UConn women | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What was really horrific was the defense of Saniya Chong. She was the defender who allowed so many penetrations and layups in the last minutes of regulation and into overtime when the freshman, Kia Nurse fouled out. Saniya had a nice offensive game but gave up way more on the defensive side.

For a quick girl she is not very good at keeping her "man" in front of her. Her lateral quickness is not good and if she and KLM are in the game together against a good team they may need to hide their inadequacies with some zone D.

And as for your thought on women's refs, they are typically consistently clueless. I've said that for years and it's really easy to see. What they should do once the tourney starts is take the men's ref's who aren't getting the men's tourney games so there is a semblance of refereeing going on out there. Agree with you!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

You would have thought a coach on bath salt's would have called something like that...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And as for your thought on women's refs, they are typically consistently clueless. I've said that for years and it's really easy to see. What they should do once the tourney starts is take the men's ref's who aren't getting the men's tourney games so there is a semblance of refereeing going on out there. Agree with you!
It seems the better teams get the worst refs but I think it's because the best teams have the quickest athletes. 95% of women's college basketball is played in what looks like slow motion compared to the elite teams so when these refs see UConn or Stanford or Duke or South Carolina, they call a lot of anticipatory stuff and miss a lot more because they aren't used to that level of quickness and athleticism.

I agree with intlzncster that I think Geno, deep down, is glad to get another damn streak over with and to teach the younger players that the opponents don't just roll over for the UConn jersey. Geno hates to lose, hates it with a passion, but he also hates players that are just going through the motion. Maybe the younger players, and Chong is a sophomore with minimal playing time last year, will listen a bit more in practice this week.

Reaction Score

You would have thought a coach on bath salt's would have called something like that...

I have watched the last play of that game a handful of times. Not only was the UConn floor spacing and passing just awful on the last play - where the hell was Ferris going on the baseline? Who the hell was KML passing to? - the defense after the turnover was just awful.

Specifically, look at 31 from UConn and 11 from ND. 11 was guarding 31 on the UConn turnover. When the ball gets turned over, 31 is at the ND free throw line. 11 is under the basket.

11 heads up court, and passes 31, who is planted at the free throw line. 11 ends up receiving the pass from the ND star and winning the game on the easy lay in, unguarded. Meanwhile, 31 doesn't start heading up the court until the ND star and number 11 have passed the 1/2 court line. Literally the worst defensive effort I have ever seen in a basketball game, and particularly so considering she was an upper classman and the game was huge and in the final seconds.

Reaction Score
It seems the better teams get the worst refs but I think it's because the best teams have the quickest athletes. 95% of women's college basketball is played in what looks like slow motion compared to the elite teams so when these refs see UConn or Stanford or Duke or South Carolina, they call a lot of anticipatory stuff and miss a lot more because they aren't used to that level of quickness and athleticism.

I agree with intlzncster that I think Geno, deep down, is glad to get another damn streak over with and to teach the younger players that the opponents don't just roll over for the UConn jersey. Geno hates to lose, hates it with a passion, but he also hates players that are just going through the motion. Maybe the younger players, and Chong is a sophomore with minimal playing time last year, will listen a bit more in practice this week.

A lot of that makes perfect sense. Not the fact the best teams get the worst crews but that the game gets too fast for them in comparison to their everyday games. It would seem they can't keep up with some plays and guess at times

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Mau, Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Reaction Score
Ok, just a few more things and I'm done.

1. First of all, I'm quite certain you have no idea what I would do or say following a hypothetical loss by a 'supreme' UCONN team sometime in the future. I'm certain that I am the only one who knows that. And I'm telling you how I feel and would act. If that's not enough, I don't know what to tell you.

2. I didn't miss the point of your post. I was pointing out that the WAY they lose is important, regardless of their level of talent. Even if one of the most stacked UCONN teams lost, whether because of poor shooting, or lack of effort, or another team being on fire, I would not feel embarrassed for them. Disappointed and pissed, yes, but not embarrassed.

The embarrassment stems solely from the fact they made so many mental mistakes and the quality of their play with respect to those mental mistakes was so poor, that they were a laughing stock nationally. It was so fundamentally far from proper basketball, that it was shocking. It falls first on Geno, then on the staff, then on the players.

And make no mistake, they have a very, very talented team right now. Potentially 3 First Team All Americans. They will not recruit anyone in the next 5 years who will be as good as Stewie. She might end up being a top 5 all time WBB internationally before it's said and done.

3. The upside: despite said mental mistakes and disorganization, they lost by 2 in OT on the road against one of the better teams in the country. Furthermore, their errors are wholly correctable.

4. No need to fire bombshells. In fact, the more reasonable posters are generally the most respected, except for a few wildcards. There are plenty of idiots over here.

5. The TB bashing was beyond ridiculous, yes. Hell, it still goes on. He was one of my favorite players too.

I just typed up a long email. The more I thought about it - the more I don't want to send it. And its apparent you don't want to see it. I'll just let it go. On herethe men's board - I feel like I need to throw some handgrenades (not at you- no-way no-how at you - or anyone specific) - and I don't want to do that. As you say - you're done - so am I. As youwalk on eggshells on the women's board I feel like I need to throw bombshells here. I pass/yield.

Good points. Nice discussion. I enjoyed it. I'm psyched with the people that setup the website for the husky games. I didn't bother to DVR the Dayton game so I'll see it on the website as I'll be watching that tonight or tomorrow.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For reference, I've watched the women since 1995 or so. I post on the women's board occasionally, but limit it because you've got to step on eggshells most of the time.
No, you don't have to step on eggshells. It's time for some people over there to grow up, a strange statement since most are on the north side of 60.

Reaction Score
Mau, Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Maybe at the Culinary Institute down the road in the late 70's early 80's partying there with a buddy who went there. Some good pickin's

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Actually ate there this summer.

But it is an old quote from the French Connection. In my mind it seemed to fit

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No, you don't have to step on eggshells. It's time for some people over there to grow up, a strange statement since most are on the north side of 60.
Can you imagine what would happen in these forums if the men and women's bb teams had four seasons like the football team.

This forum would be flinging pitchforks at one another and on the women's forum we'd be using pitchforks to bury several of those people.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seems more than one player took practice to heart. Total difference in intensity in Creighton game. Add KML out with sickness, Nurse starting over Chong and the defense is far superior to the Stanford game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom