UConn's Gampel Pavilion could see $100 million renovation project under new proposal (Mike Anthony) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's Gampel Pavilion could see $100 million renovation project under new proposal (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
USF has almost 50,000 students and the cost of doing business there is massively lower there than in Connecticut. It costs under $10k to attend instate, and under $20k oos. They are not a peer.
They are a peer in conference realignment deck of card shuffling.

So what you are saying is a similar size stadium in Storrs would be higher than $340m not closer to $100,000,000?

Reaction Score
They are a peer in conference realignment deck of card shuffling.

So what you are saying is a similar size stadium in Storrs would be higher than $340m not closer to $100,000,000?
You're right, in conference realignment, even Tulane, Memphis and Duke are somehow peers.

I would expect a new CT stadium to be in a similar ballpark to Northwestern's, $800m for 35,000 seats. Pricey.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Will they finally be taking the blue banner/header net thing over the entrances and wrapping it all the way around? Please?

Reaction Score
That's what The Rent cost over 20 years ago. With mostly bench seats.
That’s why I said almost, and so you’re saying the cost to build has more than tripled in 20 years?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That’s why I said almost, and so you’re saying the cost to build has more than tripled in 20 years?
Likely more than tripled. Concrete (a massive part of the construction costs) doubled from 2000-2010; doubled again from 2010-2019 and nearly doubled again from 2019 until now (last one primarily due to a combnation COVID limiting supply lines and thhe current inflationary environment).

What would concern me most would be the site prep. The Rent was relatively affordable in large part due to the land being donated. While an on campus football stadium likely would be built on school owned land (no additional costs for land acquisition), there are a number of areas with wetland concerns in and around the campus. Site prep to stabilize the land base for a stadium and also prevent the possibility of contaminating the surrounding water table with runoff could easily run tens of millions of dollars before any construction begins.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Likely more than tripled. Concrete (a massive part of the construction costs) doubled from 2000-2010; doubled again from 2010-2019 and nearly doubled again from 2019 until now (last one primarily due to a combnation COVID limiting supply lines and thhe current inflationary environment).

What would concern me most would be the site prep. The Rent was relatively affordable in large part due to the land being donated. While an on campus football stadium likely would be built on school owned land (no additional costs for land acquisition), there are a number of areas with wetland concerns in and around the campus. Site prep to stabilize the land base for a stadium and also prevent the possibility of contaminating the surrounding water table with runoff could easily run tens of millions of dollars before any construction begins.
For what it's worth the environmental impact study done for Toscano showed no adverse impact in building in the athletic complex, which would be the ideal spot in my opinion. I am a little concerned about the potential wetlands impact of the parking, though.

Reaction Score

What would concern me most would be the site prep. The Rent was relatively affordable in large part due to the land being donated While an on campus football stadium likely would be built on school owned land (no additional costs for land acquisition), there are a number of areas with wetland concerns in and around the campus. Site prep to stabilize the land base for a stadium and also prevent the possibility of contaminating the surrounding water table with runoff could easily run tens of millions of dollars before any construction begins.
You do know why the land was donated? Tons and tons of toxic debris, not to mention WW2 defused bombs, years and years of Chance Vought & Pratt & Whitney manufacturing debris, oil, rubber, metals, chemicals, lead paint. Where do you think all that stuff went? In the 1930’s and 40’s and after the war, stuff was just buried, very deep hopefully. It would have cost UTC billions to properly reclaim those 75 acres. Residential or business development was out of the question.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You do know why the land was donated? Tons and tons of toxic debris, not to mention WW2 defused bombs, years and years of Chance Vought & Pratt & Whitney manufacturing debris, oil, rubber, metals, chemicals, lead paint. Where do you think all that stuff went? In the 1930’s and 40’s and after the war, stuff was just buried, very deep hopefully. It would have cost UTC billions to properly reclaim those 75 acres. Residential or business development was out of the question.
Since the early 1990's federal funds have been used to subsidize contaminated soil remediation and brownfield restoration. I don't doubt that any soil that had been contaminated (even if it had occurred many decades earlier) by petroleum or other chemicals or other forms of industrial waste would have had to have been professionally removed with the disposal fully documented. I also know (from what the companies that I've worked for during the past quarter century) that federal funds would have covered nearly the entirety of the costs (depending on the situation, 85%-95% if documented and supervised correctly).

I know of a handful of such projects within the northeast and numerous other projects throughout the rust belt where anywhere from $10mm to $45mm (per project) was funded by federal grants through DEEP. If the cost of doing this for the site work at Rentschler Field wasn't almost fully subsidized, someone didn't do their job (which is entirely possible).

Reaction Score
Since the early 1990's federal funds have been used to subsidize contaminated soil remediation and brownfield restoration. I don't doubt that any soil that had been contaminated (even if it had occurred many decades earlier) by petroleum or other chemicals or other forms of industrial waste would have had to have been professionally removed with the disposal fully documented. I also know (from what the companies that I've worked for during the past quarter century) that federal funds would have covered nearly the entirety of the costs (depending on the situation, 85%-95% if documented and supervised correctly).

I know of a handful of such projects within the northeast and numerous other projects throughout the rust belt where anywhere from $10mm to $45mm (per project) was funded by federal grants through DEEP. If the cost of doing this for the site work at Rentschler Field wasn't almost fully subsidized, someone didn't do their job (which is entirely possible).
I’ll pm you

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I heard they have a tank buried out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom