UCONN's Five All-Americans? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN's Five All-Americans?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I guess it may be because our opinions are one thing. Everybody has one, but they don't officially count. This thread, however, is about the Chairman of the Selection Committee's comments, which do count.

There is a separate thread on this board which is comparing stats to stats. Probably get your thoughts in there, much better.

IMO, it is inappropriate for the Chairman of the Selection Committee to be making statements that could influence the votes of others on the committee.

Reaction Score
IMO, it is inappropriate for the Chairman of the Selection Committee to be making statements that could influence the votes of others on the committee.

Hell yes it's ok (IMHO). Lead an argument of opinions. Making room for all.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have always wondered if anyone else has been voted as an AA during a season when they went down with an injury in the 19th game and never returned to the court for the rest of the season - playing 55.9% of her teams games. That was some serious respect shown to Sveta in 2001!
She was playing some of the best college basketball I've ever seen when she went down.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I can understand where your coming from however when the committee gets behind closed doors its going to come out anyway. I will find it very hard to keep Gabby Lou and Phessa off the first team with their play against the top teams. Stevens Dangerfield and Nurse have played great against top teams too and should be AAs. We will see what the committee decides.

Reaction Score
I will say at first I disagreed with this idea then it got me to thinking. We are very one dimensional when it comes to this voting and it just seems to be based on points and rebounds etc. Like player of the week. Teams like UConn, Baylor, ND, etc aren't top programs riding just one or two players. Any given night any of the 5 starters can be your leading scorer.

I wish they looked at consistently, minutes played, etc rather than the basics points, rebounds, assists, etc. Someone like Wilson, Mitchell, and Durr can easily be players of the year because the starters aren't as balanced in form of talent and scorers. SC depends on Willson wayyy to much and they get the ball to her because that is how they win. UConn can usually rest easy knowing that if KLS isn't on that night it may be Williams, Collier, or whoever to be a scorer. They also can have a night where 4-5 players all average over 10 points and not just have that one player that is the star every game.

Brown is the big name on BU however if you look at her numbers she is very consistent scoring typically 13-24 pts a game. On a night where she is scoring only 13 points is a night where 3-4 others also scored that much if not more. I really like the idea of looking at players on really good teams where everyone on the team is capable of scoring just like the so called star does. However, just because she is the biggest player on the team doesn't mean she is carrying the weight of rebounding. Where if Wilson isn't notching double doubles then SC either lost or had a super close game. However, I am not saying she doesn't deserve to be a 1st team AA, but that players on more balanced teams that stay consistent throughout the whole season deserve a chance to get an AA nod. When she hits the WNBA she won't be the star every night, why? Because those teams are more balanced.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I will say at first I disagreed with this idea then it got me to thinking. We are very one dimensional when it comes to this voting and it just seems to be based on points and rebounds etc. Like player of the week. Teams like UConn, Baylor, ND, etc aren't top programs riding just one or two players. Any given night any of the 5 starters can be your leading scorer.

I wish they looked at consistently, minutes played, etc rather than the basics points, rebounds, assists, etc. Someone like Wilson, Mitchell, and Durr can easily be players of the year because the starters aren't as balanced in form of talent and scorers. SC depends on Willson wayyy to much and they get the ball to her because that is how they win. UConn can usually rest easy knowing that if KLS isn't on that night it may be Williams, Collier, or whoever to be a scorer. They also can have a night where 4-5 players all average over 10 points and not just have that one player that is the star every game.

Brown is the big name on BU however if you look at her numbers she is very consistent scoring typically 13-24 pts a game. On a night where she is scoring only 13 points is a night where 3-4 others also scored that much if not more. I really like the idea of looking at players on really good teams where everyone on the team is capable of scoring just like the so called star does. However, just because she is the biggest player on the team doesn't mean she is carrying the weight of rebounding. Where if Wilson isn't notching double doubles then SC either lost or had a super close game. However, I am not saying she doesn't deserve to be a 1st team AA, but that players on more balanced teams that stay consistent throughout the whole season deserve a chance to get an AA nod. When she hits the WNBA she won't be the star every night, why? Because those teams are more balanced.

You're not wrong but you also seem to be making the case for Wilson. Wilson needs to notch double doubles and score 20+ per game for her team to win big games. Durr and Mitchell need to hit big shots for their teams to win games. Sure, it gives them an "Advantage" on individual awards but it also puts a ton of pressure on them on a night-by-night basis.

That being said, the AA selection team usually does a good job of finding the balance in a 10-person team.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong but you also seem to be making the case for Wilson. Wilson needs to notch double doubles and score 20+ per game for her team to win big games. Durr and Mitchell need to hit big shots for their teams to win games. Sure, it gives them an "Advantage" on individual awards but it also puts a ton of pressure on them on a night-by-night basis.

That being said, the AA selection team usually does a good job of finding the balance in a 10-person team.

I was making a case on both sides. I truly think Wilson is great and more than deserving. If she wasn't putting up her numbers I don't think we would talk about SC much this season. I hate that Kalani Brown hasn't been player of the week for NCAA or Big 12, yet because she is very good and very consistent. On the other hand I'm thankful we don't have to just rely on her for scoring and that any of the starters can be the leading scorer that night. I think it's why UCONN is consistently a top or the top. It's about recruiting players that do their thing and can be your star any given night. It's much harder to scout and stop those teams.

When scouting teams like SC, Louisville, Ohio State, you know if you stop this one person then you can win. Playing UConn if you try and only focus on KLS and Gabby then the other 3 starters will hurt you. I am seeing a team like that from my bears this year and it makes me proud and understand UConn's argument for having several AA's because they all do someway truly deserve it.

Reaction Score
Yes, which is exactly why I pointed that out. Youu’re preaching to the choir that JUST sang that hymnal. Apparently your game is one dimensional because you just focused on what you presumed to imply that any of the players listed are better than UCONN players. I clearly said the the voters tend to vote based on stats and point out four who are racking ‘em up. And then provided examples to support that statement.

Wow, that sure was an unnecessary use of emotion and ire.

Easttexastrash— - -I didn’t imply anything, I said that voters have to see UCONN players not go by stats! If the voters see our players hustle and skill they’ll get the votes they need!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Easttexastrash— - -I didn’t imply anything, I said that voters have to see UCONN players not go by stats! If the voters see our players hustle and skill they’ll get the votes they need!

UCONN players aren't the only ones who hustle and have skill. If you watch the Baylor team, IMO, you will also see some AA-worthy performers, so the voters need to see them play, as well as every other team. However, UCONN gets more TV coverage than most teams so the voters have more opportunities to see them play.

Reaction Score
UCONN players aren't the only ones who hustle and have skill. If you watch the Baylor team, IMO, you will also see some AA-worthy performers, so the voters need to see them play, as well as every other team. However, UCONN gets more TV coverage than most teams so the voters have more opportunities to see them play.

easttexastrash- - -IMHO there is not one Baylor player that would start for UCONN!
That goes for ND, TX, and some other top 25 teams!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There's not one player in the country that would start in place of Kalani Brown for Baylor. No player from any team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

They haven’t played anyone to prove that, hence why only Brown is on the list. The only quality team they’ve played has been UCLA, and they lost by 14. No one came to play besides Brown.

UConn has been the best team in the country this year and has beat very good teams, hence why they get the nominations. Keep in mind, the midseason list is also partial to upperclassmen and players who were on the preseason list. UCONN has 3 returning All Americans and 5 on the preseason list. They deserve their 4 spots at this point, while Baylor deserves just one. Once Baylor gets a decent win or two, then they’ll start getting some recognition.

Reaction Score
They haven’t played anyone to prove that, hence why only Brown is on the list. The only quality team they’ve played has been UCLA, and they lost by 14. No one came to play besides Brown.

UConn has been the best team in the country this year and has beat very good teams, hence why they get the nominations. Keep in mind, the midseason list is also partial to upperclassmen and players who were on the preseason list. UCONN has 3 returning All Americans and 5 on the preseason list. They deserve their 4 spots at this point, while Baylor deserves just one. Once Baylor gets a decent win or two, then they’ll start getting some recognition.

Well you can't fault Lauren on that one since she was in the Hospital. I hate that she and Kim weren't there, I truly think the outcome would have been different. I also hate that Kentucky and Stanford aren't as good as past. Those were quality teams to schedule, but you don't know a teams idenity until they play. It's a shame, but I also think she wanted/needed time to develop such a young team. Only 3 players are Juniors and Seniors the rest freshman and sophomores. However, compared to other freshmen around the country her plan has worked to an extent. Morris and Richards have really progressed. I hope to play UConn next year. With the addition of the fab five and UConns two awesome recruits hope the game will be as interesting as they have been in the past.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well you can't fault Lauren on that one since she was in the Hospital. I hate that she and Kim weren't there, I truly think the outcome would have been different. I also hate that Kentucky and Stanford aren't as good as past. Those were quality teams to schedule, but you don't know a teams idenity until they play. It's a shame, but I also think she wanted/needed time to develop such a young team. Only 3 players are Juniors and Seniors the rest freshman and sophomores. However, compared to other freshmen around the country her plan has worked to an extent. Morris and Richards have really progressed. I hope to play UConn next year. With the addition of the fab five and UConns two awesome recruits hope the game will be as interesting as they have been in the past.

Very valid points. I don't think UCLA is very strong this year and I think Baylor has a good shot to win if Cox is healthy. Big 12 has some good teams so I think we'll learn a lot about Baylor (for better or worse) in the coming weeks.

Reaction Score
Very valid points. I don't think UCLA is very strong this year and I think Baylor has a good shot to win if Cox is healthy. Big 12 has some good teams so I think we'll learn a lot about Baylor (for better or worse) in the coming weeks.

It does help to know they while playing less than teams are blowing them out like they should. Also are boasting the highest avg win margin by any team ever to start the conference. If this is what we get after losing 3 starters, a key off the bench player, post transfer out, and lose one of our only 10 now 9 players I will take it. They have played weaker conference foes thus far, but have blown them out as expected. So at least we have that to build on.

I think it says a lot about the team especially how young they are. Kind of like next year when UConn loses a lot, but that doesn't mean they wont be a top team. Other teams that loose huge classes tend to struggle and have to rebuild.

Reaction Score
Going strictly by the numbers, which AA voters tend to do, UCONN has maybe two players, IMO, who will be considered. This team is so loaded with talent that none of them will have the numbers that typically secure them AA status. None of the players are ranked in the top 50 in points, top 50 in rebounds, top 50 in assists, top 50 in steals, top 50 in FT%.

Nurse ranks 2nd and Dangerfield ranks 6th in 3-point percentage (shoot it!)
Stevens ranks 30th in FG% and Collier ranks 47th
Stevens ranks 33rd in blocks
Nurse ranks 23rd in FG%

Much of this is simply due to the overall strength of the team and good distribution, but if voters look at numbers, it would be hard to leave other high-stats players off in lieu of a UCONN player, despite knowing how talented they are and they eye test.

"Tend to do" is different than "actually do." For all the stats you are posting -- tell me which ones can you show in which Morgan Tuck was near the top at?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Tend to do" is different than "actually do." For all the stats you are posting -- tell me which ones can you show in which Morgan Tuck was near the top at?

Thank you for parsing my words. That suddenly changes things completely.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thank you for avoiding the question because maybe you realized what you said was wrong/ or said incorrectly.

You are probably right. I didn't know what I was saying. I had been drinking.

Reaction Score
LOL. That's funny.

Easttexastrash- - - That’s a cute response but does not answer my statement!
According to your other comments I guess you feel Kalani Brown would start on UCONN’s team! Well who would she replace? The two players that play her position are Collier and Williams,and both of them are better than Brown! So my original statement holds true, “no Baylor player would start for UCONN!”
Brown is a better defensive player than Azura so she may become the 6th person, but Azura is a better offensive player so I guess it depends if Geno would need offense or defense!

Reaction Score
AA is not the best players it’s the best performances over the course of the year.

Otherwise Tamika Cstchings and Svet would’ve been 1st team. No one doubted they were the best players. But they were injured.

Which UConn players have been consistently great thru the season? Those are the ones who will get the awards.
Didn't Tamika have a 70 something percent shooting average for the Year? Sveta couldn't be All American--she was a Russian!! ---

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom