just to grab money for several reasons, but mainly because it would piss off Fox and ESPN by costing them more for a "devalued" product.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Posted in another thread, but I can't consider this a fail if no one else was selected ahead of UConn.
Sorry, didn't see it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sorry, didn't see it.
I think the article deserves it's own thread. The first part of my comment related solely to the second part of my comment.

I'm waiting for the the first basketball-only fans to point out that the football team is preventing the basketball team from getting into a power conference, without realizing the irony.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
So I guess the Big 12 will continue to be a poorly named conference until its eventual demise....math not a big subject at Big 12 HQ.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'm actually glad this is now over and we can focus on building back out FB program and get back to winning/filling the Rent on a regular basis and getting in shape for an invite from the ACC or B1G when that comes up again... The Big XII (while would have been cool and a novelty to see schools like Texas and Oklahoma roll into town) was a bad idea for us from the start. Just ask West Virgina how that whole move is working out for them... We'll be fine. The sky ISN'T falling and we're NOT going back to the Big East in sports and FCS in football as some have already claimed.

Reaction Score
Good. Just gives the AAC more time to prove they belong in the Power 6. Really glad it looks like the conference will stay intact for a bit longer. That can only help UConn as the Huskies need more time to get the football side of things cranking.

Reaction Score
Did the cincy big 12 printer leak turn out to be a fake?

Spit out a new run...
01.jpg

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
This title is a far more accurate representation of what happened.
I guess the Courant realized that the original title did not really reflect what occurred. I agree, but it was the only local article I could find at the time.

Reaction Score
Title change again... Big 12 Won't Expand, UConn's Power Five Dreams On Hold; Herbst Says She's Not Surprised

>>Benedict was asked if he was upset that ESPN, a Bristol-based corporation that gets tax breaks from the state of Connecticut, might have played a role in the Big 12's efforts to nix expansion, which would have cost the network more money.

"Not truly understanding all the ins and outs of their contracts and their conference relationships, it would be hard for me to comment on whether it was good idea or bad idea," Benedict said. "ESPN is a partner in our [American] league. I think ESPN has done an amazing job helping college athletics.

"I would say I am very interested in having a dialogue with ESPN now that this is over and talking about how we can partner with them. We are the state flagship university. They reside in the state of Connecticut. I think we should have a relationship like many other universities do with big corporate partners do in their states. I look forward to those conversations.<<

Reaction Score
"I would say I am very interested in having a dialogue with ESPN now that this is over and talking about how we can partner with them. We are the state flagship university. They reside in the state of Connecticut. I think we should have a relationship like many other universities do with big corporate partners do in their states. I look forward to those conversations."
Sweet.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is bound to be poached. As soon as it happens, I'd like to see the American get aggressive by adding the Big 12 remanents to become a 16-team P5 conference; we'll likely remain on the outside looking in if they are able to rebuild.
Might be our best chance at salvation assuming ND and WV end up in the ACC and Texas and Kansas go to the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom