UConn's Latest Try For Power 5 Conference Fails | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Latest Try For Power 5 Conference Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The money AAC teams get from the networks will be eaten up by coaching contracts. This will just accelerate the speed at which good coaches especially in football leave for more funded pastures. Nice to see the networks are paying the Big 12 extra to not expand. Hate ESPN.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
f-espn-logo.jpg

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Title change again... Big 12 Won't Expand, UConn's Power Five Dreams On Hold; Herbst Says She's Not Surprised

>>Benedict was asked if he was upset that ESPN, a Bristol-based corporation that gets tax breaks from the state of Connecticut, might have played a role in the Big 12's efforts to nix expansion, which would have cost the network more money.

"Not truly understanding all the ins and outs of their contracts and their conference relationships, it would be hard for me to comment on whether it was good idea or bad idea," Benedict said. "ESPN is a partner in our [American] league. I think ESPN has done an amazing job helping college athletics.

"I would say I am very interested in having a dialogue with ESPN now that this is over and talking about how we can partner with them. We are the state flagship university. They reside in the state of Connecticut. I think we should have a relationship like many other universities do with big corporate partners do in their states. I look forward to those conversations.<<
Just wanted to mention this again....
f-espn-logo.jpg

Reaction Score
Title change again... Big 12 Won't Expand, UConn's Power Five Dreams On Hold; Herbst Says She's Not Surprised

>>Benedict was asked if he was upset that ESPN, a Bristol-based corporation that gets tax breaks from the state of Connecticut, might have played a role in the Big 12's efforts to nix expansion, which would have cost the network more money.

"Not truly understanding all the ins and outs of their contracts and their conference relationships, it would be hard for me to comment on whether it was good idea or bad idea," Benedict said. "ESPN is a partner in our [American] league. I think ESPN has done an amazing job helping college athletics.

"I would say I am very interested in having a dialogue with ESPN now that this is over and talking about how we can partner with them. We are the state flagship university. They reside in the state of Connecticut. I think we should have a relationship like many other universities do with big corporate partners do in their states. I look forward to those conversations.<<
Benedict knows exactly the ins and outs. He's on a leash because our state leaders lack the balls to get after them because they fear they will leave the state. I call BS and stop pissing our tax dollars away on extortionists. I can't believe we cut a deal without forcing their hand on a P5 commitment. Dealing with idiots and theieves.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
ESPN better known as Syracuse south. Man I truly dislike the heck out of them and wish the state would cut off any tax breaks for them.

Reaction Score
Well, here's some easy math. ESPN deprives UConn 2o Million a year by blocking P5 access, plus suppresses attendance limiting local business growth on games days, lowers licensing and merchandise sales. In exchange for that gift, we give them tax subsidies and incentives. Meanwhile they are notorious for undermarket pay for the product privilege of working there. Ephing brilliant.

Reaction Score
Not so great news. Looks like UConn and nobody else is going no where for awhile . We have to make the best of a bad situation. It's been written in other posts that AAC should invite BYU, Boise St. Air Force and Army to make 16 teams. Make it the best P6 you can be, get a TV deal to help keep the boat a float and hope for a invite in the future.

Reaction Score
Follow the money. I'd guarantee B12 got $$ to stay at 10. So, they got the $$ just by threatening expansion. Not a bad move for them ..... until they implode

Not at all surprising, there were several people who said from the beginning that it would be unlikely for them to expand just to grab money for several reasons, but mainly because it would piss off Fox and ESPN by costing them more for a "devalued" product.

Reaction Score
Follow the money. I'd guarantee B12 got $$ to stay at 10. So, they got the $$ just by threatening expansion. Not a bad move for them ..... until they implode
It's an unethical move, but there is no honor among thieves.

Reaction Score
I agree with all that is being said about ESPN. However, this may be a blessing that the B12 didn't opt for expansion. Right now UConn doesn't match up with Houston, Cincy, USF and others. This buys the Huskies time to tool up in football. Priority #1: get an offensive minded coach (or at least keep Bobby-Boy away from any decisions as they pertain to UConn having the ball). Give OC (if they keep BD) full control over recruiting so that UConn can start bringing in playmakers.

Bottom line, is that UConn needs to make football attractive for the next round of CR, whenever that occurs.

Reaction Score
I think adding Boise St & BYU is a great move. The best business decision is to make the AAC the best of the rest and force a playoff expansion to 8 teams with an automatic bid for the 6 big conferences plus 2 at large.

To improve the TV revenue beyond what Boise & BYU would bring, look at UNLV & SDSU. and Army are also possibilities that will bring political strength to get the playoffs expanded.

Reaction Score
ESPN and/or Fox Sports would have been on the hook for big $'s if this Conference expansion went through. Their business decision must have been the potential candidates to join the Big12 would not justify the multi million $ additional costs.

Did we really want to plan road trips to Lubbock, TX and Ames, IA? ACC is best landing spot for UCONN for football and ALL SPORTS.
Natural rivalries in place. Closer, easier travel. Opportunity to be more competitive sooner in football. Watch for FSU and Clemson to make moves out of ACC and open the door for UCONN and maybe Cinn???

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
ESPN and/or Fox Sports would have been on the hook for big $'s if this Conference expansion went through. Their business decision must have been the potential candidates to join the Big12 would not justify the multi million $ additional costs.

Did we really want to plan road trips to Lubbock, TX and Ames, IA? ACC is best landing spot for UCONN for football and ALL SPORTS.
Natural rivalries in place. Closer, easier travel. Opportunity to be more competitive sooner in football. Watch for FSU and Clemson to make moves out of ACC and open the door for UCONN and maybe Cinn???
I'd like to see that.....

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson aren't moving anywhere, but just to play along, where would they go? Certainly, not to the SEC which already includes Florida and USC. Big 10? Nyet! Pac 12? Nyet! Big 12, even further on the way to self-immolation? Nyet!

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson aren't moving anywhere, but just to play along, where would they go? Certainly, not to the SEC which already includes Florida and USC. Big 10? Nyet! Pac 12? Nyet! Big 12, even further on the way to self-immolation? Nyet!
It is fairly common knowledge that both FSU and Clemson have had dialogue with the SEC. Mutual interest, most likely scenario. After extending footprint south to Maryland, Big10 has interest in Clemson. Columbia, SC media has reported this for months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is fairly common knowledge that both FSU and Clemson have had dialogue with the SEC. Mutual interest, most likely scenario. After extending footprint south to Maryland, Big10 has interest in Clemson. Columbia, SC media has reported this for months.

The Clemson and Florida State who signed a GOR until 2035 and have never had any conversations with the SEC?

HFD banned but this troll isn't?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

ACC wasnt expanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek