UConn women | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn pretty much had three games look like this against Notre Dame 2 season ago and then licked their butts in the tourney on their way to another title.
I may have to start watching some women's basketball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN's offense was good for most of the game. Their defense was like swiss cheese much of the time. Wide open lanes and Stanford took advantage and exposed them. I was stunned the game was close, never mind a UCONN loss. Geno was not only outcoached during the game, he did not have his players prepared to play proper defense. Time and again Stanford set up 2 players at the top of the key with the ball handler behind them, and they set picks, reverse picks, screens, reverse screens, and basically caused confusion among the UCONN defenders which led to wide open shots by Stanford. Brilliant game plan by Tara.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KML's game is a lot like mine. If you leave me open, I can nail three pointers all day. This works well for me against old men. However, when I play young kids, they defend me and my shot, shut me down and embarrass me. I've learned my limitations and we've all seen KML's.

She's got way more game than people are giving her credit for. Strong as an ox, can board, pass and bang. Has gotten way better at drawing fouls than when she came in. She's a first team AA type player.

She wasn't great last night, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Reaction Score
UCONN's offense was good for most of the game. Their defense was like swiss cheese much of the time. Wide open lanes and Stanford took advantage and exposed them. I was stunned the game was close, never mind a UCONN loss. Geno was not only outcoached during the game, he did not have his players prepared to play proper defense. Time and again Stanford set up 2 players at the top of the key with the ball handler behind them, and they set picks, reverse picks, screens, reverse screens, and basically caused confusion among the UCONN defenders which led to wide open shots by Stanford. Brilliant game plan by Tara.

It was a good game plan. They challenged UConn to guard them in space. Their floor spacing was terrific and screens were well set. The other players stayed the hell away from the screener and ball handler and gave them room to operate. There was no way weak-side help was going to make it to where the ball was when it needed to. The spacing also caused UConn to rotate further than they are used to. Great game plan. Not many teams out there will trot out a line up like Stanford did with the shooters and ball handlers that the Cardinal have in their arsenal. It isn't the best Stanford team I've watched but they are very good and played a strong game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Going to disagree. KML looked flat footed and slow. It's fair to talk about her conditioning. I'd be surprised if you found any jealousy on this board. Most of the posters here range from enthusiac supporters of the woman's team to entirely disinterested. Jealousy, not so much.

Eh, there's also a good portion that take every opportunity to tell you just how pathetic WCBB is, which stems from god knows what.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can see why it's a sensitive issue, since there is a lot of talk about women with body issues, etc., but KML is an athlete, and she's not in great shape. It's not like Khalid's conditioning wasn't discussed every time he had a poor game. She's still a very good player, but I think it's hard to make an argument that she wouldn't be better if she dropped some weight.

But, most of that Khalid chatter was BS. imho though.

Reaction Score
But, most of that Khalid chatter was BS. imho though.

Really? You think that Khalid was fit when he was at UConn? He may have been a great player regardless, but you can't convince me that a basketball player can carry that much extra body fat without it affecting his game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
KML has taken a lot of grief from the women's forum posters about her weight. She gained a lot of weight to start last season even before her injury. Personally I think it's her body type. On offense she didn't score a lot but she was effective at spreading Stanfords defense and that is a valuable weapon. Geno is going to have to set up picks for her to give her better shooting options. On defense she's never been a great defender, but in this game she was really exposed. Agree with @Gurleyman on this as well. In the past with Bria Hartley and Kelly Farris this was not a major issue. If Chong improves on defense and Tuck comes back from the injury, then Geno will be able to keep KML in the line up. Otherwise he'll have to resort to more zone or put Nurse in for KML.

More likely, Nurse will be playing for Chong. Nurse is a scrapper like Faris, and will be able to fill that role given more experience over the year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Really? You think that Khalid was fit when he was at UConn? He may have been a great player regardless, but you can't convince me that a basketball player can carry that much extra body fat without it affecting his game.

I think that's his body type. I've never seen a 'fit', ripped El-Amin. It's not like he became a svelt pro or anything. He's a tubby dude.

Put it this way, whenever he had a bad game at UCONN, it wasn't because he carried too much body fat. It's because he played like crap.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was a good game plan. They challenged UConn to guard them in space. Their floor spacing was terrific and screens were well set. The other players stayed the hell away from the screener and ball handler and gave them room to operate. There was no way weak-side help was going to make it to where the ball was when it needed to. The spacing also caused UConn to rotate further than they are used to. Great game plan. Not many teams out there will trot out a line up like Stanford did with the shooters and ball handlers that the Cardinal have in their arsenal. It isn't the best Stanford team I've watched but they are very good and played a strong game.

Also note that Tara Vanderveer (regularly) prepares for this game all off season long. They watch enormous amounts of tape, put together rock solid game plans, and coach for this particular game long before it shows up on the schedule. It's not quite their Super Bowl (as they are a great program), but it's something like that.

Reaction Score
I think that's his body type. I've never seen a 'fit', ripped El-Amin. It's not like he became a svelt pro or anything. He's a tubby dude.

Put it this way, whenever he had a bad game at UCONN, it wasn't because he carried too much body fat. It's because he played like crap.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a bigger body type and carrying extra body fat. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Khalid would have been a better player if he dropped 10-15 pounds of fat. He still would have been pretty stocky, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt his quickness.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
More likely, Nurse will be playing for Chong. Nurse is a scrapper like Faris, and will be able to fill that role given more experience over the year.
That's the way he's doing things now subbing Nurse in for Chong. But if Chong improves her d my guess is he might be subbing Nurse in for KML. KML will never get better on d. Chong may getter better. If she doesn't than yes, Nurse in for Chong.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
She's got way more game than people are giving her credit for. Strong as an ox, can board, pass and bang. Has gotten way better at drawing fouls than when she came in. She's a first team AA type player.

She wasn't great last night, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
If she was a center, I'd say being strong as an ox would be a major asset, but at her position that translates into slow reflexes, foot work, and an inability to get up and down the court. At her position, having a motor is the key attribut I want to see. Granted, she 'ain't no size two' body type and will never be, but she's a D1 athlete whose conditioning has worsened since she's been a Husky. It's a fair critism. This isn't about picking on her. Carrying extra weight also puts stress on a player's knees which will shorten her career later. I'm amazed she's been able to survive Geno's supposedly killer practices with her conditioning level.

Reaction Score
As a fairly regular poster on the woman's board, and an avid UCONN Basketball fan (both teams) I agree that:
1. Its early enough to make the necessary adjustments
2. Geno is not the best in OT coaching decisions
3. Ridiculously bad defense last night - even I could've driven to the basket
4. Horrible shot selection - especially down the stretch
5. KML - though a top notch player - could stand to work with a nutritionist to help her stamina and quickness. That said - we really don't know what her eating patterns are like since I don't think any of us travels with the team. I know I don't.

Great analysis on this board.

WE ARE DOOMED!! DOOMED I SAY! Edited to add: Maybe we need to borrow Senor T!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As a fairly regular poster on the woman's board, and an avid UCONN Basketball fan (both teams) I agree that:
5. KML - though a top notch player - could stand to work with a nutritionist to help her stamina and quickness. That said - we really don't know what her eating patterns are like since I don't think any of us travels with the team. I know I don't.

I'm pretty sure that would not go over so well on the WBBB, but I wholeheartedly encourage you trying. (grabs popcorn)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They need scores and Chong was on fire from the three last night. I think they could end up on the court together in some games. The question is who would sit?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Re: point 5 I believe she already is and is working on her conditioning. There's nothing that was said on this board that she isn't aware of.

Reaction Score
Eh, there's also a good portion that take every opportunity to tell you just how pathetic WCBB is, which stems from god knows what.
To do a little psychology - I think it stems from many supporters of women's basketball believing, and vocally presenting their beliefs, that women's basketball is something it is not.

Examples include - "fundamentally sound." "played the right way." and my personal favorite: "could beat some men's teams."

I think the last one is the one that sets people off the most. I remember back in the Rebecca Lobo era when my good friend first discovered sports and told me that, "the women's team could play the men's team close." I responded with, "if the men's team played that game seriously, the woman's team would have trouble scoring 10 points." He got all angry and defensive. Meanwhile, I had played thousands of hours of basketball and he was, essentially, a non-athlete.

Doesn't really bother me - I like the top of the woman's game. I find it fun to watch the top teams playing. I like the rivalries. Thought the nappy headed hoes at Rutgers thing was awesome. Tennessee/UConn is fun. Notre Dame's rise is interesting. But I don't get bothered when the fans oversell the product. That's fine with me. It's their thing, and it's good they're proud of it.

I can see, however, that it really chafes some hardcore bball fans when they do things like compare mbb and wbb all time records. The only thing the two sports have in common are the equipment and the rules.

So I think that's why people go out of their way to knock it - they're not being nasty for the sake of nasty, they're trying to, inelegantly, inform the wbb fans that they are not the same as mbb.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
She played at Vandy, apparently. She looked smokin' hot last night. Oh and apparently she's a twin...

th

Jasmine and Cinnamon.

Reminds me of the part in Office Space where the guy was asked "what would you do with a million dollars?"

2 chiks at the same time, in this case flavored with a lil jasmine & cinnamon

Last edited:

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
KLM is out of shape and a defensive liability.

I think she may have took advantage of Bazz starving from last year, with the new unlimited meal plan

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So when the women's team loses in a close game to the #6 team in the country, after going undefeated for 47 games, it's because the women's game isn't "fundamentally sound." Yet when the men play terribly against D 1-AA teams all you hear is wait till March....interesting...

Reaction Score
So when the women's team loses in a close game to the #6 team in the country, after going undefeated for 47 games, it's because the women's game isn't "fundamentally sound." Yet when the men play terribly against D 1-AA teams all you hear is wait till March....interesting...

Yeah WCBB has it's sloppy play and lack of parity but odd to use last night's game to jump over the sport. Even with the mistakes it was a good game. I am currently watching 2 ranked men's team right now, San Diego State and Utah, and the score is 30-24 with 9 mins to go.
Despite what cheerleaders like Jon Rothstein would have you believe, there is some awful men's college hoops being played too.

Reaction Score
I can see, however, that it really chafes some hardcore bball fans when they do things like compare mbb and wbb all time records. The only thing the two sports have in common are the equipment and the rules.

Except the ball is smaller. I remember people on the Women's board arguing with me when I said it is easier to shoot. I was told the smaller ball makes it harder to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom