UCONN's Five All-Americans? | The Boneyard

UCONN's Five All-Americans?

Reaction Score
Yes, there is another thread that gives many arm-chair opinions of this years All Americans.

This opinion is from Jose Fernandez, the Chair of the Coaches All-American Choice Committee.

Just super impressed with Jose's class act in the post-game presser (posted on another thread).

Jose appeared shell-shocked, almost at a loss for words. Yet, his character stood out possibly showing why he's Chairman:

"When I'm in that room at the Final Four...
Being the Chair...
And there's only ten slots for All Americans...
It's going to be difficult to keep Stephens and Nurse off that list...
They're going to be in the argument."

Thank you for that, Coach. And next year don't forget Dangerous!

Reaction Score
AA is not the best players it’s the best performances over the course of the year.

Otherwise Tamika Cstchings and Svet would’ve been 1st team. No one doubted they were the best players. But they were injured.

Which UConn players have been consistently great thru the season? Those are the ones who will get the awards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This (more than 3 UCONN WCBB players being in the discussion for AA) is nothing new. Even as the chair Jose is not going to get his way. 3 UCONN players will be selected for AA status even though it should be 5.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really solid comment from Jose, but while I have my blue tinted glasses and all, I can still acknowledge that there are a lot of really really good players around the country. The talent level of women players has exploded from the start of Uconn's run in the 90s.

Reaction Score
As I've stated before, 1st team AA shouldn't come
down to WHAT SCHOOL THE PLAYER PLAYS FOR but who the player is and how good she is! A player shouldn't be punished from making 1st team AA because 3 of her teammates also make AA if she is one of the elite players at her position in the nation!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There are a LOT of players having fantastic AA worthy seasons so far. More than in years past. Making a top 10 or top 15 team is not going to be easy.

Reaction Score
Jose knows he just witnessed of the defensive performance of the season to date, any player any team.

What Kia does is often not reflected on the stats sheet. As one who really wants her to have a place on the wall of honor, I consider it a blessing that the Committee Chair fully understands that.

Reaction Score
Jose knows he just witnessed of the defensive performance of the season to date, any player any team.

What Kia does is often not reflected on the stats sheet. As one who really wants her to have a place on the wall of honor, I consider it a blessing that the Committee Chair fully understands that.
Like her defensive performance yesterday.

Reaction Score
Kia may have a decent shot at AA. It helps that Jose witnessed her performance and he's the chairman. Remember how Gabby's ND game last year put her in the conversation. From what I read, Geno would have to nominate her and, given that she's a 4-year starter and Senior, he may give her the nod over another deserving player. Think Gabby would mind? Roommates and best friends leaving together with banners on the wall? If Kia keeps her 3-point average near the top of the list (and keeps shooting them) AND can be in the discussion for DPOY, I would say that's a combination worthy of strong consideration for AA. Time will tell but I think her contribution to UCONN's success is often overshadowed by flashier, offensive-minded players. Truth be told, it's a fact. However, I can't think of any player who's worked harder to improve her game on both ends of the floor for four years and Geno is aware of it. I would also imagine he has the power to decide who goes on the wall and who doesn't. We tend to think of it as an AA thing but sooner or later someone may break that mold. We'll see. The season has a long way to go. Regardless of whether or not she makes the wall, I'm sure the apex of her career would be helping Canada bring home an Olympic silver or bronze medal. Maya will make sure it's not gold.

Reaction Score
It may make the AA Committee's work much tougher if UCONN continues to play at the level they showed the USA/Division I vs SoFla yesterday! Especially vs SoCar/TX/L'ville/and SoFla again!
When you have the whole team playing like ladies "possessed" it makes it almost impossible to ignore the near-perfection!

Reaction Score
Svetlana was 1st team AA for 3 years ( 1999, 2000, & 2001 ).
There should be a place on the wall of honor for national defensive players of the year, even if she doesn’t make first team AA. Of all people, Geno should be willing to recognize the importance of defensive accomplishment over offensive headlines. Change the rule for HoH.

I felt the same way back in the day about Ricky Moore when his career ended. Nobody was more important in the NC over Duke.

Reaction Score
Watching SC vs. Missouri yesterday, I wondered if UConn players are disadvantaged.

'That Cunningham', they said. 'Aja Wilson', they crowed (well, not much yesterday).

Is it easier to become an AA if you're the only game in town? We are saying that a few deserving players from that team in Storrs will not be chosen, so I guess I have my answer.

Reaction Score
Watching SC vs. Missouri yesterday, I wondered if UConn players are disadvantaged.

'That Cunningham', they said. 'Aja Wilson', they crowed (well, not much yesterday).

Is it easier to become an AA if you're the only game in town? We are saying that a few deserving players from that team in Storrs will not be chosen, so I guess I have my answer.
Gabby last year did not just have better numbers than Aja Wilson. She outplayed her in that game and ditto as far as Brianna Turner is concerned! I guess head to head doesnt count to the voters!

Reaction Score
Jose is an excellent coach, a classy guy and had done a great job building that program. Both Jose and longtime assistant Jeff Osterman's names should probably come up more often in coaching search discussions at bigger schools.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Svetlana was 1st team AA for 3 years ( 1999, 2000, & 2001 ).
I have always wondered if anyone else has been voted as an AA during a season when they went down with an injury in the 19th game and never returned to the court for the rest of the season - playing 55.9% of her teams games. That was some serious respect shown to Sveta in 2001!

It has usually been a problem for Uconn in terms of looking at stats - but ... Uconn players have certainly overcome that issue consistently and we should not lose sight of that fact. Uconn AAs almost always have 'run of the mill' stats - never in in the top 10 of total assists, points, rebounds, steals (but usually leading in wins :cool:!!!)

I really don't think we have much to complain about over the course of the last 20 years in terms of AA and other award voting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Going strictly by the numbers, which AA voters tend to do, UCONN has maybe two players, IMO, who will be considered. This team is so loaded with talent that none of them will have the numbers that typically secure them AA status. None of the players are ranked in the top 50 in points, top 50 in rebounds, top 50 in assists, top 50 in steals, top 50 in FT%.

Nurse ranks 2nd and Dangerfield ranks 6th in 3-point percentage (shoot it!)
Stevens ranks 30th in FG% and Collier ranks 47th
Stevens ranks 33rd in blocks
Nurse ranks 23rd in FG%

Much of this is simply due to the overall strength of the team and good distribution, but if voters look at numbers, it would be hard to leave other high-stats players off in lieu of a UCONN player, despite knowing how talented they are and they eye test.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A few players that will almost assuredly not be left off of a 5-member first-team, IMO.

Wilson - top forwards
Mitchell - top guard
Brown or McCowan - two top centers

That leaves room for two more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going strictly by the numbers, which AA voters tend to do, UCONN has maybe two players, IMO, who will be considered. This team is so loaded with talent that none of them will have the numbers that typically secure them AA status. None of the players are ranked in the top 50 in points, top 50 in rebounds, top 50 in assists, top 50 in steals, top 50 in FT%.

Nurse ranks 2nd and Dangerfield ranks 6th in 3-point percentage (shoot it!)
Stevens ranks 30th in FG% and Collier ranks 47th
Stevens ranks 33rd in blocks
Nurse ranks 23rd in FG%

Much of this is simply due to the overall strength of the team and good distribution, but if voters look at numbers, it would be hard to leave other high-stats players off in lieu of a UCONN player, despite knowing how talented they are and they eye test.

easttexastrash- - - UCONN's opponents with BETTER stats than the 6 Huskies are playing 34 to 39 minutes a game to acquire those stats. UCONN's 6 are below top 50 in 25 to 35 minutes especially during AAC action if they were playing as many minutes as the opponents their stats would be comparable to those in competition for AA honors! Geno has traditionally played his studs more minutes vs OOC ranked opponents then cut back on their minutes vs the Conference foes!
Almost all of UCONN's AA's did more in less time than any other players!
Players like Kelly Mazzante of PSU for example, had all sorts of scoring records but IMHO never deserved to be a 3x Kodak AA! Stats don't tell the whole story, the AA Committee/WBCA/AP must SEE candidates play to determine their true value!
Diana Taurasi is not even the leading scorer in UCONN history because she used her talent to make her teammates better to win 3 NC's!
Mitchell of theOSU, again IMHO, doesn't deserve to be an AA just because she can score 3,000+ points! She is one dimensional, she doesn't put the same effort into her defense as she does her offense! Are you telling us that Mitchell with all her points is a BETTER BB player than Kia Nurse in 2017-2018?

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
easttexastrash- - - UCONN's opponents with BETTER stats than the 6 Huskies are playing 34 to 39 minutes a game to acquire those stats. UCONN's 6 are below top 50 in 25 to 35 minutes especially during AAC action if they were playing as many minutes as the opponents their stats would be comparable to those in competition for AA honors! Geno has traditionally played his studs more minutes vs OOC ranked opponents then cut back on their minutes vs the Conference foes!
Almost all of UCONN's AA's did more in less time than any other players!
Players like Kelly Mazzante of PSU for example, had all sorts of scoring records but IMHO never deserved to be a 3x Kodak AA! Stats don't tell the whole story, the AA Committee/WBCA/AP must SEE candidates play to determine their true value!
Diana Taurasi is not even the leading scorer in UCONN history because she used her talent to make her teammates better to win 3 NC's!
Mitchell of theOSU, again IMHO, doesn't deserve to be an AA just because she can score 3,000+ points! She is one dimensional, she doesn't put the same effort into her defense as she does her offense! Are you telling us that Mitchell with all her points is a BETTER BB player than Kia Nurse in 2017-2018?

Yes, which is exactly why I pointed that out. Youu’re preaching to the choir that JUST sang that hymnal. Apparently your game is one dimensional because you just focused on what you presumed to imply that any of the players listed are better than UCONN players. I clearly said the the voters tend to vote based on stats and point out four who are racking ‘em up. And then provided examples to support that statement.

Wow, that sure was an unnecessary use of emotion and ire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, that sure was an unnecessary use of emotion and ire.

I guess it may be because our opinions are one thing. Everybody has one, but they don't officially count. This thread, however, is about the Chairman of the Selection Committee's comments, which do count.

There is a separate thread on this board which is comparing stats to stats. Probably get your thoughts in there, much better.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

It's a double edged sword. While Cunningham and Wilson certainly get more opportunities to score than UConn players, they also certainly see more double/triple teams, junk defenses, and defensive strategies that are designed just to stop them. With UConn--you can't lay off any single starter (or Stevens). It's also a matter of pressure: Wilson knows that if she has a bad game (see: Missouri) her team is likely going to lose. Even though UConn players have very high standards for themselves, I doubt they face that same pressure on a game-to-game basis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom