UConn's Latest Try For Power 5 Conference Fails | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's Latest Try For Power 5 Conference Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's to hoping that West Virginia or Baylor go unbeaten and are left out of the playoffs.

Reaction Score
f-espn-logo.jpg

I'm just wondering why this doesn't have more likes.

Reaction Score
Watch for FSU and Clemson to make moves out of ACC and open the door for UCONN and maybe Cinn???

I would ask you if you really believe this, but we've already established that you're not particularly bright . . .

Reaction Score
Title change again... Big 12 Won't Expand, UConn's Power Five Dreams On Hold; Herbst Says She's Not Surprised

>>Benedict was asked if he was upset that ESPN, a Bristol-based corporation that gets tax breaks from the state of Connecticut, might have played a role in the Big 12's efforts to nix expansion, which would have cost the network more money.

"Not truly understanding all the ins and outs of their contracts and their conference relationships, it would be hard for me to comment on whether it was good idea or bad idea," Benedict said. "ESPN is a partner in our [American] league. I think ESPN has done an amazing job helping college athletics.

"I would say I am very interested in having a dialogue with ESPN now that this is over and talking about how we can partner with them. We are the state flagship university. They reside in the state of Connecticut. I think we should have a relationship like many other universities do with big corporate partners do in their states. I look forward to those conversations.<<
I never was a "donuts and monitoring" guy and I don't want anyone to think I think that everyone in the administration is not doing everything they can (the Big 12 presentation proves that if there was ever any doubt) Those conversations have yet to start? No conversations happening while ESPN was playing an active role in keeping the status quo which slowly kills UConn day by day? I get that this was hardly a deathblow, but why are these conversations appropriate now, after the fact, and after everyone's time and resourses were wasted?

Reaction Score
I am not convinced that they won't add at least 2 teams in a year or two. It just won't be done through this type of process. It will be like most other expansions...under the table/back door. In the meantime UCONN and the AAC need to focus on developing top notch programs in football AND basketball. As I stated before the idea that this has not become a very good basketball league with UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis and newcomers SMU and Houston and Tulsa and the 2Florida schools that were coming on a few years ago is just absurd. That needs to be a high priority for the immediate future and athletic departments need to hold their coaches to a very high standard on this front. This league ought to have 4 bids every year with the potential to get 6-7 sometimes. It should absolutely be on the same level as any P5 league in hoops.

Reaction Score
Zero chance. USC will block Clemson and UF block FSU.

Plus, why would FSU and Clemson want to deal with trying to get to the playoff from the SEC. ACC much easier path.

Best chance is sooner than 2024-25 ND wants to join ACC as full-time member so it can challenge for the Champ game knowing getting to playoff with being conf champion will get harder and we are their partner.

It is fairly common knowledge that both FSU and Clemson have had dialogue with the SEC. Mutual interest, most likely scenario. After extending footprint south to Maryland, Big10 has interest in Clemson. Columbia, SC media has reported this for months.

Reaction Score
That FSU/Clemson to the SEC was urban legend. Or if they did make the call the answer was one word...NO! Florida didn't want them. South Carolina was absolutely opposed to both. To say nothing of places like Old Miss and Miss State. It's hard enough to climb over Alabama Florida Auburn Georgia LSU. Why would you make it harder?

Reaction Score
Good. Just gives the AAC more time to prove they belong in the Power 6. Really glad it looks like the conference will stay intact for a bit longer. That can only help UConn as the Huskies need more time to get the football side of things cranking.
Yes maybe 5 more fans will show up.

Reaction Score
I have always believed that tha ACCis the best landing spot for us. And my guess is that Notre Dame will ultimately either join or walk away sooner rather than later. They are discovering that they need to go 12-0 to get consideration for the playoff just as if they were in a G5 league and playing 6 ACC games hurts more than it helps.

Reaction Score
Yes maybe 5 more fans will show up.
Hey, the AAC is still a young conference but they are nipping at the heels of the P-5. The more a Houston knocks off what at the beginning of the season was a predicted playoff contender in Oklahoma the better the whole league is perceived. Last year it was Temple taking down Penn St early in the season that gave the conference some added street cred. Next year maybe someone else. Bottom line is the league is heading in the right direction and UConn needs to hold up their end of the bargain which I think they will. I still believe the Huskies could end up 7-5 or better this year and win a bowl game. They need to get on a nice long winning streak and the seats will start filling up.

Reaction Score
If ND joins the ACC, Navy or Cinn will be the 16th team. Temple and WVU would also be considered ahead of us. The southern schools want nothing to do with another New England team. We're just too close to BC and with BC being bad along with SU being bad in football, adding UConn will not help that situation. Cinn brings a new recruiting area and links ND closer to the ACC territory. Navy gets the ACC back into the DC area that they lost when Maryland left. Temple is in a huge TV market and WVU is an established football program with a strong following.

Reaction Score
Zero chance. USC will block Clemson and UF block FSU.

Plus, why would FSU and Clemson want to deal with trying to get to the playoff from the SEC. ACC much easier path.

Best chance is sooner than 2024-25 ND wants to join ACC as full-time member so it can challenge for the Champ game knowing getting to playoff with being conf champion will get harder and we are their partner.
Let's see now, how about $$$$$$$. How much do SEC member schools make each season vs ACC schools?
What makes the world go around? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reaction Score
I would ask you if you really believe this, but we've already established that you're not particularly bright . . .
The brain power it must take for you to come up with your responses........does your head hurt when you finish typing?

Reaction Score
The Clemson and Florida State who signed a GOR until 2035 and have never had any conversations with the SEC?

HFD banned but this troll isn't?
Funny, Tuesday 10/18 on College Sports Channel /Sirius Radio Coach Rick Nueheisal (sp?) had lengthy commentary on Conference realignment including FSU and Clemson leaving ACC (hummmm) and the continued degrading position of the Big12 as a whole. He listed several Big12 member schools looking to bail out right now. But the basement dwellers in East Windsor and Norwich know more.

Reaction Score
I think we are likely to see 8 of the 10 Big 12 members end up in the remaining 4 power conferences to bring each to 16 teams. I believe the Big 12 can be dissolved by a vote of 8 members thus getting out of the GOR. ESPN & Fox will have a lot to say about who goes where, but here are few likely possibilities.

Texas, TT, OU, OK St - PAC 12
That deal almost happened 6 years ago

Kansas - B1G

TCU & Baylor
Tougher calls, but SEC could use another Texas school or 2.

WVU - ACC
Football schools want WVU and they reunite the original Big East teams. ND and WVU are very strong football additions that the ACC really needs.

Reaction Score
If ND joins the ACC, Navy or Cinn will be the 16th team. Temple and WVU would also be considered ahead of us. The southern schools want nothing to do with another New England team. We're just too close to BC and with BC being bad along with SU being bad in football, adding UConn will not help that situation. Cinn brings a new recruiting area and links ND closer to the ACC territory. Navy gets the ACC back into the DC area that they lost when Maryland left. Temple is in a huge TV market and WVU is an established football program with a strong following.
If UConn starts winning most of its FB games and makes it into the top 25 ranking -- which is not impossible -- the ACC may be very eager to have UConn join.

Reaction Score
The brain power it must take for you to come up with your responses...does your head hurt when you finish typing?

Ok, so you actually believe it. That says more about you than me. Thanks for confirming what we already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom