UConn women | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, if any of this was said about a men's player in any sport, would anyone come to their defense? Especially if true.
probably not, but it's admittedly a double standard.

my point is it's not like she ballooned. she's always been built that way. she also made like 10 threes in the opening game. if the team fails to win a championship this year I'm confident it won't be because of KML

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Stanford lost their best player who was virtually their entire team last year in Ogwumike.

The difference is many of Stanford's players put in work and improved. Some on UConn, namely the 2 seniors, did not.

UConn has 2 All Americans. That should have been enough to win that game tonight. They could have learned some lessons without losing. Every time a team really punches back and it comes down to the wire (happens maybe once every 2 years) they usually look frazzled and confused both coaches and players. They needed one defense stop that last minute and never came close to getting in topped off with matador defense on Stanford's best guard up 3 in final seconds.
Yeah Stamford did lose Ogumike (sp?) and had to institute a new offense. I think it surprised the coaching staff. Yes, the defense was horrible, but I think it hard to overstate the loss of Dolson and Hartley. The entire offense ran through Dolson. Hartley was a solid defender and threat to take the three or slash. That is incredibly hard to replace. They lost in overtime in an away game to top 6 team. It's not the end of the world.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
probably not, but it's admittedly a double standard.

my point is it's not like she ballooned. she's always been built that way. she also made like 10 threes in the opening game. if the team fails to win a championship this year I'm confident it won't be because of KML
Nah, she "ballooned" last year when she was injured. It be costly to her, if she doesn't get into better shape. She's considered the likely #1 WBA draft choice. I can see GMs having doubts about that if she doesn't get into better shape.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What is the name of this assistant?

B2shP18CAAAUkgg.jpg

At the risk of sounding like an old lecherous pig, I don't know her name but after standing behind her at the game in Davis I can report she has one of the best rear ends you will ever see on a basketball court.

Reaction Score
The next time someone is blabbing a about how fundamentally sound women's basketball is..

1. Down 3, drive for a layup with 2 seconds
2. After missing the first free throw... making the second is so crazy it's hard to quantify.

Same exact thing happened in the Miami-Florida game earlier. Rodriguez from Miami was at the line, up one, with two seconds left and missed the front and hit the back. Almost cost them - Florida got a decent look.

Reaction Score
you guys are being pretty harsh. the girl has always been built on the bigger side plus she's had to deal with some injuries. she's also an all-american talent.
I agree. No reason for personal attacks, especially toward our own players. Not cool...not cool at all! Cut it out!

Reaction Score
amory said:
probably not, but it's admittedly a double standard. my point is it's not like she ballooned. she's always been built that way. she also made like 10 threes in the opening game. if the team fails to win a championship this year I'm confident it won't be because of KML

Only thing is, she has always been able to hide on defense - Faris had the tough defensive assignments her first two years and Hartley had them last year, and rarely needed help. Now that she's playing alongside Chong, who can't guard anyone either, they took turns getting exposed. Stanford scored almost 90 points and had eight assists. They did it all by attacking off the dribble. And they'll see much better athletes and scorers at the 2/3 this year.

The other side of that equation is that by not being able to guard the wing positions, it puts a lot of pressure on Stewart defensively to be a shot blocker and help defender, which wears her down a little more. She only had two points in the last 12 minutes and kind of hid in overtime.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nah, she "ballooned" last year when she was injured. It be costly to her, if she doesn't get into better shape. She's considered the likely #1 WBA draft choice. I can see GMs having doubts about that if she doesn't get into better shape.
I don't see how she goes #1 with her game so limited now. She doesn't have a great handle, she can't get off the ground to rebound, and she can't draw a foul to save her life. She's a brilliant outside shooter, but that can also be shut down with larger, quicker defenders like she saw tonight.

Reaction Score
I agree. No reason for personal attacks, especially toward our own players. Not cool...not cool at all! Cut it out!

If her game is suffering because of it(And the team), it is a legitimate criticism.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like an old lecherous pig, I don't know her name but after standing behind her at the game in Davis I can report she has one of the best rear ends you will ever see on a basketball court.
I noticed the same during a timeout

Reaction Score
I don't see how she goes #1 with her game so limited now. She doesn't have a great handle, she can't get off the ground to rebound, and she can't draw a foul to save her life. She's a brilliant outside shooter, but that can also be shut down with larger, quicker defenders like she saw tonight.

Completely Agree.

I really like KML but I while watching the game I also thought that she looks heavy and out of shape. Doesn't move well, plays little to no defense.

Terrific shooter but seems like a limited game that has not progressed much in her time in Storrs.. If Im wrong in this statement, I welcome feedbackk to the contrary - just explain hoe exactly her overall game has improved.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I have to laugh at the piling on here after one loss by one hoop in OT 3.000 miles from home.
Agreed. There's jealousy even in here. People ripping kml for her is size when she can ball and has one of the best looking shots I've seen. It's honestly pretty pathetic.

They lost to a good team, that always plays them hard, in ot, away, and without dolson. You can tell how badly they miss dolson. New pieces, new places

Reaction Score

Agree on personal attacks but she isn't in good shape. It started after her injury last year and has not gotten better. She plays basketball all day how does it happen? I get the "fire hydrant/bowling ball" build and I agree she has a tough body to be thin. But she's not at her best and it shows. She's out there like she's standing still on D, can't guard anyone with any quickness and when it's not UC Davis and the other team has people who can shadow, she can't get open looks. She's not only hurting herself she's killing the team. The kid shoots the crap out of the ball, potentially the best shooter in all of women basketball. Need to know how to be sure that gets you places and being out of shape isn't going to help.

And Soniya Chong had an open look from the top of the key for 3-4 seconds before she drove to the hole - can't happen - have to take a 3. Can't drive to the hole with just over 3 seconds left in the women's game not enough time against a good defense to get the ball up court after fouling.

Interesting year, they will be tested and people other than Stewart and KML will need to make some shots form the perimeter. Stokes and others need to learn how to help on D and be prepared for the lack of perimeter D. Didn't think they would miss Hartley and Dolson that much but it looks like they may. Tuck needs to get her legs back, get quicker and play a full game as well as Nurse stepping up. Jefferson can't shoot and needs to shoot less and guard people closer, keep herself between the basket and her offensive player. She needs to pull a Boat! LOL

Reaction Score
Agreed. There's jealousy even in here. People ripping kml for her is size when she can ball and has one of the best looking shots I've seen. It's honestly pretty pathetic.

They lost to a good team, that always plays them hard, in ot, away, and without dolson. You can tell how badly they miss dolson. New pieces, new places

She can shoot - great. Can't get open against good defenders who chase her around. Is that pathetic or did it just ring true?

Damn because they're women and win by 80 all the time they can't be critiqued for obvious flaws in the team? Relax

Reaction Score
Geno would be ripped as a men's coach for some of his late game "coaching". The refs gave UConn a free timeout to check the clock, and yet when the clock was set, nobody knew who was supposed to take the ball out of bounds - and you end up passing the ball to your center 80 feet from the basket, who passes it back to the inbounder. It would have taken a miracle (2.6 isn't enough time in the women's game usually), but that wasn't the way to get it.

UConn shot 18 foot jumpers with 20 seconds on the shot clock on both possessions between 1:00-2:00 left - one from Stewart up by five (I expect much better judgment from a POY) and one from Stokes up by three (who under no circumstances should be shooting jumpers in the last two minutes). Idiotic. And they had no clue how to defend the three on the last possession. Jefferson didn't guard anyone - she just left her man to bring help where it wasn't needed and stopped half way and gave up a wide open look. This is mostly a veteran team, so I would expect them to look like they've been coached in late game situations. Stanford needed a three to tie and executed something and got a good look. We needed a three to tie and dribbled around for 17 seconds and went for two.

Geno is outstanding at game planning, but put him in a close game late and he's often out of his element. The weak side alley oop with 17 seconds left in a tie Big East championship game was one of the worst coaching calls I've ever seen.
They lost one game... It's post like that make this place so impossible.
Are you really extrapolating that a coach who has won 9 championships and done it by challenging the other top teams each year, can't coach because his team lost in mid-November.
The guy is so good, any loss is unexpected. And yet people here expect more.
And these are the same posters that set the tone for men's bb and FB.

Reaction Score
Are you really extrapolating that a coach who has won 9 championships and done it by challenging the other top teams each year, can't coach because his team lost in mid-November.

Geno's a great coach that is more than obvious. But let's not protect him from criticism. He's 0-5 in OT games the last 10 seasons and that doesn't happen much now does it? And how many games during the season do they play where you can actually critique him or the players because they are not winning by 80? Geez they aren't untouchable for crying out loud!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
She can shoot - great. Can't get open against good defenders who chase her around. Is that pathetic or did it just ring true?

Damn because they're women and win by 80 all the time they can't be critiqued for obvious flaws in the team? Relax

Huskyforlife, post: 1130738, member: 3403"]KML is fat………

There's a difference between saying the team stinks or kml has regressed bc of her injury and dozens of posts making fun of her weight. No one said anything when they were winning. Could giff beat his man off the dribble? No he was a shooter. There were phantom calls, they played Stewart really hard and rarely got called for it, and the biggest thing like I said is hey kiss dolson. Her size and experience.

Reaction Score
Huskyforlife, post: 1130738, member: 3403"]KML is fat………

There's a difference between saying the team stinks or kml has regressed bc of her injury and dozens of posts making fun of her weight. No one said anything when they were winning. Could giff beat his man off the dribble? No he was a shooter. There were phantom calls, they played Stewart really hard and rarely got called for it, and the biggest thing like I said is hey kiss dolson. Her size and experience.

Yeah and the way they played Stewart was then way they played Dolson a lot last year - questionable but physical and guess what, so are many more teams but only a few have the players to do so. "hey kiss" Dolson huh? You have a MAC too changing words on you? LOL

Hey there's a huge difference in KML and Giffey. KML can handle and women shouldn't be able to guard her by now. It's on her she can't get open and she can't guard me never mind a young woman with quickness, she looked like her feet were in concrete. Hate to say it but obvious is what it is. She'll make shots and she'll get open against lesser teams all night. But her "weaknesses" were painfully obvious last night against some athletic girls.

Reaction Score
Not to mention over the last 10 years he's 323-23, which is a 93.3% winning percentage.

But when you win 93% of the time, you spoil people.

Reaction Score
Not to mention over the last 10 years he's 323-23, which is a 93.3% winning percentage.

But when you win 93% of the time, you spoil people.

93% of time when 95% of those were by 80. Please if anyone is spoiled it's you people who believe they can't be criticized. That's ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom