UConn's Freshman Mt. Rushmore | The Boneyard

UConn's Freshman Mt. Rushmore

Reaction Score
Who's on it? Or more specifically, is Caroline on it?

Caroline Ducharme has had an unexpectedly (at least to me) productive freshman campaign. But realistically, how good has it been? If we were to divvy up those coveted Mt. Rushmore spots, except restricting contenders to their freshman year only, whose busts would be carved in stone? Paige, obviously. Maya, no doubt. But who else? How does Caroline stack up thus far?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not a UConn Historian but Stewie for her playoff run

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think you would have to consider both Stewie and Stef for this list. Even though Stewie had a down phase in late January and February of her freshman year, she certainly came through in the NCAA tournament and played a crucial role in winning the NC that year.

Stef was a freshman in 2010-11 (Maya's senior year) and she was the only useful player on the team who was taller than 6-0. She wasn't as good as she later became, but she caused a lot of problems to teams which had no one to match her size. And as Geno said during the season, "She gets better by the day."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually, I think you have to put KML on it. She came off the bench her freshman season and I'm pretty sure she led the team in scoring. @MilfordHusky and I have discussed this a few times in the past. If not for her injury where she missed at least 10 games, she would have been a few ticks higher in several "all-time" categories...

And of course Maya - she was 2nd in the POY voting to Parker... as a freshman. Paige as well. Not sure about Caroline at this point - she'd be an HM for me, but not if you are going to pick out the 4 best freshmen of all time for UCONN. Also consider Sales and Abrosimova... Svetlana "I didn't come here to play defense" Abrosimova was a 3x AA I believe. Not sure how great her freshman year was tho.

Reaction Score
K.Bascom, N.Sales, Svet Abrosimova, DT, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Bria Hartley, KML, Stewie, KLS & Pheesa, Kia Nurse, Paige ... that's already too many for a Mount Rushmore, so ... I don't think

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The obvious picks:
Paige Bueckers-NPOY
Maya Moore-BE POY, 2nd in NPOY voting for AP
Breanna Stewart-F4 MOP

If only 4 spots, the others in contention for the last spot include:

Tina Charles-earned several NFOY awards I believe

Shea Ralph-NFOY

Rebecca Lobo-14ppg

Svetlana Abrosimova-14ppg, would up as go to player

Christyn Williams-AAC FOY, played very well in tournament

Diana Taurasi-Regional MOP

KML-Big East FOY

Ann Strother-very good as a freshman, big impact player in Final Four

Tamika Williams-had arguably her best season as a freshman, 13.5 ppg.

For the 4th spot I'd give it to Charles or Ralph or maybe even KML. If Ducharme keeps up her scoring through the end of the season she could be in contention but realistically I don't expect that to happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, I think you have to put KML on it. She came off the bench her freshman season and I'm pretty sure she led the team in scoring. @MilfordHusky and I have discussed this a few times in the past. If not for her injury where she missed at least 10 games, she would have been a few ticks higher in several "all-time" categories...

And of course Maya - she was 2nd in the POY voting to Parker... as a freshman. Paige as well. Not sure about Caroline at this point - she'd be an HM for me, but not if you are going to pick out the 4 best freshmen of all time for UCONN. Also consider Sales and Abrosimova... Svetlana "I didn't come here to play defense" Abrosimova was a 3x AA I believe. Not sure how great her freshman year was tho.
Kaleena led the team in scoring both of her first 2 years, ahead of Tiffany as a freshman and ahead of Stewie as a sophomore. Looking at just her collegiate career, she was one of the best. Her elbow injury and mono cost her a 3rd year as All-American, 250 career points, and 30 three-pointers. A missed box out against Notre Dame kept her--not Stewie--from being the first 4-time NCAA champion. People look at her lackluster pro career and forget that she was a huge factor in our success over her 4 years.

Reaction Score
One thing seems obvious about this thread so far. It should dispel any concern about Caroline developing swollen noggin syndrome. You're welcome, Geno.

Reaction Score

I thought Svet's famous quote was something more like 'I didn't come 3,000 miles to just set picks'

Reaction Score
[...] . Also consider Sales and Abrosimova... Svetlana "I didn't come here to play defense" Abrosimova was a 3x AA I believe. Not sure how great her freshman year was tho.
If it can help .... That Media Guide spoke about an all-star team in Russian championships, they were young players for St. Petersburg team called Force Major, aged 16 to 18 years old that ended up with great careers including Ilona Korstin & Maria Stepanova.

Attachments

• Svet Media Guide 1999.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Who's on it? Or more specifically, is Caroline on it?

Caroline Ducharme has had an unexpectedly (at least to me) productive freshman campaign. But realistically, how good has it been? If we were to divvy up those coveted Mt. Rushmore spots, except restricting contenders to their freshman year only, whose busts would be carved in stone? Paige, obviously. Maya, no doubt. But who else? How does Caroline stack up thus far?
Let you know about Paige and Caroline and Azzi is after 4 seasons. Until then this is meaningless.

Reaction Score
Since Mt Rushmore only has four spots, I think you got it!
Definitely Shea ahead of Diana as freshmen, perhaps a couple others, too.

It's Maya and Paige 1-2 one way or the other, then Stewie almost entirely because of the tournament. Tough call for the fourth spot, but it's Shea for me.

Caroline's got a way to go, but has the potential, especially if the Huskies have a good NCAA run.

PvP

Reaction Score
You have to give Caroline an Incomplete at this juncture. Her first 6 games were basically on the bench so we have only seen her true impact in 9 games but if she can continue at her current pace and if (with Paige back) the team does well in the Tournament, then we can judge her against all the rest who have complete Freshman years to evaluate. I'm rooting for her!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom