UConn's Alex Karaban will throw out first pitch prior to Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway Park | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Alex Karaban will throw out first pitch prior to Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway Park

Reaction Score
You can tell by the smiles on these guys faces they are having a great time and bonding- Sets the stage for a great summer and building a foundation for an awesome year. They're gonna kick butt

Reaction Score
Red Sox first baseman Dominic Smith, nephew of Andre Lafleur, has always been a UConn men's basketball fan

BOSTON — Red Sox first baseman Dom Smith grew up a UConn men's basketball fan. His uncle, after all, is Andre Lafleur, who spent a decade on Jim Calhoun's staff, helping to win two national championships.

Smith, who caught Alex Karaban's ceremonial first pitch prior to Saturday's game against the Yankees, had spent parts of his first six seasons with the Mets. He hit .316 with 10 homers in 50 games during the COVID-shortened 2020 season, but three years later was Washington's everyday first baseman.

Not spectacular, but not bad for his "second sport."

"I love basketball, that's like my first sport," Smith said. "But, I'm a 5-11 guard, so unless I'm jumping out of the gym or shooting the lights out, it's gonna be tough for me to make it. So, I think I did choose the right sport."

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Did anyone here go to the game? I did a scoreboard message to Alex and I'm curious if/when it was played.

Reaction Score
I betcha,
if he hadn’t thrown a strike, Seth Davis would’ve bumped UConn out of his top five preseason rankings.

Reaction Score
That Alex cared enough to practice just shows how committed he is to be excellent at everything he does.
Is Boston now known as Storrs North?

Reaction Score
That Alex cared enough to practice just shows how committed he is to be excellent at everything he does.
Is Boston now known as Storrs North?
Did the baseball team help him?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It wasn't the heater he was saying he wanted to throw.
I think he decided against that, but he did throw it in there at about the letters. He said his goal was not too embarrass himself. He did that. That was a respectable throw off the rubber.

Reaction Score
I think he decided against that, but he did throw it in there at about the letters. He said his goal was not too embarrass himself. He did that. That was a respectable throw off the rubber.
Agreed. I've thrown out the first pitch at a Yard Goats game and all I cared about was not drilling the ball into the ground or over throwing the catcher. I found out I was doing this 10 minutes before and I hadn't thrown a baseball in about 5 years. Happy to say I didn't embarrass myself and reached the catcher in the air.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. I've thrown out the first pitch at a Yard Goats game and all I cared about was not drilling the ball into the ground or over throwing the catcher. I found out I was doing this 10 minutes before and I hadn't thrown a baseball in about 5 years. Happy to say I didn't embarrass myself and reached the catcher in the air.
I hear ya! Give me a weeks notice and let me figure out what a pitch feels like from an old man's body and I feel like I would do still do fine, But just tell me a couple minutes before the game and send me out there cold? I'd have no idea what that pitch might look like.

Reaction Score
Jeez Nowell looks stronger/bigger than Ball.

I saw another picture somewhere and was Ross always taller than Stewart?
Older media days…
IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2669.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon